Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included)

You do not have to worry about CV issues but keep in mind the more height you get the stiffer the ride will be in the front. Also the factory tbar bolts may not allow you to crank that high so you may need to buy longer bolts and for that info just search on this site for "tbar bolts" there are some threads on the right bolt to use.

OMG thank you glen! I have yet to look at the T bolts but do you know if there is a way to see the end of the bolts? and is there like a limit as to how much an alignment will fix? lol just curious. gotta make sure of this stuff before hand you know? lol thanks in advance

-Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look under your truck where the tbars are and if you look above you can see the head of the bolt under the torsion bar key, but you won't really know how much height you're going to get without turning the bolts and maxing them out. I remember seeing a thread before that someone claimed they had 4inches of lift doing a TT but never seen pics of proof. Not sure on how much you can lift it that way without alignment issues.

Thanks glen. i have about an inch left on this bolt so i might buy new ones in the near future. and ill be doing a body lift too :) too bad its not 4x4. would like to go mudding but oh well. lol

Then maybe trade it for a 4x4 ex, plus private sales on them aren't that pricey if you would buy one straight out. You can also lock the rear to help with your traction.

Ive got car notes for the next 16 months so after that i just might do that. honestly i do love the look of the sports more.

hey everyone...i have a 99 AWD mountaineer and i want to go down about 2" will this work for me? and how do i know when it is to far...also...how will the handling and ride change?

hey everyone...i have a 99 AWD mountaineer and i want to go down about 2" will this work for me? and how do i know when it is to far...also...how will the handling and ride change?

Yes you can do this, as far as ride quality goes...I have no idea because I don't mess with lowered trucks but I would think it may soften the ride. And just measure the height of the lip of your fender and then turn the bolt and frequently check to make sure you don't go more than 2" because then you will be risking CV issues even lowered because you're changing the geometry of the suspension.

Yes you can do this, as far as ride quality goes...I have no idea because I don't mess with lowered trucks but I would think it may soften the ride. And just measure the height of the lip of your fender and then turn the bolt and frequently check to make sure you don't go more than 2" because then you will be risking CV issues even lowered because you're changing the geometry of the suspension.

so if its under 2" im safe on the cv joints....how will i know if im risking them?
and what if i want to go lower than that? (i know its weird to lower an AWD..i just like a more sporty look..haha) also..where can you pick up the rear drop blocks?
thanks for the help and answering my questions!

Just stay within the 2" range or else you will eventually notice the cv's going bad. If you want to go lower, I think most after market lowering kits are made for the 2wd explorer but just look around on google for explorer drop kit you may see one for 4wd/awd explorers and if you're worried bout the CV's because of being awd all the time then consider either putting a 2wd transmission in your truck or consider swapping in a 4406 either the manual or electronic shift version so that your CV's aren't constantly rotating traction wise. Either way they will rotate but in 2wd they won't have torque going through them wearing them out faster.

so there is no way to tell right away if there is to much stress on the cv's other than time?
i think im going to try the drop..since its cheap and easy to change back
but what is the 4406 shift version...honestly ive never heard of it

and again..thanks for all the help

Do a search on here for 4406 swap. Its a selectable transfer case so that you can have your truck in 2wd mode. There is a manual version where a shifter will stick out of the floor or the electronic shift version where you operate it by a switch on the dash.

ill check it out....thanks

i just picked up my blocks...im gonna do a 2/1 drop...just to get started to see how it goes

I bought my expo used is there any way to tell if the TT has already been done by a previous owner?

Thanks, and Happy Canada Day to all The Canucks out there

I bought my expo used is there any way to tell if the TT has already been done by a previous owner?

Thanks, and Happy Canada Day to all The Canucks out there

Did your truck come with over size tires like 31's? If not then more than likely it hasn't, a way to tell would be to look at the angle of your torsion bars, if they're almost level or level with the lower control arms and the lower control arms are almost level with the cross member by looking at the front, then it is probably at stock.

did a 2/2 drop...love it! thanks guys

I have a 2dr 99 sport......how many rotations will I need to get about 2.25 inch lift?....just to save me some time thanks

Welcome To The Forum! It's really hard to say because each truck is different so your bars could be worn more meaning it needs more cranks or not have so much wear and only take a couple rotations, some of us have to max out our bolts to get to height.

I have a 2dr 99 sport......how many rotations will I need to get about 2.25 inch lift?....just to save me some time thanks

if i remember right i did atleast 3 or 4 full revolutions, but its been like 8 months since i did it, hope this helps. If you wanna check out my explorer check out all my videos, heres a link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpQjYCCzcnI make sure to check out all the videos and comment!;) :exporange

i was wondering if anyone knew anything about drop shock for the 99 mountaineer....i did this drop..love it

but i have alot of body roll in the front and the rear seems stiff...makes for a weird drive at times...haha

also...has anyone ever remove the frame stops above the rear axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im looking at lifting the front i found a TT lift on summit racing here is the link http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RLS-66-2020/Application/?prefilter=1. Here are the instructions http://http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/rls-66-2020_instructions.pdf I've been reading on here about just turning the TT bolts to get lift but too much will put excessive wear on the CV axle. Do ya'll think this will lift it with out putting strain on the CV axle. Check out and let me know what you think. Oh and im putting 2.5in shackles on the rear.

Back