Cruise Control Problem on '03 Sport Trac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Problem on '03 Sport Trac

I have an issue with my cruise control also. My steering wheel is from an explorer that didnt have it. Waaaaaaa!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That may not be your only problem.........................:bsnicker:................:D

yeah, dont rub it in!

04 sport trac cruise issues continue...ughhhhh

I have replaced my switches, wire harness, and control module under the hood and every time I try to activate the cruise all i get is the really quick single flash of the dash cruise indicator light. Crusie still does not engage. Cananyone help please????

My 03 aviatior does it too

Sometimes it works. Most the time it doesn't. Sometimes the light comes on and stays on, but the speed continues to fall. Sometimes the light comes on and goes off immediately. Other times the light does not even come on.

callin all experts please

I am still unable to get the cruise to work after replacing the control module and wires/ switches. I have been unable to locate a relay is there one for the cruise? also can anyone help figure out why the cruise does not work on my 04, pleaseeeeeeeeeeee

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I'll try and help you. Exactly what have you replaced? Are your brake lights operating properly?

Principles of Operation

The speed control system is designed to maintain a selected vehicle speed between 48 and 200 km/h (30 and 125 mph).

Whenever the system is engaged and active, a speed control set indicator will be illuminated in the instrument cluster.

The brake pedal position (BPP) switch is normally closed to ground. When the brake pedal is applied with the speed control system engaged, the BPP switch closes to battery voltage, putting the speed control in stand-by mode.

NOTE: The speed control module is integral to the speed control servo.

Normally, when the brake pedal is pressed, the speed control module deactivates the speed control system. Under increased brake pedal effort, the deactivator switch, a normally closed switch, will open and remove power to the speed control servo clutch, releasing the throttle independently of the speed control module.

The clockspring provides the electrical interface between the steering column wiring and the speed control switches in the steering wheel.

The inputs to the speed control servo are the:

vehicle speed signal
speed control switches
brake pedal position (BPP) switch
deactivator switch
The outputs of the speed control servo are the:

speed control indicator
speed control cable controlled throttle position

Inspection and Verification

NOTE: If any concerns are noted with the speedometer, stoplamps, or horn, address those concerns by referring to the appropriate sections before continuing speed control diagnosis.

Verify the customer concern.
NOTE: Any aftermarket modifications, including but not limited to those listed below, may cause the speed control to not operate correctly:

Any wiring or lamp modifications affecting the brake lamp operation
LED brake lamps
Non-factory installed trailer wiring
Radios (speed sensitive, auto mute)
Remote starters and alarms
Lighting and electrical accessory modifications

Visually inspect for obvious signs of mechanical or electrical damage:
Visually inspect the speed control actuator and accelerator controls.
Visually inspect the speed control cable without removing it and ensure smooth cable operation. Inspect the speed control cable connection to the throttle body.
Visually inspect the accelerator cable without removing it and ensure smooth cable operation. Inspect the accelerator cable connection to the throttle body. Also check for cable interference with the carpet, bulkhead grommet, insulation and instrument panel wiring.

One day I was driving with the cruise activated and for some the cruise turned itself off on it's own. It would not recactivate. driving that night I noticed that the lights on the switches were not working either. Assuming that the switch went bad I replaced it. The light in the switch now works but the crruise sill not. The dash indicator flashes for a mili second on off and nothing else. The horn works fine and all dash lights, brake lights, turn signals, wipers, wiper washer, ect work fine. the only thing nor working is the cruise. So i went a step further and since i got one dirt cheap i replaced the servo unit under the hood. cruise still not working.

after reading other threads I am now wonder if it is posible that the clock spring has gone bad for this one thing? I really appreciate any help you can offer since i am really at a loss.

have you figured it out yet we have the exact same problem

Nope, still have not figured it out and cant affford to take it to a shop. ughhhhh

My 04 ST XLT is having CC problems also..but I have noticed during this cold chill we are having my CC is working fine..I do not know why it works with it is cold outside

Cruise Control FIXED!!!

I had the same problem. After reading about many different things people have tried and expenses, I decided to bring it in under the $100 warranty deductable.

They fixed it in a day for what they lead me to believe was common enough problem that they had the parts.

Talked to tech. Turns out they they replace a brake switch in AT the Master Cylinder. From posts, I thought the brake switch at the pedal would be bad, but it was a switch at the Master Cylinder. Since it was warranty, I don't know how much of it was fake on the report, but they show they had to drain brake fluid, replace switch, then added fluid back.

Problem solved. Been working since like a new car. $100 for a switch - damn. Oh well, works now.

PS. Also had a remote start installed which uses the factory remote. LOVE IT.

Michail
michail.com - primarymeds.com

Just make sure they give you the black switch if you buy one, and NOT the red one.

Still having that problem????

:feedback:
I'm have a problem with my cruise control engaging. I push the "on" button and then the "set" button and all I get is a blink on the instrument cluster light to show the cruise is on. It never engages. Speed ranges were from 45-65 mph on a flat road. Any help?

Have you found an answer to your poblem on the curise control. Mine has been intermediate, but seems to be consant now.

The switch on the master cylinder is usually the culprit. Have the dealer run an OASIS to see if your truck needs the recall prior to purchasing the switch yourself. As stated above, make sure you get the black switch. (sorry michail1, didn't see your last post)
Cruiseswitchcomparison.jpg

Cruise control fixed.

Sorry, forgot to respond.

Since mine was in warranty ($100 deductible), I decided to bring it in. Just in case it was more than just a possible switch (and they provided a rental car for the day).

I am confirming it was the switch on the brake master cyclinder.
They replaced it with a Black plastic one. Obvious it is new.

Yes, my problem was intermittant at first, and then became a full time problem over several months.

Problem has been fixed since I brought it in several months ago.

2003 Sport Trac 2/wd. Cruise doesn't work at all, also horn doesn't work???

Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cruise

Sounds like you have a power issue.
Check the fuses?

Back