2003 XLT clicking in dash, no heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT clicking in dash, no heat

grabill68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
From other posts on here it seems to be the actuator, I have removed radio trim and console. I located the actuator but I can't figure out how to get in there and remove screws. Is real tight in there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help

I think the bolts are 7mm
Use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet to get the very top bolt, you have to remove
the trim under the steering wheel, then shine a flash light to see the bolt,
use about a 10" extension
The use the same ratchet to get the very bottom one, you will need an angle
after the socket, or you can use a wrench to get that one. To get the other
top one, remove the radio bezel, unplug your 4x4 harness, and you heater
controls. You have to use the wrench to get this one.

Putting the actuator in is interesting, feed it through the opening by the
radio and crawl under the dash to line up in the hole. Make certain that
you have the temp control all the way to cold before removing that way you
know what position the blend door is in. Then before you install new
actuator, plug it in and go to hot, then back to cold to make sure the new
actuator is in the cold position. This actuator moves very slow, don't let
that scare you. in fact my old one worked fine out of the car because there
was no pressure on the broken gear.

Put the top bolt in first with the long socket. I have to put some glue off
of my kids glue stick to hold the bolt in the socket so it doesn't fall off.
Then put the lower bolt in, I used my wrench for that one, and the one in
the radio spot I didn't even try to put back in, works fine with two in.

Good luck, keep going you'll get it, took my 2 1/2 hours and I am no
mechanic!

Let me know if you have any questions or need pictures. I will check my
email all day.

Michael

See this post:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198271&highlight=sleb&page=2

Sounds like the problem

Thanks
mustang mike
it sure soundss like the problem the actuator
for the no heat problem.
I heard this clinking but could not quite pin point it but i did notice this little white box i guess this is a small gearbox and the gears inside must be strippred
i will attempt to replace thanks

Thanks
mustang mike
it sure soundss like the problem the actuator
for the no heat problem.
I heard this clinking but could not quite pin point it but i did notice this little white box i guess this is a small gearbox and the gears inside must be strippred
i will attempt to replace thanks

Welcome to the forum!!:salute:

Here is the thread you are looking for!!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

Hope this helps out!! :biggthump

03 heater blend door actuator

Working on an 03 Explorer, have replaced the blend door with the "heatertreater" solution. Did not fix the heater problem, moved forward with replacing the actuator. However, when plugged in to the harness, there is no movement of the actuator. Fuses are good, no other problems appear to exist. Help, please.

Working on an 03 Explorer, have replaced the blend door with the "heatertreater" solution. Did not fix the heater problem, moved forward with replacing the actuator. However, when plugged in to the harness, there is no movement of the actuator. Fuses are good, no other problems appear to exist. Help, please.

Did you follow the test procedure for checking out the new actuator as outlined in this thread?

Welcome to the forum!!:salute:

Here is the thread you are looking for!!

Hope this helps out!! :biggthump

Just wanted to mention your tutorial was a great deal of help to me Rondo. First took it to my local dealer and they quoted me 9.5 hrs labour @ 165.00 per hour + diagnostics and parts. Fast forward to late 2013 the part cost me 122.00. Your tutorial saved me any further costs on top of that. Not a mechanic at all but I do have a healthy respect for my tools. Took me 3 1/2 hrs with trips back and forth to my laptop, but i'm back up and running again thanks to your efforts here. The 7 months of winter will be a little warmer for me and my family now and I have you to thank for that.:salute:

Thank you from a greatful Canadian for this site and your help Rhondo.......Brian

Just wanted to mention your tutorial was a great deal of help to me Rondo. First took it to my local dealer and they quoted me 9.5 hrs labour @ 165.00 per hour + diagnostics and parts. Fast forward to late 2013 the part cost me 122.00. Your tutorial saved me any further costs on top of that. Not a mechanic at all but I do have a healthy respect for my tools. Took me 3 1/2 hrs with trips back and forth to my laptop, but i'm back up and running again thanks to your efforts here. The 7 months of winter will be a little warmer for me and my family now and I have you to thank for that.:salute:

Thank you from a greatful Canadian for this site and your help Rhondo.......Brian

Glad I could help out!! :D:thumbsup:

I just bought a 03 ford explorer it has a clicking sound like the turn signal is - but it's not- then I noticed the drivers side carpet is really wet, I later turned the heat on and I don't have any heat at all. I have only had this for a week. Are these the symptom of the actuator...is that the same thing as the heater core?

Back