Ford Touch / Sync not working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Touch / Sync not working

2 days ago, when I started my Explorer, the main display screen was black. It took about 10 minutes & it started the boot up sequence. Then today, I started up my car and it was completely black & like that for my 20-minute drive to work. Guess I'm about to be making a trip to the dealership. The bad thing is I leave for a weeklong vacation in a couple days. I will be VERY disappointed if I have to drive 5 hours with no radio or navigation!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Screen went dead after 3 weeks and 1000km for the first time. Pulled fuse #29, all OK now.
My only problem was the Browse function for Sirius did not work. Now this problem went away!

Welcome to the forum! I bet you’re excited about your trip to Florida. Please feel free to drop me a line via PM with the details I mentioned above if you’d like any help with the issues you’ve been experiencing.

Cory

Thanks! At this time I don't think I need any help with anything. I'm pretty sure the dealership will handle any problems I have. I understand there are going to be bugs with new technologies.

And yes ,we're looking forward to our "test drive" to Florida. Just the information I've gotten here (and printed out) will help if we encounter any problems on the road and have to stop in at a dealer along the way. Rob

2 days ago, when I started my Explorer, the main display screen was black. It took about 10 minutes & it started the boot up sequence. Then today, I started up my car and it was completely black & like that for my 20-minute drive to work. Guess I'm about to be making a trip to the dealership. The bad thing is I leave for a weeklong vacation in a couple days. I will be VERY disappointed if I have to drive 5 hours with no radio or navigation!
I’d hate not having those features too on a trip like that. I would like to offer my assistance by escalating your concern. Would you mind sending me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can do this?

myfoot, you’re welcome! Let me know if you change your mind! :)

Cory

I’d hate not having those features too on a trip like that. I would like to offer my assistance by escalating your concern. Would you mind sending me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can do this?

myfoot, you’re welcome! Let me know if you change your mind! :)

Cory

Hi Cory,

Sorry to butt in, and this is probably the wrong forum thread for this question, but can you tell me if there will be an SD Card based navigation system for ford MYTouch owners? I know one of the requirements is that you would need the 8 inch My Ford touch sync system, The reason i asked is that the dealership i deal with (Crossley Ford, Libery, MO) was nice enough to let me try to see if if the SD Card for Navigation would work from another vehicle similar to mine, in my 2011 Explorer XLT, Alas it didn't work :(

I also own a 2010 camaro which has the turn by turn navigation but is a little easier than the sync services and is not tied the Mobile Phone number like sync services is. And she is wanting to install onstar in the Explorer :rolleyes: and i really don't want to do that.. So any information you can provide would be most appreciated.:)

Thanks
John

Hey Guys for what its worth I just left the Ford 2012 Fleet Product Review in Dearborn MI. Being at this event allows access to some of the critical people in Ford engineering and management.

I know Cory has been updating everyone and I just wanted to chime in as I spoke to some key people in Ford about SYNC/MFT.

The feedback I got was that there is no bigger priority in the organization right now then the issues we here on 2011 Ex forum are experiencing.

Im told in July we will see MFT completely re-written, don't know if its with Microsoft Mobile OS7 or not just know its completely being re-done, not just updated.

The people who advised me of this were well aware of the SYNC/MFT issues and assured me it has been elevated right up to the CEO of Ford.

Heads literally rolled over this.

They should roll. As much goodwill as Ford had left from the bailout scenario, combined with their gains in quality and market share, are just about to be completely cast aside by a single option, installed in what is supposed to be a flagship vehicle. Very disappointing.

They should roll. As much goodwill as Ford had left from the bailout scenario, combined with their gains in quality and market share, are just about to be completely cast aside by a single option, installed in what is supposed to be a flagship vehicle. Very disappointing.

Ford never needed the bail out money. They took a loan out because they didn't want GM and Chrysler to have that extra money around.....Still none the less this whole MFT is turning into the same thing as the transmissions in the previous generations.

Ford never needed the bail out money. They took a loan out because they didn't want GM and Chrysler to have that extra money around.....

That's what I meant- I know of (at last count) 29 people that bought Ford because they didn't take the bailout, but that goodwill is about gone now.

Im told in July we will see MFT completely re-written, don't know if its with Microsoft Mobile OS7 or not just know its completely being re-done, not just updated.

The people who advised me of this were well aware of the SYNC/MFT issues and assured me it has been elevated right up to the CEO of Ford.

Heads literally rolled over this.

I think this is great news for us. I think with all the bad publicity about MFT they will have to make it right for all of us who currently have it. Mine is really not bad at all (knock on wood) and kicking it up a few notches is like a home run. :D

By the way Sgt, thank you for the update!!!!

It's still a shame its going down this path. Should have work on quality and not quantity. Refine what they had not jam more stuff into something that didn't really work as it stood. It's like every other day I read another post about the MFT going crazy on someone. I really hope everyone gets their trucks in working order

I agree- the whole launch has been tainted, and honestly- when we buy a new vehicle in the spring, it may now be an Edge, and not an Ex. Either way, we will not be buying MFT as an option at this point.

It's still a shame its going down this path.

TOTALLY agree. When I read others posts that are having problems it really sucks and they should have never had to go thru this. That said, Ford did screw up and that's that, so now lets see what they do about it. If that falls short I can pretty much assure you I will sell my stock because the long term will be full of problems for them!! I can't begin to think what it is like being a mechanic and faced daily by outraged owners with computer problems...OYE!! :rolleyes:

Tks Sgt for the insider info. I think Fords priorities to get us current owners satisfied:

1, MFT
2, A pillar - TSB
3, Angled roof section and rain rain noise - TSB
4, Darn streaky windows - TSB

jcorcione, I sent that down the line to be researched. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Sgt1411, I agree with gdecamp: Thank you for taking the time to post that. I also verified an update will be released soon for MFT. Like janskim mentioned, it’s very important that you’re happy with your purchase.

Joe Dirt, I know the SYNC Engineering team wants to make this right. I’ll post here when I get any new details.

Cory

jcorcione, I sent that down the line to be researched. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Sgt1411, I agree with gdecamp: Thank you for taking the time to post that. I also verified an update will be released soon for MFT. Like janskim mentioned, it’s very important that you’re happy with your purchase.

Joe Dirt, I know the SYNC Engineering team wants to make this right. I’ll post here when I get any new details.

Cory

Thanks Cory for sending that on. I had to have the APM (i think) replaced 3 days after i just took delivery of the Explorer. Now it would be awesome goodwill if they could offer navigation as part of the Major Rewrite and Upgrade of the MFT sync system. As I am also having BT issues as well. Currently MFT system is VERY Laggy:(

Adding my data point. XLT has been home 2 months, when myFord Touch froze and then got stuck in a reboot loop. Prior to this issue, I had 2 months of no issues, I thought I was blessed, based on the threads here. Fuse and battery cable pulls gave no change to the reboot loop. Dropped it off yesterday, dealer confirmed it needed a new APIM. APIM arrived and was installed today. Picking it back up in a few hours. Fingers crossed.

I hope the new APIM works for you and you didn't have to go through the hoops I'm going through to get one.

I hope the new APIM works for you and you didn't have to go through the hoops I'm going through to get one.

Saw your other thread and the mess you have been through. My dealer here in NJ gave it a look, attempted to reinstall the software once, saw that it failed, and went straight for a new APIM. He had one (or more) already on order for delivery today, so they installed and updated to 2.8 today.
I'll report back when it's back in my garage in a few hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was (and still kind of am) a fan of MFT. However, after MFT worked almost flawlessly for me the first 3 weeks of ownership, I now have had unexplained total losses of bluetooth and USB functionality with an iPhone 3GS, two prolonged MFT screen freezes (which led to maintenance screens) and finally today, navigation issues that ultimately caused the system to get hung up and stuck on a nav screen (hopefully it will be unstuck when I get back in the car/ Loganfilm, sorry for counterpointing so often on nav, but mine was really working despite heavy use until today).

Given all the issues I started having with MFT, I am probably going to search out the thread on cheaper extended warranty plans from some dealer in Tenn (something I have never bought before and think it is pretty bad that the only reason I am buying it now is because of MFT).

While a complete re-do of the MFT sounds promising, I hope it is really well tested because I don't know that I trust Ford enough now to write and release a bunch of NEW code that is not full of bugs. Don't get me wrong, I still really like MFT but hate that I can't count on it to work when I need it.

Back