What remote starter should I get? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What remote starter should I get?

CMK0808,
Do you know how much draw should be on my battery whaen the vehicle is off? Alarm dealer says there's a draw and that"s why the Prestige alarm/remote start keeps draining my battery.

Thanks,
STL14

.08 amp or less

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that 0.08 a specific rate for 4th gen explorers? I've been trying to find out for 4 years. Mine draws 0.17 amps and is completely stock electrically and nothing in the powerports. Always seemed high compared to my pontiac which draws 0.02.

Is that 0.08 a specific rate for 4th gen explorers? I've been trying to find out for 4 years. Mine draws 0.17 amps and is completely stock electrically and nothing in the powerports. Always seemed high compared to my pontiac which draws 0.02.

your .12 is high. something is on.

it has to be sub .08 amp.

your battery should be dieing ever week or so if its a 650 little longer if its a 850.

I'm being told that my 06 Explorer is drawing over .15 amps when off. They've traced it down to the #2 fuse (a 5 amp) that controls the smart junction box, when this fuse is removed i returns to around .08. Any suggestions or info on this fuse or the smart junction box?

there may be a short somewhere. could be internally and need to be replaced.

What a mess, all I wanted was an alarm and I get this. I'm having the alarm shop remove the alarm so I can take the triuck to the dealer to diagnose my problem.

you need the 7l2z 19g364 aa kit. it is a one button remote start works along woth the factory keyless remote. also comes with the bypass for the chip key. kit is mostly plug and play. need to tap a few wires- pk lites, brake, and dome light. horn optional and ground it. thats it.

Will this kit work on an '06 x? I see for the '07's and up.

Are you planning on doing the installation yourself?

Will this kit work on an '06 x? I see for the '07's and up.

I see the same thing. The recommended it appears to be for 2007-2010 and not applicable to 2006.

Can anyone confirm? I'd rather tap the smaller wires (lights, horn, etc) than the larger (ignition) wires.

yes it will. follow 07 diagram- same car

that pdf is for an edge/ mix. everything you need is in the kit. for parking lights use the blue/white in the driver kick panel with the brake wire and door lock. Make sure you put fuse in the positive spot in the module instead of the manuals negative. The pos will work during the day when switch is in auto. ned will not light up park lites during daytime.

also- the part came out in 2007 hence the 7 in the beginning of the part number.

that pdf is for an edge/ mix. everything you need is in the kit. for parking lights use the blue/white in the driver kick panel with the brake wire and door lock. Make sure you put fuse in the positive spot in the module instead of the manuals negative. The pos will work during the day when switch is in auto. ned will not light up park lites during daytime.

But what will happen when the lights are in auto at night?

the headlights like normal will be on. during the day will be the park lites only. or you can leave switch in off position for the park lives only at night.

do you have the kit already? if not maybe look aftermarket at a DEI Avital 4113. I install them all the time and they have better range.

also- the part came out in 2007 hence the 7 in the beginning of the part number.

That makes sense.

I might pull the trigger and buy one of these since they do seem fairly simple to install. Once finished, I'll have to throw you a tip for your virtual assistance!

By the way, the PDF I posted you said was an "Edge/mix", does that mean I can use it for a visual guide for my 2006?

you need the manual for a ford explorer. that wiring diagram is for a ford edge. its the wrong one.

the headlights like normal will be on. during the day will be the park lites only. or you can leave switch in off position for the park lives only at night.

do you have the kit already? if not maybe look aftermarket at a DEI Avital 4113. I install them all the time and they have better range.

I don't have the kit yet.

I actually installed a DEI ("Valet") kit on an older car of mine but it was such a hassle soldering the ignition wires over head. That's why I want a plug and play kit for the Explorer and also a more professional fit. Plus I don't know about the chips in the keys and figure the OE plug and play one we are talking about will be easier overall.

you need the manual for a ford explorer. that wiring diagram is for a ford edge. its the wrong one.

Saw one on www.the12volt.com for the 2006, so I can use those wire colors (hopefully).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the factory one is pretty easy to install. aftermarket is a little more work but is a lot cheaper cost. i install them all day long.

Back