My check engine light is not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My check engine light is not working.

9hide

Reaction score
City, State
LA California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Exploere 5.0
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 and it won't pass smog because the check engine light does not work. I have checked the bulb and its not the problem, I have also checked the contacts on the instrument panel where the bulb is with a meter and I do not get a reading when the ignition is tuned on. So My question is there a fuse for this bulb ? it the panel bad ? what else can I check or do ?

Thanks
Mike D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

although it is good to check in both "directions" with a meter.... going towards the PCM, looking for voltage coming from there ain't going to happen. The voltage comes from a fuse feed (towards the IP).... so if you aren't getting voltage, you need to go in that direction (ie. towards the fuse panel). Having said that, IF you weren't getting voltage then other instrument panel stuff wouldn't be working correctly...ssssoooooo, unless you have a "measurement issue", your problem is likely somewhere near the light / cluster board.

IIRC, the cig. lighter fuse being blown will make the CEL not work and also make it so you can't read the codes.

~Mark

my check engine light will not come on therefore will not pass air emission test on my 1997 ford ranger. any thoughts as to the problem

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest doing what the previous posters stated and trace the wiring back from the light

my check engine light will not come on therefore will not pass air emission test on my 1997 ford ranger. any thoughts as to the problem

Very first thing is to check the bulb; that is the most likely issue.

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 and it won't pass smog because the check engine light does not work. I have checked the bulb and its not the problem, I have also checked the contacts on the instrument panel where the bulb is with a meter and I do not get a reading when the ignition is tuned on. So My question is there a fuse for this bulb ? it the panel bad ? what else can I check or do ?

Thanks
Mike D

Remember, the check engine light only lights for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on. That is the only time you would get a voltage reading.

Back