• Register Today It's free!

Hood Deflector

janskim

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited AWD 302A
Anyone install the Ford Hood Deflector on their Ex.

1, Did you have to drill any holes?
2, Pics of the final look.

Any input would be appreciated debating on installing on a Silver Ex and possibly having it painted silver to match better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone install the Ford Hood Deflector on their Ex.

1, Did you have to drill any holes?
2, Pics of the final look.

Any input would be appreciated debating on installing on a Silver Ex and possibly having it painted silver to match better.

I installed it a week after I got my Ex....it looks pretty good! I've also got the Silver Ex, but I think it would look funny painted silver. The dark looks nice, especially with tinted windows. I don't have any pics yet. It's difficult to install, but does not require any holes. Instead, it requires clips that snap REALLY hard onto the lip of the hood, and then a couple screws in existing holes. Frankly, Ford's instructions on how to install ANYTHING, splash guards, rear bumper protector, hood deflector...all SUCK!! There is illustrations, but absolutely nothing written. If my short memory doesn't fail, I'll try to get a picture up soon.

I installed it a week after I got my Ex....it looks pretty good! I've also got the Silver Ex, but I think it would look funny painted silver. The dark looks nice, especially with tinted windows. I don't have any pics yet. It's difficult to install, but does not require any holes. Instead, it requires clips that snap REALLY hard onto the lip of the hood, and then a couple screws in existing holes. Frankly, Ford's instructions on how to install ANYTHING, splash guards, rear bumper protector, hood deflector...all SUCK!! There is illustrations, but absolutely nothing written. If my short memory doesn't fail, I'll try to get a picture up soon.

What do you think of the "Clear bra" paint protection application.

I have the clear bra on the bumper portion. Wasn't thrilled on how it looked on the hood from prev exp with it.

JustB

Curious on those clips. You said they mount on the edge of the hood, do they make contact with the painted front of the hood in any way. The reason I ask is any contact will trap dirt and over time it will start rubbing the clear, speaking from past exp with a bug deflector on another vehicle that was designed similarly

JustB

Curious on those clips. You said they mount on the edge of the hood, do they make contact with the painted front of the hood in any way. The reason I ask is any contact will trap dirt and over time it will start rubbing the clear, speaking from past exp with a bug deflector on another vehicle that was designed similarly

It came with clear sticker/tabs that had to be put on where the clips make contact, I'd imagine to prevent the problem you're talking about. I never thought about the clear bra for the hood, and have considered it for the bumper, but I'm not sure I wanted the extra lines on my vehicle.

If you get a chance post some pics would love to see. Leaning towards the hood deflector but at the same time clear bra said they could do a custom front strip which only went up 3" the very front edge.

Personally, I think the clear bra is bogus and a waste of money. Todays vehicle have high tech paints and are applied by robots in controlled environments. a clear bra adds nothing.

The hood deflector wasn't that hard to put on. The hard part was lining up the clear tabs that the clips go over.

The hood deflector wasn't that hard to put on. The hard part was lining up the clear tabs that the clips go over.

I guess, the hardest part for me was mentally pushing the clips over the edge of the hood! Those things snap on pretty hard! :D

I have been debating this. Had one on the expedition but not one on the Excursion..do you think it really helps with anything. Taking a 4000 mile drive in August.

Thanks,

Jack

It's hard for me to tell right now, because it's early spring, and not much has been out to hit the front of my EX. I've had them on my 2 Rangers, and I do think they help, especially with little stone chips in the hood.

I've already had the bottom bumper take a hit from a rock before I put the clear film on. My first chip, mentally it was hard to take the first flakes of paint missing.

I just pulled the hood deflector off of mine- it was installed by the dealer and I personally don't like them. If anyone wants it, let me know. You will need to get something to replace the paint-protector pads as they are a one-time use item.

I also have the window deflectors available- they need new adhesive.

If anyone is looking to install a hood bug deflector would suggest the Lund. Just finished putting it on my silver Ex and it looks great and went on very easy. Bought the Ford bug deflector and after looking at all the pieces and clips opts for the Lund.

You know we're going to need some pictures :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny I just installed the ford one this weekend. I thought the same thing when I looked at those clips and screws and the lousy isntructions that are just pictures, but after five minutes of playing with the clips and looking at the hood the light bulb went on and it was very easy to put on. I am happy with the ford deflector and really like the way the clips hold it away from any contact with the hood.

Back