HID lights for 2000 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID lights for 2000 Explorer XLT

installed the new hid conversion kit with 8000k bi-xenon bulbs. geez these are bright. pain in the butt to install, but very worth it. they came with no instructions, but found instructions by typing "installation instructions for hid headlights in cars" in the bing search engine. very bright and the bluish tint i was looking for. pics to follow:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just plug and play or did you do a retrofit? Friend did a DDM kit on his Explorer, bright as hell but the lighting sucks, light is scattered all over and can still blind on coming drivers even with it aimed down. The lenses also on the Explorer suck from the factory, least with my Mountaineer we get clear diamond cuts that have way better cut off and way less scatter with a lug and play hid kit, But I'm doing a retrofit with projectors.

I agree with Beach. I used three different kits on mine (including two of those gimmicky bi-xenon kits), and the beam pattern was blotchy and uneven. Took a LOT of tweaking so that people stopped flashing me and that made an already blotchy light pattern look even worse. OK, I had brighter light, but the pattern the setup cast was distracting. After about three years, I did away with the Diamond Cut headlights and replaced with the projector setup I have now. I never get flashed now and the beam pattern is MUCH better.

I agree that the best way to go is a retrofit, but if you don't have the skills, patience and/or money to do one, the projector headlights are the poor man's alternative (and at $200 shipped they aren't necessarily cheap). Sill, they're cheaper than a retrofit and are plug and play for the most part.

If I ever go back to Diamond Cuts, I'll use only halogens (particularly Philips Xtreme which are supposed to be the best 9007 bulbs on the market).

I don't mean to rain of the original poster's parade, but I think you'll see what I mean over time. I salvaged the ballast and wiring from my last bi-xenon kit, scored some H1 capsules for the projectors and never looked back. For the past year I have been very satisfied with this setup. The look of the projectors isn't everyone's cup of tea with the dual beams, but I'm a function over form modder and and this setup is very functional and I like the look myself.

lights_front_4_EF_.jpg

Jeessse, Poor guy. He puts in a kit that cost him $ & time and you guys tell him its not so good.
I dont see where he was asking for opinoins or approval.
Please dont be "effete projector snobs".
I agree that projectors are the best use of HIDs, as do most mfg.s, but it isnt possible for all and after the fact is not the time for would-a/could-a/should-a comments.
JMHO

Jeessse, Poor guy. He puts in a kit that cost him $ & time and you guys tell him its not so good.
I agree that projectors are the best use of HIDs, as do most mfg.s, but it isnt possible for all and after the fact is not the time for would-a/could-a/should-a comments.
JMHO

Bill I agree that it came off a bit snobbish. I guess to make that long story short, make sure that ANY HID setup in 2nd gen stock or Diamond Cut headlights are properly focused or aimed. If they're not, you're blinding oncoming traffic and that's not only illegal, but a safety hazard and pretty irresponsible. The projectors are great option, but not for everyone (financially or esthetically). HIDs are cool, but with them comes the responsibility of making sure they're properly set up. If you're getting flashed even once, then you know it's time to tweak them. I hope the original poster heeds that advice is all. I did go three years without getting flashed very often, at least not after they were aimed correctly (lots of trial and error).

I agree that projectors are the best use of HIDs, as do most mfg.s, but it isn't possible for all and after the fact is not the time for would-a/could-a/should-a comments.
JMHO
Didn't mean for it to come off like that but it's impossible to get HID's in the stock Explorer housings aimed correctly without blinding people, tried on friends with DDM but it just sucks. It's bright but hot spots are focused weird, and light scatters everywhere, even with him behind me it was almost blinding the reflection in my mirrors let alone people coming towards him. It's really the lenses that suck on the Explorers. In the Mountaineer housing it's quite better, way less scatter.

Have another friend that did plug and play in his F-150 including Fog lights. Again bright, but headlights are aimed down and it's blinding to have his truck behind you or coming at you, there's no cut off.

If you can get the diamond clears it makes a big difference vs the hazy lens on Explorers. I'm getting my kit from retrosolutions, full package including projector that you don't have to bother cutting and measuring plus way cheaper. And their projector is very nice as well compared to "similar" ones.

hid lighting for my 2000 explorer xlt

i did not change any of the headlight adjustments after installation. i left the factory adjustments. used these lights almost all the time on my trip to florida and never experienced any problems with flashing headlights from oncoming traffic or any problems with the police. i did notice tons better lighting for night driving. especially when someone left his car in my freeway lane, no lights, or flashers. i felt i had much more advanced notice than before.

i did not change any of the headlight adjustments after installation. i left the factory adjustments. used these lights almost all the time on my trip to florida and never experienced any problems with flashing headlights from oncoming traffic or any problems with the police.

Wow, you lucked out. With the three different kits I had installed before I went with the projectors, I got flashed often and spent hours tweaking the focus.

Nice job.

phoenix u got pics of ur hids installed on ur 00 xlt

working on the pics, only a camera phone. i'll get some though

How'd it turn out, thinking about using DDM 5K Kit in a projector housing.

I have had good luck with DDM kit's, Right now I using one in my XJ with autopal housings and really like the output, cutoff ain't great but it's a toy and doesn't see much street time.

I figure projector housings would have better results.

my 2000 explorer xlt with hid lighting

i know it took a little while but i have the pics for my headlights. these are in comparison with the foglights that are temporarily silverstar ultras. i have no clue how to get them from 1200X1600 to a size that will fit. went completely without projectors and have had good results. lights are awesome

Bump from the dead, sorry... Ran into this thread from Google, lol.

How the heck did you attach the bi-xenon bulbs to your factory headlight housing?? My bi-xenon bulbs are to fat to fit the locking ring over it to lock the bulbs into place...

Back