Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
Ok.... here we go...

Finally put the airbags back in Pickle tonight..

The airbags, the wiring and everything else is from a 2000 Limited 4 dr, I have put it all in a 99 2 dr, but, I retained the 99 2dr airbag control thingie mounted in the front passenger footwell.

I did this because the 4dr wiring had impact sensors on the B pillars and there was no way for me to mount them on my 99 2dr B pillars.

The code is apparently related to the front seat, but I'm not sure if this is because I used the 2000 wiring with the 99 computer, although visually, the wiring was the same.

I've tried cleaning out the plug under the driver's seat and still flashy light flashes...

I've got to get this working properly before my safety or I can't get my plates.....

Any suggestions?

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Code 36 is related to the drivers side airbag.
The RCM connector pinouts are identical so you can rule out wiring incompatibility between the two. I am sending you info. Let me know if it doesn't make it across the pond.

You're across the big pond from me! ;)

Niagara falls....

So, I blasted out the plug with a compressed air can, but it made no difference, I'm thinking of swapping the seat with the other one I have tomorrow to see if that makes a difference...

Si

soooo... swapped out the driver's seat for another one that just happens to be laying around... and code 36 is still there...

So now what? wiring? control box?

Si

How about the pin point tests I sent you, did you do any of those? That will tell you if the wiring is the problem.

I honestly don't understand the sheets. The code reader we have doesn't bring up any codes.
Si

The local shop is bringing their super duper scanner to my house tomorrow to read the airbag... hopefully find something and rectumfy it before next week

Si

ok, so the mechanic with the reader eventually turned up... and we had this list:-

B1318 ignition voltage below 9v
B1892 Airbag Tone Indicator Circuit Short to Ground/Open
B1932 Driver AirBag Resistance High
B1933 Passenger Air Bag Resistance High
B1994 Driver AirBag Resistance High
B1995 Driver Airbag Resistance Low
B1999 Pass Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low

He then cleared out all my codes and 2 came back
B1995
B1999.

So... how do I go about fixing them?

Si

ok, so I swapped over the module from the 99 sport to the 2000 limited, and instead of 36 flashing up, now I get a 44... so it looks like I'm going to have to find some way of installing the side impact sensors... I think... but if anyone's got any suggestions, I'm all ears...

Thanks

Si

A 44 lamp flash code on a 99 Explorer is "Driver Side Crash Sensor Communication Fault". That sensor is located in the pillar between the front and rear doors. This mix-n-match route is going to be crazy to diagnose/repair from afar and without the scan tool !

just to clarify, everything inside the vehicle now is from the 2000 limited... the codes are probably because I didn't fit the side impact sensors... so, I'm going to try them and see if it gets rid of the flashing lights.

On a side note, the control unit in the 99 sport had a build date of 98 on it.. so that's probably why I had all those issues in the first place.

Si

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
well, I installed 2 side impact sensors... NO FLASHING LIGHT!!!!

Thanks to everyone who's helped me with this headache!!!!

Si

Cheers and have a cold one for me!:chug::salute:

I couldn't have done it without your email, that's for sure, so thanks man! Beers when it's got plates on it, but no driving! haha

Si

36 on dash code

How about the pin point tests I sent you, did you do any of those? That will tell you if the wiring is the problem.

can you send me that info to test the wiring?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info

Back