• Register Today It's free!

No Horn or Cruise Control

llabourdeth

Reaction score
City, State
Houghton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with the cruise control and horn on my '98 explorer. Neither work, but the airbag light doesn't indicate any problems, so it's not likely that the problem is the clock spring. Additionally, when I use the remote to lock the car, the horn chirps. I already checked all the fuses, and they all checked out ok. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like it might just be the wiring harness probably got damaged. the horn and cruise control work thru that same harness it might have to be replaced or fix if possible. i had a similar problem with my 97 explorer which at one point nether the horn or cruise control worked. i was lucky enough to come across a complete harness with the buttons in mint condition as the old ones were in really bad shape .i carefully installed it in my truck wen i tested it everything worked again.. hope this helps

Check the fuse under the hood. When it blows, you lose the horn and the cruise.

sounds like it might just be the wiring harness probably got damaged. the horn and cruise control work thru that same harness it might have to be replaced or fix if possible. i had a similar problem with my 97 explorer which at one point nether the horn or cruise control worked. i was lucky enough to come across a complete harness with the buttons in mint condition as the old ones were in really bad shape .i carefully installed it in my truck wen i tested it everything worked again.. hope this helps

Do you have a part number for that harness? And I already checked the fuse.

dont know what the part# is but i have a pic of what it looks like (old one from my x)

p419069625055.jpg

I figured out what the problem was. It did have to do with the harness, but the harness itself wasn't bad. It was the left side cruise control button. It had somehow been disconnected from the harness at some point and wasn't properly plugged back in. After putting everything together properly, everything started working. Thanks for the help.

I have a question regarding this (sorta). My cruise and horn both work, BUT should the cruise buttons on the LEFT side of the steering wheel illuminate when the headlights are on? The right side buttons do but my left don't.

They should. Well, when new they do, those lights don't last very long. I you have any still lit, consider yourself lucky! :D

Back