Rear-end went very bad | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear-end went very bad

X2 ! Thank you for sharing, Hawk. Guess everyone doesn't think like we do.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious,

My 03 ST is making the same noise when going around turns and sometimes if I hit bumps. it does it more when the ground is wet, were you able to feel it on the floor and in the seat before it went. mine has be clunking for a while now and the Dealer cant find anything wrong.

Just curious,

My 03 ST is making the same noise when going around turns and sometimes if I hit bumps. it does it more when the ground is wet, were you able to feel it on the floor and in the seat before it went. mine has be clunking for a while now and the Dealer cant find anything wrong.

What rear axle do you have? If you do not know, what is the axle code on the sticker on the drivers door?
Your problem maybe easier to fix, depending on the rear.

Are you sure its coming from the rear? Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing in the front.

A similar thing happened to my son's Mustang just a few months ago. The crosspin broke, causing the spider gears to fall out while he was going 70 mph on the freeway, thus sending shrapnel throughout the diff. It was pretty ugly in there. Used axle was $350, labor and some parts were about the same. The shop I use for stuff I can't do myself assured me that installing a used axle was cheaper than fixing the old one.

P.S. After installing the axle, we found that 5th gear was non-existent. Apparently the rear end locked up for a second when it broke, thus taking out 5th gear. Used tranny, new clutch kit, flywheel, u-joints, labor, another $1000.

Anyone know of any parts connected to the frame or body that could be loose or broken or suspension maybe? happens most when wet

Josh, you should start your own thread with this issue.

Back