Traction control | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Traction control

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hold the the TC button for 5 seconds until the light starts flashing and then stays lit.

hey man if you hold down the traction controll button it starts flashing in the gauge cluster and that means all tractioncontrol is off now try that

I hate to bring up an old threat, but I just took my wife's 2007 Mountaineer in with this same issue. They drive it for 9 miles and could not reproduce the problem, could not locate any codes, and found no cracked tone rings. We have about 10,000 miles left on the extended warranty, and my wife is afraid to drive it now.

It appears this is a common problem problem for the traction control system on AWD Ford vehicles, but they cannot diagnose the problem.

I hate to bring up an old threat, but I just took my wife's 2007 Mountaineer in with this same issue. They drive it for 9 miles and could not reproduce the problem, could not locate any codes, and found no cracked tone rings. We have about 10,000 miles left on the extended warranty, and my wife is afraid to drive it now.

It appears this is a common problem problem for the traction control system on AWD Ford vehicles, but they cannot diagnose the problem.

what is a common problem?

traction control cant be turned off.

The problem is while accelerating, power is lost to the transmission, the vehicle begins to slow down, while the rpms remain high, and the traction control light begins to flash. Suddenly power will be restored to the transmission and the vehicle will take off again, then lose power again as described. It happened three times in a row, before my wife could get it off the roadway.

Others have experienced this in several different AWD vehicles and one of the common issues is a cracked tone ring. Unfortunately this is not the case in my vehicle. Apparently when you turn the vehicle off and back on again it corrects itself, but my point is, if there are a variety of complaints regarding this, it should be tracked down, and not at the consumers expense.

Just to clear up a few things about the traction control button and its functions. Looking at the owners manual when you press the traction control button momentarily the "RSC, ESC and Engine Traction Control" are disabled below 25mph (40km/h) and are automatically reactivated above that speed, but the "Brake Traction Control" is still enabled.

If you press and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds the "sliding car" icon will flash then will illuminate solid. When this happens the "RSC, ESC, Engine Traction Control and Brake Traction Control" are disabled below 25mph (40km/h) and are automatically enabled above said speed.

So in the case of the OP whether pressing the button momentarily or holding it for 5 seconds wouldn't help since the Traction Control would of re-enabled itself at highway speeds.

The problem is while accelerating, power is lost to the transmission, the vehicle begins to slow down, while the rpms remain high, and the traction control light begins to flash. Suddenly power will be restored to the transmission and the vehicle will take off again, then lose power again as described. It happened three times in a row, before my wife could get it off the roadway.

Others have experienced this in several different AWD vehicles and one of the common issues is a cracked tone ring. Unfortunately this is not the case in my vehicle. Apparently when you turn the vehicle off and back on again it corrects itself, but my point is, if there are a variety of complaints regarding this, it should be tracked down, and not at the consumers expense.

you have a problem, get it fixed.

something is causing traction control to activate.

the cause to this problem is the ABS ring and sensors on the wheel base at each wheel, they be got some rust or dirt. the simplest thing to do is turn of the explorer the turn on it back again and ABS system will return to normal.

and let some one check the ABS system for you

I believe this is what is happening to my 2010 EX 4x4. I can reproduce this problem everytime I turn a corner that has an unusual incline to it. My speed is usually 5 mph and about 1000 rpms or so. I took a service manager for a test drive and he experienced it also. His thought was that one of the rear wheels was leaving the ground just long enough for the traction control to kick in. The truck would shudder and the TC light would momentarily flash. We drove another 2010 that they had on the lot and it did the same thing. He said this is normal. I don't believe that as I have also experienced this on a dry flat surface at speeds around 10-20 mph.

So from reading the previous posts I should have the dealer check the following:

-a cracked tone ring
-ABS rings and sensors
-exciter rings (are those different than tone rings?)

Thanks

07 Explorer -- Unsafe

My 07 Explorer is doing the same thing - just driving downt he road on dry surface the traction control will engage. You hear a grinding noise and the light flashes on the dash. I am still under warranty and have about 2k left until it runs out however I took it into my Ford Dealership and they said they "could not reproduce" so there is nothing they can do. I've done some searching and found that it could be an issue with the "exciter" rings giving false sensor reading causing the traction control to engage. Anybody else know what could be casuing this?

My 2007 Explorer does this exactly! I has for years and there might be months before it happens again. I just had it in a Ford dealer with excellent reputation and once again (3rd dealer now) nothing happened so they couldn't find anything (surprise, surprise!!) While they had it, I went through 4 or 5 levels of people who refused to do anything to help and ultimately talked to a regional manager (sic) who said that FORD was going to do NOTHING for me.
This thing in UNSAFE!

I saw the posted quoted above and am checking to see if there is any more information on this issue?

Hello! I know how to make Exp from 4x4 to 4X2 =) Just unplug wire ABS under hood. You will be able to do burnout =)

48cefb410bb5ffb2-large.jpg

unplug ABS wire where?

Hello! I know how to make Exp from 4x4 to 4X2 =) Just unplug wire ABS under hood. You will be able to do burnout =)

48cefb410bb5ffb2-large.jpg

I need to do be able to do this now to get my 08 X sport trac 150 miles to get an ABS/TC solved

where is the wire located anyway ?

He means pull the ABS fuse under the hood and you could also pull the 4x4 fuse to make sure that it doesn't try to go into 4x4 mode. For our years I believe that pulling the two 4x4 fuses will disable both since I don't see any of them specifically labeled ABS.

I pulled the ABS Pump fuse and it has temporarily solved the problem in that it can be driven

the ABS the TC and the Wrench are lite of course but at least it will roll without the brakes being activated either in a TC mode or pulsing in ABS mode

now to find the problem, I have a new code reader coming that will do ABS codes so lets hope it has set a code and I don't have to go through what it appears many have, that being even the dealer seems to be stumped on some occasions

I pulled the ABS Pump fuse and it has temporarily solved the problem in that it can be driven

Just out of curiosity, what number fuse in the PDB is the ABS pump fuse?

Is it Fuse #6 - 40A ?

Ok, so you pulled fuse #6 in the PDB which is the Integrated Vehicle Dynamics (IVD) and is a function of the ABS system and traction control. Basically you killed the power to the Advance Trac system. Makes perfect sense to me now.

which fuse to pull

I checked and yes it is #6 that disables the ABS pump

I did not pull #33 which is listed as ABS pump valves in the owners manual, it seemed to me if the pump itself was disabled then there would be no need to go deeper into the device

QUOTE=Flag Gibby;3312880]Just out of curiosity, what number fuse in the PDB is the ABS pump fuse?

Is it Fuse [URL=http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=6]#6 [/URL] - 40A ?[/QUOTE]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? I have the same going on with ABS/TC lights coming on. I have other posts in different areas about my complete issue. You search my name you will see them here.

Back