Any help on how to install a new starter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any help on how to install a new starter?

dlo

Reaction score
City, State
Randolph, Maine...Back home baby!!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I did a few searches and nothing. Does anyone have info to a link, picture thread or even some quick info they can give me on installing a new starter on a 96 4.0 with an auto tranny?

Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its really easy. As simple as taking the 2 bolts of, and disconnecting the cables. But be careful, the top bot is a pain in the but to get at, there pretty tight, me and my stepdad had alittle bit of trouble getting at it, but we didnt have the right tools. Youll also need a deep welled socket.

I jus got the starter in the mail and am going to attempt it this weekend. Hoping for No snow and fairly decent weather. Always sucks putting your truck on ramp and being on the ground at 20 degree's out. Wish me luck :)

HA, i didnt have to put it on ramps, it would be easier off them i think so you have more leverage cause its up high enough under the truck. If you go through the wheel wells to, that might be easy too, i just went right under the trucl with a deepwelled socket and a couple of extensions and got it off.

Try leaving the wheels on the ground and go thru the wheel well to get to the bolts. Make sure you disconnect the batt first (duh!).

I used a normal metric socket (13mm IIRC) u joint, 6inch or so extension, another ujoint another extension, socket. Worked pretty easy, I left the wires connected till I unbolted it from the block then you can turn it and look at the wires as you do it. I did it with my truck on the ground but parked over a low spot in the grass so I had a little more room. Or should I say got towed and dropped over a low spot. Took 20mins to take out, maybe 30 to put in and it was my first.

Okay, so the update is she died the other night and I had to do the typical "hammer to the outside of the old starter to get the brushes to release" maneuver and I am soooo gonna pay someone to replace the starter after seeing where it is located.
Best damn $50 bucks I am gonna spend (will be done as of 3/6 in the am) :)
Can't wait to get the truck running again.

What side wheel well? Driver or passenger?

Drivers side.

Im trying to replace mine, got the bottom bolt with the ground wire off, but I CANNOT get that other bolt off, ive tried going through the engine area, and nothing, tried going through the wheelwell, and I cant get it!

I have the 13mm socket on the swivel adaptor, and right at the wrench are the extentions, so am I doing something wrong?

(Socket wrench > extension(s) > swivel piece ? 13mm socket) is how im trying.

funny that this got bumped. i'm thinking i have to do this myself. broke down about 30 minutes from my house at a mall lol. and i work doubles for the next 2 days, then a morning shift. i hope it doesnt get towed. but it doesnt turn over, just one click. lights and all are fine. some other research says that it's possible that it might not be the starter tho. but ima call around tomorrow.

EDIT: wait...further research shows that came from a 'not so smart' shop. so i'm going back to thinking it's the starter

Is the clicking sound coming from the starter? If so, try smacking the starter with a hammer. SOmetimes that will get it to where it will start. You could also use a test light to verify that you are getting power to the starter.

Its just one CLICK when you turn the key, lights stay on, mine actually dim pretty good, but then you let off they key and its one more CLICK. Ive had it where my battery was low and it sounded like a toy tommy gun click click click click click like 90 miles an hour.

I STILL cant get that bolt off!

Brian urz sounds more like a low battery. or dead battery. One click= starter. multiple clicks = battery. even with a jump a dead battery will cause a no crank or a "tommy gun" starter sound

Old thread..lol I dont have that explorer anymore, but it wasnt the starter, it was the cables. All I did was wiggle the cable and it would crank right up.

I would never change a starter on these things though, call me stupid but after about 4 hours of trying for one bolt, thats it for me lol.

yea i know old post but meh.... i was looking for starter info and i saw the thread ha ha

Short 1/4"

I used a short 1/4" ratchet with a deep 13mm socket and had no trouble getthing the bolt off. Just need to get in between all the junk. Problem that I'm having, now, is that I can't get the started out. It keeps getting jammed up, no matter which way I twist and turn it. I'm hoping I don't need to drop the driveshaft or differential. Anyone else have this problem?

Just did my starter not to bad layed under the driverside was able to get to both nut and bolt with no problems..was a 14mm socket though and a 17mm for the bottom bolt..

I used a short 1/4" ratchet with a deep 13mm socket and had no trouble getthing the bolt off. Just need to get in between all the junk. Problem that I'm having, now, is that I can't get the started out. It keeps getting jammed up, no matter which way I twist and turn it. I'm hoping I don't need to drop the driveshaft or differential. Anyone else have this problem?

I have the same problem getting my starter off my 1996 Explorer 4.0 . Don't let this thread die until I get an answer, PLEASE!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my starter off but can't get it out all the holes are to small for the starter to fit through.. Any advice?

Back