5R55W Fluid Fill | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Fluid Fill

Transmission Fluid Fill Adapter
Our low price: $24.20

Have got to be kidding me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a picture of that refill tool which is made by OTC. The part # is OTC-6604:
OTC6604-L.jpg

The threads are 1/8" X 27 NPT (national pipe thread).
will this work for the 2004 lincoln aviator 2wd?

so this is mainly to check the level?

thanks

Go to your local hardware store & buy an 1/8" Pipe Nipple about $2, that is what I did.If you need to refill it I also bought a bucket pump from Harbor Freight that fits on a 5 gal bucket, that and some clear tubing, it worked great!

Gary

so from my understanding, the oil pan has the drain hole,,but also in that hole there is a pipe for the level? like in the pic...

1zmhxzn.jpg

and also thats why i need the Adapter to push the new oil backup thru the same hole? or thru here:

28060bs.jpg

thanks

Yes! The Drain bolt is long but hollow with a threaded cap in the middle of it. I do not know about the other location, I have done it through the pan.

Good Luck

Gary

ok,,thanks friend for the info!

ok,,today i hade something to do,,and after that i pass thru gifylube,,
just to ask,,to see if they can check my tranny fluid,,
""o no problem,,is free!,,pull it in,,ops no dipstick!''
he look into hes computer and said ,,sorry you need to go to the dealer with this...
ok,,back to step one,,
call dealer to see exactly what tranny i have-- 5R55S
go under the car to check if i have that special plug,,
and i cant say as i never worked on this car before,,here is a pic

so i have looked on this site Ford Transmissions
for any info,,but they do not have any ,,how to check this fluid level,,

so can anyone tell me by the look at the tranny pan screw if that middle part come out,,then the big screw is that the level and the drain screw??
thanks!!

yes, use a torx bit to take out center while holding bolt(hopefully it comes out without stripping) I had to replace mine.Fluid level needs to be checked while running, a little should drip out...not a constant stream, if nothing comes out, put in 1 pint at a time until fluid comes out as a drip...

You can search for a more detailed directions, but that is it in a nutshell

Gary

yes, use a torx bit to take out center while holding bolt(hopefully it comes out without stripping) I had to replace mine.Fluid level needs to be checked while running, a little should drip out...not a constant stream, if nothing comes out, put in 1 pint at a time until fluid comes out as a drip...

You can search for a more detailed directions, but that is it in a nutshell

Gary
ok,,so that mean the i have the level tube in the pan,,!

so,,if nothing come out ,
then use the technic to put oil in thru the same holl,,intill is starting to drip more ,,?

will do some more research,,
before i get to work,,

thanks ,,friend,,i appreciate the help!

ok,,this is a litlle guide that i have found,,
it my help some people!
this is for my tranny 2004 lincoln aviator with 5R55S tranny

here you go:
(lost photos)

enjoy,
now i have to go and check my tranny,,,

thanks

okk,,my results are that i cant figure this out,,

with car running i untie the midlle screw ,but oil start dripping a lot, so i tie it back,,i did this few times like 4 and still oil was coming out,,so i left it like that,,

i have no clue,,why the oil did not stop...

ATF fluid replacement

I get the method for putting the new ATF back into the tranny but am still wondering how you get the level right. When you drain the tranny from the drain plug does this remove all the fluid from the transfer case too? I was thinking that I could maybe measure the amount of fluid drained off and put back in the same amount. Is this viable or is there something I have missed or am not understanding about the method of draining/replacing the ATF. Any help much appreciated!!

That drain insert in the bottom of the pan is the proper method to set the level. You have to overfill it enough for it to drain something.

The fluid temperature is critical though, don't try to adjust the level with the trans cold or too hot. That is just like setting air pressure when the tire is hot, or not the normal cold temp. The ATF level will be slightly higher with the trans hot, and lower when it's cold.

Isn't the level supposed to be checked with the trans just barely warmed up, say 100 degrees? I think when the fluid is almost hot to touch, but not, check it then. Regards,

I maybe passed the point of no return but my AWD 5R55W tranny has about 100K miles and has no record of an oil change (Transfer case had oil chg in Jan 2010). I have noticed a slight gear slip now and then. Is it to late to change the oil and get rid of the problem or is it too late and I am in for tranny damage. I don’t want to change the oil if the damage is already there and need to pull it out for repair.

Not to bear the bad news, but I just had my 5R55S replaced at 93K. Started the slipping thing in forward and reverse (servo bore issue common to these). Cost me $3700.00 + a radiator and a tranny cooler. If any of you replace the tranny, note that the cooler should at the very least be flushed. I never would have thought of that. The thing shifts like a dream, and has a 3 year 100K Ford dealer warranty. Sucks, but what do you do when you still owe 10K on the thing?

BTW 2004 XLT Explorer Four-Wheel Drive.

I maybe passed the point of no return but my AWD 5R55W tranny has about 100K miles and has no record of an oil change (Transfer case had oil chg in Jan 2010). I have noticed a slight gear slip now and then. Is it to late to change the oil and get rid of the problem or is it too late and I am in for tranny damage. I don’t want to change the oil if the damage is already there and need to pull it out for repair.

I suggest that you research the valve body kits and parts available for that trans. Likely your trans needs those things done, upgrades which help any trans of any mileage. Do those and the fluid/filter change, that takes care of 95% or more of those issues.

I was looking into some measurements and came across a dumb question. When I find a level check none of the guys talk about the orientation of the vehicle. For the tranny I have found a service manual reference to a tool (looks like a level ??) that might be used for the tranny but what about the drip level of the other things such as the rear/front differential or the transfer case. Does anybody know of a point to check for level / tilt on the car for the level check for each of the other 4 units (front/Rear Diff, Transfer case and Tranny)? Is there a common point where you can level it for all fill checks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I am going to try to change my fluid this weekend. So is it better to drop the pan and replace the filter? Or just leave it alone?

Back