Interchangeable parts between the Explorer, and the Mountaineer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interchangeable parts between the Explorer, and the Mountaineer.

I just bought a 1997 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 v8. I was wondering what parts are interchangeable between the explorers of that generation and the mountaineer for example like tailights, headlights, grilles, that sort of thing.

Thanks,
Robby

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Almost all interior parts that do not have the Mercury or Ford logos on them are interchangeable for 95-01s. The doors, liftgate, glass, and windshield are also interchangeable among 95-97s. My 1998 Explorer was basically pieced together from a 1997 Mountaineer.

What about headlights and taillight? Also do the grill inserts fit?

The '97 Mounty used the same headlights and tailights as the '97 Explorer. The grille shell is slightly different. I know others have put the '97 grille on their Explorers. All bets are off in '98 as the Mounty headlights and grille were much different than the Explorer. Mounty and 4 door Explorers shared tailights until '02.

Well the tailights changed in 98 for the explorer and the mountaineer. They fit in the 95-97 explorers and mountaineers but they stick out because the liftgate is different. And explorer healights 95-01 will fit your mountaineer. The grill insert, though, cannot be taken apart to place the mercury symbol on it. It comes as a whole unit. Celly is right about the 98 grill and headlight changes. Now, you can swap out the front of 98-01 with yours, but its a real pain. You can also do this with the liftgate and the taillights.

Well the tailights changed in 98 for the explorer and the mountaineer. They fit in the 95-97 explorers and mountaineers but they stick out because the liftgate is different. And explorer healights 95-01 will fit your mountaineer. The grill insert, though, cannot be taken apart to place the mercury symbol on it. It comes as a whole unit. Celly is right about the 98 grill and headlight changes. Now, you can swap out the front of 98-01 with yours, but its a real pain. You can also do this with the liftgate and the taillights.

How far would the tail lights stick out?

A 95-97 explorers tailights are the same as the mountaineers but the 98-01 tailights slope outward toward the top. They are flush with the bottom of the liftgate so the top of the 98-01s might catch the gate.

95-97 and 98-01 tails are interchangeable but look like crap if you're dumb enough to do it. I think Joe Dirt has a thread in the archives that shows this.

What I meant when I said the Mounty and Ex share tails in the 2nd gen holds true, taking into account the changes in tail design in 98.
Posted via Mobile Device

interchangeable tailgates

Not to resurrect a 6 yr old thread, but what years explorer/mountaineer tailgate will fit a 98 mountaineer? I was told ONLY a 98 mountaineer tailgate will fit a 98 mounty...nothing else. Mine is rusted beyond repair on the bottom. I want to get a "newer" on on it.

Any 98-01 Explorer/ Mounty and 98-02 Sport is a direct swap. Just switch the Ford and Mercury badging. 98 Explorers do not have mounting for the tailgate trim though 03 Sports have rear wiper in the window and it will not function correctly with our wiring.

Any 98-01 Explorer/ Mounty and 98-02 Sport is a direct swap. Just switch the Ford and Mercury badging. 98 Explorers do not have mounting for the tailgate trim though 03 Sports have rear wiper in the window and it will not function correctly with our wiring.

thanks! Guess my local junk yard guy doesn't know as much as he tries to make people think

Not sure if anyone sees this thread anymore, but I’m looking to replace the center console lid for my 2007 Ford Explorer. They tend to be hard to come by, so I was wondering if I could use one from a Mercury Mountaineer? (Or if anyone has a black one available, let me know...)

iirc having seen mounties i believe they are the same, but cant confirm for sure. @DemonMudder is in jacksonville maybe he knows of a good JY int he area

Not sure of any down south in Orlando, but here in Jax we got at least two good ones. Go Pull-It and Ace Pick A Part, I don't use Ace so much, brother does and says it's usually good, Go is where I go and usually have successful trips. Want to head out there in the next few weeks anyway, I can take a look for ya. I know for the second gen X, the X and mounty were literally identical and everything was swappable, I would think yours is too but I'm not as familiar with that age.

Not sure of any down south in Orlando, but here in Jax we got at least two good ones. Go Pull-It and Ace Pick A Part, I don't use Ace so much, brother does and says it's usually good, Go is where I go and usually have successful trips. Want to head out there in the next few weeks anyway, I can take a look for ya. I know for the second gen X, the X and mounty were literally identical and everything was swappable, I would think yours is too but I'm not as familiar with that age.
Thanks for that offer. I was actually looking at heading out to some pick & pull yards. Looking at their inventory I saw they had both Fords and Mercuries, which is what actually prompted my question. Let me see if I get lucky. If not, I may circle back.

Thanks for that offer. I was actually looking at heading out to some pick & pull yards. Looking at their inventory I saw they had both Fords and Mercuries, which is what actually prompted my question. Let me see if I get lucky. If not, I may circle back.
10-4, let us know how it goes, wish ya luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How'd it go, any luck? May go out to one tomorrow or Thursday if ya still need it

Back