1997 Ford Explorer 2 door 4.0L SOHC knock. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer 2 door 4.0L SOHC knock.

mike97ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello! I hope maybe I can get some help, the 4.0 I have has a knock like a diesel engine. It started about 24000 miles ago. I dont understand, the oil pressure is good, no pully problems. And runs the best. any ideas? I refuse to agree thats the nature of the horse...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Don't rely upon the reading of the stock pressure gauge or indicator light. Remove the sending unit, and screw in a test gauge to get an accurate PSI reading.

For starters I would use the highest auctane fuel as that will reduce the knock. Most likely the cause is carbon build-up in the combustion chamber. The carbon gets hot easy and creates hot spots that can cause a dieseling situation.

Secondly I would make sure you have the Motorcraft or autolight thin wire plugs. the other ones are less than satisfactory.

How did the carbon get in the C/C? Poor firing for a long time.

How to get it out. Well you can pull the heads and clean it out. If it is physically imposable for you to do that then you can try A can of Sea Foam (plenty of threads here and for good reason). The look of your plugs tells a story.

Knock location?

Are you sure that you're not hearing timing chain rattle?

Does the knock sound external to the engine? Are the motor mounts in good condition? Could it be coming from the exhaust system being loose? Have you modified the intake system with no allowance for engine movement?

Does the knock sound internal to the engine? Have you maintained the oil system properly? Have you checked the oil level frequently making sure it is never low? Changed the oil filter and oil at normal intervals? Does the knock sound low or high in the engine? Does it change with engine speed?

The SOHC is equipped with a knock sensor to prevent detonation. It causes the PCM to retard the ignition advance when knock is detected. You should not hear any knock due to fuel if the knock sensor/PCM is working correctly.

The 97 Explorer that knocks

Well, Here is what this Explorer does, When its cold out like this morning (ohio) 24... There was not knock one,,,but once she warmed up it started and the warmer it got the louder it gets... Could it be lifters? Cam? A couple of friends say there known for the lifters. The 4.0 that is...Hey folks thanks for all your help :navajo::thumbsup:

Tick vs knock

Doesn't match timing chain rattle which is worst when engine is cold. Valve train noise usually sounds more like ticking than knocking. Piston pin and piston knock is usually the worst when the engine is cold. The power steering pump, water pump and A/C compressor can sometimes produce a knock. Connecting rod bearing knock is louder when the engine is unloaded. Main bearing knock is louder when the engine is loaded. The air conditioner compressor is useful in loading the engine when listening for knocks. You can use a two or three feet long hose to listen with and try and isolate the source of the knock. You can remove the serpentine belt and run the engine for a minute or two to eliminate the alternator, water pump, power steering pump and A/C compressor as the source. Has the knock gotten any louder in the last 24,000 miles?

Not sure where to post this...
I just got a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport 4wd. It has a clicking or higher pitched knocking (constant, sounds like it comes from the top or front of the engine). It sounds plastic-y and it never stops.

I just got the vehicle so I don't know how long it has been doing this.

I started pricing engines and it seems that they aren't plentiful - the ones I have found have very high mileage. The cheapest is $700 for a motor with 110k.

I was going to replace the engine because I thought it would be cheaper than the labor costs of having a mechanic seek out the problem and fix it.

Any thoughts?

The guy who sold it to me said he thinks that it is the "caskets" that guide the timing chain. Has anyone heard of this?

Cassettes not caskets

The guy who sold it to me said he thinks that it is the "caskets" that guide the timing chain. Has anyone heard of this?

The mechanic probably meant cassettes that include the timing chain, sprockets and guides. The cassettes are shown in the photo below.
ChainKet.jpg

hearing timing chain rattle? every morning when i start my 97 ford explorer xl 4-door fulltime awd with 5-speed automatic 4.0 e.f.i what the deal

hearing timing chain rattle? every morning when i start my 97 ford explorer xl 4-door fulltime awd with 5-speed automatic 4.0 e.f.i what the deal

best way for the guys on here to diagnose your problem is to get it on video tape and post it up on here. Thats what i did awhile ago and the guys were pretty much dead on being one of the tensioners. I just got around to opening the engine up and it was the balance shaft tensioner that was broke

hearing timing chain rattle? every morning when i start my 97 ford explorer xl 4-door fulltime awd with 5-speed automatic 4.0 e.f.i what the deal DOES ANYBODY HAVE PICTURES THANK YOU

Back