All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

Tricky keyless entry problem

Hello all!

I find myself in a bit of a pinch here. I'm living in Finland and recently bought an '98 Explorer. The car had two of Bosch 1-button entry fobs when I bought it, but some time ago another one stopped working. I changed the batteries but it didn't help, then shortly after that the other fob started acting up. It still works most of the time, but every once in a while it won't do anything. I ordered two new 3-button fobs from Ebay before I learned that they aren't compatible with Bosch system. I've tried looking around on the forum but haven't spotted an answer, so is it even possible for me to program the 1-button fobs again myself. The procedure for US-spec systems doesn't work for the Bosch system. This car was never sold in Finland so Ford dealership said they can't help me. Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hopefully someone reads this... i have a 99 explorer with an alarm problem (alarm goes off when battery cables are hooked up, wont even attempt to start and im looking for the reset/ valet switch, i unplugged the wiring harnesses from the module and it stop the horn from beeping, but theres a grinding noise in the engine bay and the power locks are cycling(but the locks are staying locked) ive been searching these boards relntlessly but it seems that anyone whos had a similar problem does not get an answer... there has to be someone on these forums who can fix this problem, the guy at the local ford dealer said they could fis it but it would probably cost close to 1000$

Thanks for the information and the pictures this worked great and easier to solve the problem.

After Market Alarm & Keypad

I have a Viper aftermarket alarm on my 97 xlt. Has anyone heard of a way to hook up the keypad to turn on/off the alarm? i thought i read somewhere that some one did but now i am unable to find it. any help would be appreciated.

Everything stopped working on my explorer. It was working a day earlier. Took it in to my mechanic yesterday to check out a sound coming from the dash (which he didn't hear until I took him on a ride along), but he fixed the brakes instead. Went home and installed a new intake and realized the keyless entry system stopped working. During the installation I unhooked the neg. battery cable and hooked it back when I was finished. Keypad and remotes are both useless. Dome light doesn't even turn on when I touch the keypad. Interior lock/unlock buttons work. What might've happened? Checked all the fuses and they're all in good shape. I have a 97 5.0L EB AWD. Never encountered this problem until yesterday. Seems like the RAP module is either dead or turned off. Is there a way to turn on the module or activate it?

try removing the rap module and cleaning the contacts and reseating the connector - then go through the programming procedure again. If still nothing replace rap module -

It's fixed now. I unplugged all connectors, waited 5 minutes, and re-connected all of them. Worked right away. Thanks!

Keyless Keypad Code

Dear Friend,

Your article saved me $ and I became knowledgeable . I just got my first 2001 Explorer Sport. I did not have a spare key or the Keypad code. It cost me $100 to get the key and dear was going to charhe ~$40 to provide the code. I have not reset it yet but I am sure your tech tip will do the trick. I will contact you if I do not find it. Thanks again!

Sport01

I'm definitely interested too and I'm glad the dealership hassle is clear till now. They never miss the golden chance to extract money from us that why I always try to buy my parts used especially engines & used transmissions

Hello all!

I find myself in a bit of a pinch here. I'm living in Finland and recently bought an '98 Explorer. The car had two of Bosch 1-button entry fobs when I bought it, but some time ago another one stopped working. I changed the batteries but it didn't help, then shortly after that the other fob started acting up. It still works most of the time, but every once in a while it won't do anything. I ordered two new 3-button fobs from Ebay before I learned that they aren't compatible with Bosch system. I've tried looking around on the forum but haven't spotted an answer, so is it even possible for me to program the 1-button fobs again myself. The procedure for US-spec systems doesn't work for the Bosch system. This car was never sold in Finland so Ford dealership said they can't help me. Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance!
Hi, I`m trying to find a way of programming the same remote. I`m in the UK and the Bosch was the european version using a single button remote too. Here the Ford dealerships want about £170 to program them and want the vehicle in overnight usually. The Probe (UK registered) uses the exact same remote and I have the instructions for programming for that vehicle but so far nothing for the Explorer. I`m not giving up so I`ll contact you when I find the solution. Regards , Pete

on my 00 explorer the dome lights turn off when i close the door and the car is off, how i can fix that because when i bougth this car the dome lights turn off when i push the button on the remote, please help me :(

Factory Keyless Entry

Hi, my explorer doesn't have the factory keyless entry, can i buy one from a junk and install it on my explorer???
please i need help i really want a factory keyless entry!!:(

i have the 2 boxes on my 00 but doesn't work
how can i make it work again?:(

This is a great thread. I just picked up a 98 for my son and didn't know the factory code, but found it on the RAP module as instructed here. That saved me a lot of aggravation. Especially since the dealer wanted $100 to tell me what it was.:thumbdwn: Lot of good stuff here.

Thank you

Thank you for saving me $$$! I love this site.

I have a 98 explorer sport it has power locks but im not sure if it has a rap?

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions.

When your vehicle was newly purchased from the dealer it came with a card in the owner’s manual packet that had the keypad code on it. The packet is often lost and/or discarded over time and as the vehicle trades owners the code to the Keyless Entry is lost. Ford Dealers wants some big money to get the code for you by plugging in their computer to retrieve the code or using the following method. Luckily there is a much easier and cheaper way for you to get the code and you do not need any tools or automotive knowledge. I’ll show you how and where to find the code and how to reset the Keyless Entry back to the factory code or your personal code number.

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions. The factory code is also printed on a label which is installed on the Remote Anti-theft Personality (RAP) Module. This is the module that controls the keyless entry system. It is located in the left rear quarter behind the removable panel (see photo). You will need to turn the two thumb screws counter clockwise and take the plastic panel off to be able to see the unit. A flashlight may be helpful in seeing the code. You are looking for the module and the 5 digit code on it like the one shown below.
View attachment 42920
View attachment 42921
Now that you’ve got the code I’ll tell you how to use the Keyless entry and set-up your own code.Make sure when pressing the controls on the keyless entry keypad you press the middle of the buttons to ensure good contact with the controls.
Programming your own personal entry code
1. Enter the factory-set code (keypad will illuminate when first digit is pressed).
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step 1.
3. Enter your personal 5-digit code. Enter each digit within five seconds of the previous one.
Your personal code does not replace the factory-set code. You can use either code to unlock your vehicle. Each time you set a new personal code the module will erase the previous one in favor of the new code. The factory-set code can not be erased.
Erasing your own personal code or a prior owners code and leaving only the factory-set code
1. Enter the factory-set code.
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step one 1.
3. Press the 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time within five seconds of step two.
The system will now only respond to the factory-set code.
Unlocking the doors with the Keyless Entry System
1. Enter either the factory-set code or the personal code (Each digit must be pressed within five seconds of the prior digit). The interior lights will illuminate as soon as the first valid digit is pressed.
2. To unlock all the doors, enter the factory set code or a personal code and press the 3/4 control within five seconds of the drivers door unlocking.
Locking the doors wit the Keyless Entry System
1. Press 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time. The 5-digit code does not have to be entered to lock the doors.
Deactivating/Activating Auto-lock
1. Enter the five 5-digit code.
2. Press and hold 7/8 control.
3. Press and release 3/4 control while holding 7/8 control.
4. Release 7/8 control.
The horn will chirp once if auto-lock was deactivated or twice if auto-lock was activated.
To program the hand held remotes:
Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

I have a 98 ford explorer sport and it has power locks just not sure if it has a rap module And where is it locaded because ive looked everywhere and cant seem to find it also if it dont have one can i install one?

96 with keypad entry without a rad??

is it possible for a 96 explorer to have a keypad entry with power locks,windows to not have a rad?..have looked everywhere in the back that was suggested no luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sure but not IF you were the original owner. The module is "unpluggable" so anyone could remove it. BUT as you have likely found out, without it, your keypad don't work. Keep looking in the quarter panel area... either for the plug or the complete unit.

Back