My door doesn't close. The latch is stuck in the closed position. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My door doesn't close. The latch is stuck in the closed position.

jmac0017

Reaction score
hey guys need your help.
i have a 2004 explorer 4x4
passenger door will not close
the pin the door is locked in the up postion not allowing the door to close.
happen once before was able to push it back into place with a screw driver.
(beginning of winter)

washed the vehicle yesterday when we finally had reached +1 C.
today blizzard like conditions.
screwdriver not working today.
Anyone know any tricks to get the pin back into the correct postion.

your help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just checking the obvious here. When you are trying to reset the latch in the door open position you are lifting the door handle in order to allow the latch to open right?

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 2002-2005 section. Unlock the door, and either lift the handle as previously suggested or pull on the inside handle while manually moving the latch to the open position.

If it is frozen, you might be able to thaw it out with a hair dryer or a heat gun. :fire:

This happened to my hatch when I had my explorer. It was frozen in the open position and wouldnt close. I took the steam cleaner to it and a few minutes later the came free. If something is causing it to stick the steamer might free up something too.

Same happened to me, I just had to cycle the manual lock a few times and the handle and it worked.

Unlock the door, and either lift the handle as previously suggested or pull on the inside handle while manually moving the latch to the open position.

This is exactly what I have done before, get a screw drive on the latch portion put a little pressure and pull the handle should open right up and be able to close properly.

Mine is really bad to do this in the cold. I try to keep de-icer for this. Works great for me.
STU

Back