Custom tune by Henson | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom tune by Henson

Anything mechanical (slap or otherwise) could trigger the knock sensors. I never encountered this issue with my Ex. I have seen it before but it was due to loose timing chains, slop in the bottom end,etc. I can fix this in the tune to finalize the tuning but it is notthe proper way to (calibrate within the tune). Temporarily we are going to turn off the knock sensors get the timing in the vehicle and roll. This is just a temporary measure then when the tune if finalized we will turn everything back on. Dale just FYI, I have a 2 day dyno event Jan 15 & 16th-so my coverage will be a little spotty. I will send your modded tune out this morning before the event starts.

OH yeah i forgot to mention, the knock sensors are designed to pull timing faster than return. That way when timing is sensed you the sensors react with xxxx timing being pulled and then slowly put it back in. If you add timing back in too quickly it will knock again then you get a bucking/jerking feeling while in a WOT pull.-j

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

James - I wouldn't turn off the knock sensor completely - Just have restrict to 2 degrees at the higher RPM's.

Also, work with the delay settings when going to open loop.

Custom tune complete!

The performance phase of the custom tune development process is complete! Prior to my last 2nd gear WOT acceleration on my selected uphil mountain grade James provided me with a tune desensitizing the knock sensor input. My subsequent pull datalog showed good ignition timing and near optimum A/F ratio throughout the entire engine speed range. My acceleration time was the quickest of all previous tests. James was satisfied with the results and I was delighted! I then received two final tunes from James both enabling the user adjustable options such as maximum vehicle speed. One tune has the stock knock sensor sensitivity and the other has the desensitized knock sensor.

Contrary to the concerns expressed by some forum members when I posted my intent to incorporate a racing 75mm throttle body and 90mm Lightning MAF sensor, I do not have any noticeable driveability issues. Cold weather starts are reliable. Idle control is as steady as stock. Throttle control during acceleration (light, moderate and WOT) and cruise is completely satisfactory.

In addition my transmission shift points at light throttle to WOT are vastly improved. The above are no doubt due to James' tuning expertise. I am extremely pleased with what has been accomplished!

Fuel economy and dyno testing are planned but first I must tear down my engine and correct my timing chain issues and knock sensor sensitivity. I consider myself lucky to have completed the tune development without experiencing timing chain failure!

James - I wouldn't turn off the knock sensor completely - Just have restrict to 2 degrees at the higher RPM's.

Also, work with the delay settings when going to open loop.

That was the 1st thing I tried, no-go! I have dumbed down the sensors significantly just to be able to not get it to intervene. There is definately some noise being picked up.-j

What kind of gains do you get?

Definitely going to consider getting an x3 after my tax return comes in :). any reason I shouldn't? I do plan to do some later modifications to the engine though, like a coil pack, electric fan, high amp alternator. I have a CAI, A/C Delete and am working on an exhaust (catalytic converter below efficiency so I'm doing a custom exhaust from cats to tailpipe). Which mods would directly affect a tune? should I focus on certain ones more than others before purchasing a tuner? Also does the A/C delete change anything about a tune? Just asking because the answers may change what order I do things in. explorer is a 97 sport sohc 4x4

gains?

What kind of gains do you get?

Don't know yet. The day after the tune was completed I started pulling the engine to replace timing chain components. However, just the transmission shift point changes were worth the cost.

exhaust may affect tune

Definitely going to consider getting an x3 after my tax return comes in :). any reason I shouldn't? I do plan to do some later modifications to the engine though, like a coil pack, electric fan, high amp alternator. I have a CAI, A/C Delete and am working on an exhaust (catalytic converter below efficiency so I'm doing a custom exhaust from cats to tailpipe). Which mods would directly affect a tune? should I focus on certain ones more than others before purchasing a tuner? Also does the A/C delete change anything about a tune? Just asking because the answers may change what order I do things in. explorer is a 97 sport sohc 4x4

I suspect the only thing that might affect the tune is the exhaust mod. I would complete that before starting the tune.

On hold

So any update on the gains from your tune?

My dyno testing is on hold pending replacement of the knock sensor which is retarding the ignition timing.

The knock sensor replacement is on hold pending resolution of a newly occurring transmission 3>4 shift flare.

im about to order the same part. have a couple questions about raising the rpms...i would like to increase my rmps so that my voltage stays up while the car is in park to keep my voltage up for my soundsystem. is that posiblle with the X3 Powerflash???
thanx

Forced induction custom tune

My normally aspirated performance baseline is 170 rwhp and 206 rwtq. I am resuming this thread to document the generation and testing of a remote custom tune by James Henson for my new vehicle configuration:

Eaton M90 supercharger from 1991 Thunderbird
2.7" dia keyed supercharger pulley
Lightning 90 mm MAF sensor
Mustang 75 mm racing throttle body
Aeromotive Stealth 340 fuel pump 11142
Siemans Deka 4 high impedance (long style) injectors with EV1 connector (60 lbs/hr @ 43.5 psi)
Custom high flow exhaust

My target maximum boost is 8 psi. I tried to size the blower pulley to match the low pressure exhaust system to achieve the desired boost. The current fuel pressure is 67 psi but I plan to incorporate an electronic fuel pump controller (FPC) set to 43.5 psi. Edit: I decided to set the FPC pressure to 39.15 psi which is the target specified differential fuel pressure for the Deka 4 injectors.

I tried the initial tune today and the engine started but would not idle because the air/fuel ratio was almost 10:1. I was able to datalog a few seconds of engine run time and sent the file to James for review. I'll work on a coolant leak and vacuum/boost gauge installation while waiting for another tune from James.

2nd tune received

I received an updated tune from James this morning. He mainly just leaned the a/f ratio at idle to mid range since the datalog I sent was very short (just barely switched to closed loop) and I was fluttering the throttle to keep the engine running. I'll load it and try it after I finish reworking the remote IAC valve. I'll probably wait until I get the electronic fuel pump controller working before I send James another datalog since the lower fuel pressure (39.15 instead of 67 psi) will affect the a/f ratio and his tuning.

tricked by a/f meter count down

I performed an engine start and a short datalog today to confirm I have the requested parameters properly selected. I was surprised by the results. When the engine started the a/f ratio was slightly above 10:1 which is what the meter outputs until the 20 second count down for the wideband O2 sensor heater is complete. The ambient temperature was 46 deg F and I had to open the throttle plate a little to keep the engine running. The PCM open loop flag toggled to closed loop 22 seconds after engine start and less than 2 seconds later the a/f ratio jumped to 16:1 as a result of the a/f meter count down being completed. It stayed there for 113 seconds and then dropped to 14.65:1. James mentioned to me that I needed to keep the engine running for about 140 seconds for the PCM to enter closed loop. I don't know why the open loop flag toggles 115 seconds before the PCM starts controlling the a/f ratio based on O2 sensor data.

I now know that for my previous datalog I was tricked by the a/f meter count down and thought the mixture was way rich. I should have realized that if the a/f ratio was 10:1 there would have been plenty of black smoke exiting the tailpipe. Since I was not able to keep the engine running at least 20 seconds I never did have any useful a/f data. I mistakenly told James the a/f was too rich and he leaned it up for the second tune. I'll reload the first tune and perform another datalog after I get the fuel pump controller functional.

Static load step test

I realized that if I connected the previously capped air port on the solid state fuel pressure sensor to the intake manifold the electronic fuel pump controller would maintain a constant pressure delta across the fuel injectors. I had to remove the plenum and a lot of other things to connect the hose. I decreased the injector differential pressure from 43.5 psi to 39 psi - the designed target delta pressure for the injectors. After performing the modification I loaded the latest version of my tune from James and performed a static load step test. With the engine in Park and fully warmed up I datalogged engine pids holding the engine at the following speeds for about 15 seconds: 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500, idle. I'm still having problems with the wideband AFR meter. After counting down for 20 seconds for the heater to warm up the O2 sensor the meter immediately displays the maximum reading (16:1). I changed the scale to increase the maximum to 20:1 and then it displayed 20:1. I didn't need the AFR readings for the step test but soon I will need accurate readings.

driving with no boost

The next phase is datalogging drives that load the engine (avoiding WOT and boost) with the vehicle warmed up and the adaptive fuel capability disabled. With the PCM in closed loop the fuel trims are calculated by the PCM and logged indicating whether the mixture is rich or lean for various engine speeds and loads. It's important to maintain a constant throttle and engine speed long enough for the fuel trims to stabilize. Then James can change the MAF transfer function or the fuel injector slopes to reduce the difference between commanded lambda and actual. Once the lambda is correct at low and mid engine speeds and loads, testing can progress to WOT and boost.

I checked the power and ground connections to the wideband AFR meter and found nothing suspicious. I replaced the wideband O2 sensor but it made no difference.

Another issue with the tunes is the timing is less advanced than desired for normal performance which James is working to correct.

Tip-in spark retard

There is a significant problem with the spark being retarded when the engine speed transitions from idle as the accelerator is depressed (tip-in). Even when the accelerator is slowly depressed the spark rapidly retards - sometimes to 0 degrees advance. The result is very low power and a tendency to buck or stall. The source of the problem is torque reduction or truncation and James has sent me two tune versions to correct it but the problem persists. The fuel ratios are good under low loads but higher loads can't really be tested/adjusted until the tip-in spark retard is fixed.

For my Christmas present I purchased an SCT X3 Power Flash with custom tune from Henson Performance. There has been a lot of praise posted on this forum about James Henson's tuning knowledge and customer support. From my experience to this point in the custom tune development process the praise is warranted. James has been very responsive to my performance requests and my numerous questions. He has drawn on his extensive knowledge to provide a tune that enchances performance while maintaining and even improving driveability compared to the stock PCM program.

My 2000 SOHC engine, transmission and rear axle are completely stock except for the air intake system that consists of a Spectre high flow cone filter with 4 inch diameter outlet feeding a Ford Lightning 90 mm MAF sensor. The 4 inch diameter intake tube reduces to 3 inches just prior to the Ford 75mm ported and polished racing throttle body. An adapter transitions the 75 mm throttle body outlet to the 65 mm upper intake manifold inlet. The photo below shows the intake system.
View attachment 57365
The PCM utilizes the voltage output from the MAF sensor to calculate engine load. Increasing the MAF sensor diameter from 55 mm (stock) to 90 mm results is a large decrease in sensor output voltage for any given airflow. Therefore, a custom tune was required to prevent engine damage due to an excessively lean fuel mixture.

Well, this is an old post and I hope you are still enjoying the extra performance. Unfortunately, it looks like Henson Performance is no longer in operation. All I'm looking for is a way to get my friend's 2004 Explorer XLS back in operation. The poor guy has managed to lose every, single PATS Coded key and doesn't have the money to take it to a dealer for reprogramming, etc. I got an X3 used and contacted SCT about getting a custom tune to eliminate the PATS altogether. All I got in return was they told me to find a dealer near me and contact them.

I'm beginning to think that SCT wants to sell these tuners, take the money and to hell with everyone else! I'm also, thinking I've been sold a bill of goods in a handheld package! SCT make tuners, or SCAM Boxes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your friend's cheapest and least complicated solution is to find a PATS qualified locksmith and get 3 keys made. It will take about 45 minutes and cost around $300. The locksmith with his equipment must be with the vehicle. Either you tow the vehicle to the locksmith or comes to the vehicle.
Your X3 can reprogram the PCM to disable the PATS but only after it downloads an image of the PCM program which requires a PATS recognized key. Reprogramming also requires a custom tune to load into the PCM. The custom tune will cost about $150 or you can purchase SCT's custom tuning capability for about $400. If PATS was easy to defeat it would not be an effective theft deterrent.

Back