Hood Deflector | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Deflector

The thing that didn't sit well with the Ford design was clipping those metal clips to the hood despite the 3M clear tape. Lund use 4 screws which go into existing holes and sits away from the hood. Came with 4 clear bumpers to put on hood vs the black ones the Ford comes with. I opted not to install as it was pretty rigid felt it would not flex back to make contact. Will try and post pics after the next wash to get this nasty pollen off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If anyone is looking to install a hood bug deflector would suggest the Lund. Just finished putting it on my silver Ex and it looks great and went on very easy. Bought the Ford bug deflector and after looking at all the pieces and clips opts for the Lund.

Thanks for the info, I was going to go with WeatherTech but they don't make it yet or it's not available from their website. I like the way this looks and sounds Ez to install.

:usa:

Hood Deflector

got the authentic fomoco parts, looked at the poorly designed manual that came with it - the schematics aren't even the same thing as whats under my hood. anyone installed these yet - pics of the install to help out? thanks.

Return it and buy the Lund one. Much easier install

Pics please :)

I pick up my hood deflector from Autozone tomorrow...hopefully I get the right one this time. Promise to post up pics. It's the same as what janskim has. It's actually made by Auto Vent Shade but they're apparently under the same ownership as Lund now.

IMG_20110603_200600.jpg

IMG_20110603_200605.jpg

IMG_20110603_200613.jpg

IMG_20110603_200625.jpg

An alternative to the hood deflector, if you don't like the look or installation:

http://www.clearmask.com/

The have the kits for the 2011 Explorers.

Cryptiq nice truck looks like mine :) I like the hood deflector over the clearmask. Had the film on for a week and took it off because did not like the line it showed.

I want one! been holding out for one made by WeatherTech... was it Ez to install (I mean how many nuts, bolts, screws, tape was involved)?

Looks Great! thanks for the pics.

I want one! been holding out for one made by WeatherTech... was it Ez to install (I mean how many nuts, bolts, screws, tape was involved)?

It was pretty easy to install. In fact, the biggest ordeal was ordering it. Lund's website still lists 2 deflectors that are not compatible and your local auto parts store likely will also have the same incorrect information. But the part you need is made by Auto Vent Shade, and the # is 25164. I told Lund to fix their website 3 weeks ago but they still have wrong part #s listed :banghead: When I have a moment I'll scan the instructions and put them up. Basically it went like this:

Tools required:
- Large head phillips screwdriver
- Pliers
- Trim/moulding removal tool or something similar: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

1) Pop hood, raise it up a couple feet. Observe weatherstripping attached to the underside on the front of the hood. The seal is held in place by multiple plastic clips. You'll have to remove 4 of these to install the deflector.

2) (may help to have 2 people for this part) Hold deflector in place and take note or mark the 4 plastic clips that line up with the 4 tabs on the underside of the deflector.

3) Remove plastic 4 plastic clips. Be careful to not damage the rubber seal. I recommend the trim tools for this purpose. You can damage the seal if you use a screwdriver or other metal object and you're not careful. I found it easy to pry them up slightly and then grab them with a set of pliers and rip them out.

4) Put hood deflector in place, it has 4 tabs that tuck between the weatherstripping and the hood. These are secured using 4 bolts and rubber washers to protect the seal.

It took about 10min in total to do by myself. Probably only need 5min if you have a helper.

Ford Hood Deflector

Just ordered and had the Ford hood deflector installed on my tuxedo black XLT. I hardly even notice it's there! Love the way it looks. I ordered that and the rear bumper protector through my dealer. They got them overnight and installed them the next day...no labor charge! Both look great.

Just ordered and had the Ford hood deflector installed on my tuxedo black XLT. I hardly even notice it's there! Love the way it looks. I ordered that and the rear bumper protector through my dealer. They got them overnight and installed them the next day...no labor charge! Both look great.

Hello, post a pic of the rear bumper protector! was thinking about this but I wanted to see one first.

i like those pics of the lund... i would consider them but thinking...
everytime i wax the vehicle then i have to remove 4 bolts all the time eh? no quick release system eh?

i like those pics of the lund... i would consider them but thinking...
everytime i wax the vehicle then i have to remove 4 bolts all the time eh? no quick release system eh?

No, it sits up off the hood to allow u to easily wash and wax.

Hello, post a pic of the rear bumper protector! was thinking about this but I wanted to see one first.

I tried taking a picture of it, but black on black makes it hard to show up. Here's a stock picture of it. It looks exactly like this one.

BB5Z-17B807-A-2T.jpg

I'll post a picture of the rear bumper protector later today, I have one on my silver Explorer, so it will show up well. It's an easy install as they have paper that lines up with the bumper and curves of the back of the Explorer so that the protector lines up perfectly on the bumper.

It takes maybe 10-15 minutes to install.

Wanted to give everyone a heads up, I don't recommend the AVS Bugflector II Part #25164. I opened my hood the other day and noticed the deflector has been making contact with my grill and has rubbed the paint off. I've sent Lund/AVS an email to advise them of the issue and I'll follow-up with this thread when I have an update.

Checked mine and don't have the rubbing wear issue. Curious what Lund/AVS says. I think also the inconsistancy with Ford fit on these body panels maybe playing a role. There have been many issues noted with door panels being off, tailgates not lining up your hood maybe tighter then mine hence the rubbing.

Checked mine and don't have the rubbing wear issue. Curious what Lund/AVS says. I think also the inconsistancy with Ford fit on these body panels maybe playing a role. There have been many issues noted with door panels being off, tailgates not lining up your hood maybe tighter then mine hence the rubbing.

I contacted customer service again because they never got back to me. This time they said I need to send them pics so their tech can look into the issue, and 3 estimates for the repair. Will follow-up once I get thru that process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm waiting for the Weathertech version as well and also the Window Vent Shades. I purchased 3 sets previously and I'm very satisfied.:thumbsup:

Back