Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included)

an alignment is necessary after a torsion twist to correct the camber and toe.

steering will be crap after the torsion twist, due to the alignment being out of spec. A competent alignment shop can correct the alignment which will return the steering wheel to center.

will most likely require camber adjustment bolts also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

k so instead of reading 50 different opinions and i taking an hour can somebody tell me what EXZACTLY needs to be done after the TT

take it for a drive and i HAVE to get it alligned and buy WHAT for How much

also my shackles are 1.25 i think...id like to do the front the same how many turns should it take(roughly) i know alot of people have done it so if u could remeber. one complete 360 with my driver = how much lift?

also what is the best way to measure the lift from a TT. from the bottom of the rim to the fender?

50 opinions? There aren't many "opinions" on what needs to be done and what parts are needed. Just facts.

you will need an alignment afterwards. But drive it around a bit first to make sure the suspension settles.

you will need camber adjustment kits. Get the ones with the most amount of adjustability.

As for how many turns; there is no 100% accurate answer, as it will depend on how "settled" the suspension currently is, along with what bars are on the truck (there's, I believe, 3 different sets of bars, maybe 4?)

And measure from the center of the rim to the bottom of the fender.

does anyone know the stock size/grade/dimensions/thread pitch (etc) for the torsion bolts?

does anyone know the stock size/grade/dimensions/thread pitch (etc) for the torsion bolts?

search for torsion bolt size in the 2nd gen section of the forum.

i already did and couldn't find anything.

thats weird... i put the exact thing in the search, threads/posts and nothing came up... odd.

thanks for finding that though.

Glad I seen this....I did it Monday and noticed the passenger side was going higher quicker than the driver and don't think I've achieved what I was suppose to so guess its time to go to Fastenal.

Simple way of saying is.. Torsion Twist equals crappy stiff ride!

Glad I seen this....I did it Monday and noticed the passenger side was going higher quicker than the driver and don't think I've achieved what I was suppose to so guess its time to go to Fastenal.

driver's side gets more sag due to all the additional weight all the time.
Passenger side doesn't have the driver or gas tank.

always requires more adjustment on the dri side.

you'll notice the same thing with the rear end, driver's side is lower than passenger side.

Yea Gavin that's all true I didn't take that into account.

Ok I am wanting to do the TT as well as the shackles. I bought my 98 ex a year ago so I have no idea if it's been adjusted previous. I have 31 10.50 15's
that rub (slightly) when turning and scrub out when on rough terrain.
Looking at the torsion screws the drivers side seems to be wound out quite far and the passenger side is wound up (not sure how far) but there is a fair difference in the length of these bolts.
I have the aussie version so it is right hand drive with the fuel tank on the passenger side.
However as I am typing this I am recalling my missus telling me that the truck is not level but I have always dismissed this as the driveway not being level and her not knowing what she's talking about. lol.
Maybe I will check properly before I start.
Also being the aussie version I believe I have the highest rated torsion bars will this mean it is more likely to effect the ride?

great job!!!

great job and thank you very much for all the pic it is very helpful when you are just being in this 4x4 stuff.thanks gold

Thank you for this. My main problem is finding a level spot to meausre

First, big thanks to the OP for the pics and writeup! I plan to do this, shackles and SOA sometime this summer (hopefully).

I have one question related to measuring from center of hub. Doesn't this still require the vehicle to be parked on level ground and wouldn't the measurement still be affected by tire pressure/tread depth? I could be wrong but it seems to me like the suspension and lower half of the tire would still be variables. Although I suppose it's better than measuring from the top of the tire in which case you have to worry about the tread at the top of the tire too.

sorry to be the noob in asking this but I have the 99 explorer sport (not the sport trac) 2WD and auto.... I searched for it and found it but don't remember what it said. If i do the TT do I have to worry about the cv issue or am I clear to do 2.5 inches (desired height) shackels coming soon so i have to make sure before i get the shackles made.

-Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry to be the noob in asking this but I have the 99 explorer sport (not the sport trac) 2WD and auto.... I searched for it and found it but don't remember what it said. If i do the TT do I have to worry about the cv issue or am I clear to do 2.5 inches (desired height) shackels coming soon so i have to make sure before i get the shackles made.

-Justin

You do not have to worry about CV issues but keep in mind the more height you get the stiffer the ride will be in the front. Also the factory tbar bolts may not allow you to crank that high so you may need to buy longer bolts and for that info just search on this site for "tbar bolts" there are some threads on the right bolt to use.

Back