2004 Explorer check gauges light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer check gauges light on

Scotty Mo

Reaction score
City, State
Platte City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I have a 2004 Explorer. Went to the lake today and every thing was fine hit the water came back and check gauge light is on, fuel tank gauge shows empty, radio and power windows do not work. Help PLEASE!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check gauges light just means that a gauge is likely out of range, its a warning light. in this case, it sounds like the fuel is empty. (low oil pressure, or hot engine will bring the light on too)

as for you're other issue, check the fuse.

I had plenty of gas when I left and filled up to make sure. Gas was not the issue.

Where in KC?

Hey scotty! what lake?

Smithville. Good time until I started the vehicle. Any ideas?

I am having the same problem check fuse 17 inside your truck and see if it is blown if it is replace it but the problem i am having is as soon as i replace it the fuse immediately blows again

Have not YET experienced that issue. No other ideas but, I'd give Langdon's suggestion a try. Hey Langdon if it keeps blowing 17 then there is a dead short somewhere. I've got FSM ordered for '02 model the wiring will probably be different than the '04.

Smithville boating or fishing?

It does sound like a body ground Langdon. Check all of the grounds body to chassis and negative ground cable @ battery.

I replaced fuse 17 today and so far it's all good.

Boating. Took the family out for a cruise and a couple of swims. Good time!!!!

Thanks Landon!! I replaced fuse 17 today and so far it's all good.

I have a 2004 Explorer. Went to the lake today and every thing was fine hit the water came back and check gauge light is on, fuel tank gauge shows empty, radio and power windows do not work. Help PLEASE!

Back