City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Colorado Colors Run 2010 - Ouray

Update: Ouray, CO has been chosen for the 2010 CCR Location

Ok, lets get this going for the 11th year of the Colorado Colors Run. Dates: Friday Sept 3rd - Monday Sept 6th (Labor Day Weekend). Where do you guys want to go?

1. Ouray
2. Aspen
3. Salida
4. Leadville
5. Breckenridge/Silverthorne
6. Colorado Springs
Please vote only if you plan to make it

Past trip pictures:
CCR99 Salida
CCR00 Ouray
CCR01 Breckenridge/Silverthorne
CCR02 Leadville
CCR03 Ouray
CCR04 Salida
CCR05 in July - Leadville
CCR06 Salida
CCR07 Ouray
CCR08 Ouray
CCR09 Ouray

Trip Details

Trail Descriptions:

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

Trail Itinerary:

TBD

Meeting Location:

The Ice Park aka Rotary Park on the North end of Ouray, East side of road.

Meeting time ? Typically early especially if running Black Bear

Lodging:

Ouray KOA
US Hwy 550 - CR23, PO Box J
Ouray, CO 81427
Information: (970) 325-4736
Fax: (970)325-0410
Email: koaouray1@mindspring.com
Reserve Online Now Or By Phone: (800) 562-8026
http://www.koa.com/where/CO/06158/

Ridgway-Ouray Lodge & Suites
For information and reservations, please call: 800-368-5444
373 Palomino Trail
P.O. Box 608
Ridgway, CO 81432
http://www.ridgwaylodgeandsuites.com/index.html

Required/Suggested Equipment
http://www.explorer4x4.com/trail_equip.html

Signed up

Brian1 - not confirmed yet but most likely to make it!
Unclemike
offroader_69_me - maybe
Happy Jack - maybe
mrboyle - maybe
Jeffbethandkidz - maybe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure if I will make it this year, so I will post instead of vote.

Leadville and Salida

But, Ouray is always nice.

hey brian, my name is nathan im new to the forum, ill start saving some money, maybe me n my girlfriend could make it up thet way, how much is lodging if we didnt wanna "rough it", i dont mind, but she doesnt mind having a hot shower at the end of the day...

Nathan, it just depends on where we go. Some places are tourist traps and would have higher rates. I would say anywhere from $60-140 a night. Some places that have campgrounds rent out small cabins that have community showers for $60ish.

i dont mind a skeezy motel once in a while...:D ha ha ha.. i know that scenery up there is beautiful, i have access to some families land in/around meeker... is there many trails thet a stocker can get through? 5.0 AWD, tt and (war153 shackles soon)

I have not voted yet because I am torn between Aspen and Leadville. I love the Leadville area because it has the highest driveable pass in North America as well as an old military camp with 2 fun trails that make a loop to that camp. We have never done Aspen and it looks like it has amazing scenery (Crystal Mill) but I am hesitant because the trails are mostly rated difficult and Im not sure a close to stock Explorer would be able to do them, I think my Explorer would do OK. Hard to say since I dont know of anyone who has taken an Explorer through those trails.

i dont mind a skeezy motel once in a while...:D ha ha ha.. i know that scenery up there is beautiful, i have access to some families land in/around meeker... is there many trails thet a stocker can get through? 5.0 AWD, tt and (war153 shackles soon)

Again it just depends on where we go. I would say for the most part a stock explorer would do OK.

count me in.. i was looking at the pictures it looks awesome and i know i can get by on some pretty steep stuff out here...rockfront ranch OHV 25mi,Oceano Dunes(pismo beach) 15-20mi, Pozo OHV 45mi.... with a little bit of skilled driving these trucks are stout (enough) i liked the looks of leadville but all of it looks awesome though!!!

Stock Explorer should do fine, but if you have an AWD V8 2nd Gen, you need to do a 4406 swap so you can have Low range, I think the steep grades and gravel climbs would take a toll on awd v8 tranny without Low Range, Just my opinion...

Leadville...closer to home. I could go home each night.

YEAH B2 GUY?? i havnt started modding tooo much im new to the forum and cant really do too much seeing it a dd , that would switch me to a manual right?

Leadville...closer to home. I could go home each night.

soo lucky...!!! me and my girlfriend are lookin at about 16 hours each way... :D its all good though west coast is the best coast!!

StateFarmGuy - I am 17-18Hr drive also to Ouray
I have all stock 2nd gen V8, only thing im doing to get it ready for a trip to Colorado is a 4406 swap.

I voted as I am looking to make it as long as it isn't too far. Springs or maybe Aspen.

Tim

Ive been kinda up in the air on this, I have been once to Ouray and could easliy go there again, but a couple other spots would be nice to see and are a little closer. Kinda leaning towards Colorado Springs or leadville.

I have only gone once (last year in Ouray) so I have no idea what the other areas are like as far as accommodations/trails are concerned. So I can't vote on what I don't know.

I do believe no matter where we stay we will be happy. The San Juan Mtn range is vast and breathtaking. I would like to keep my night stays under $75. I would rather stay in a cabin/lodge/hotel this year because hauling so much gear in the rig was just too much for me last year.

Gman if we end up same area, Id be game on splitting some lodging I agree on Cabin or Motel under $75, I want to travel light.

I have been to all the locations except CSprings and Aspen and I can make lodging recommendations and set up the logistics pretty easily for the places I have been to before. Ouray, Salida and Leadville all have camping sites like a KOA and relatively cheap hotels.

Gman if we end up same area, Id be game on splitting some lodging I agree on Cabin or Motel under $75, I want to travel light.
Sounds good to me. I can use all the help I can get with funding this trip.

I have been to all the locations except CSprings and Aspen and I can make lodging recommendations and set up the logistics pretty easily for the places I have been to before. Ouray, Salida and Leadville all have camping sites like a KOA and relatively cheap hotels.

Brian, I am sure you will get us hooked up where ever we go. You have done a great job of this meet every year now and everyone goes home stoked about the trip. :thumbsup:

I think I remember last years trip some wanted Salida or Leadville?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe there is alot more accomadations around the Springs, from Dives to 5 star. For trails check out www.traildamage.com they list just about every trail in CO. along with pictures and ratings.

Tim

Back