How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

CDN_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer LTD
Sorry if this is a new thread but I couldn't find the previous one anymore where someone had started it and mentioned that they didn't know how to replace the second row bulbs. I just swapped mine tonight!

Here is the DIY
(This is how I did it, which doesn't mean there is no other way. All I needed was 2 screw drivers)

The front dome lights:

With a flat head screw driver pop out the clear plastic gently. It will be a bit reluctant to come out but it will come off all the way without forcing it.

IMG_0957.jpg

I then proceeded with removing the aluminum "foil." It is very thin so be careful not to bend it out of shape too much.
Once it's off you'll have easy access to pull the bulb out.

IMPORTANT! Before putting the LED bulb in, put the foil back in place, otherwise it won't fit over the bulb.

Once the foil is in, inset the bulb and test it. If it doesn't, flip the bulb.

Once they are both in, you can clip the plastic back in and voila!

The rear ones are EASIER!

Under the flip out coat hanger you'll find a screw, see below:
IMG_0958.jpg

Once the screw is out, the assembly will come out:

IMG_0959.jpg

The bulb is located in the side of the housing. To remove it, simply twist the bulb assembly 45 degrees and it pops out:

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

put it all back in, and this is the result:

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

I also replaced the license plate lights, which is so simple, it's pretty much self explanatory, but if anyone is in doubt, don't hesitate to ask.

IMG_0967-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great job, that looks awesome!

CDN great job, looks super, did you have the part number needed for replacement? Thanks.

great job.. I was the one who is looking for info. however since I don't have moonroof, my second row light looks different, pretty much identical to your 3rd row.

do you by any chances know how to pop the 3rd row light open?

CDN great job, looks super, did you have the part number needed for replacement? Thanks.

Yes, the replacement bulbs are SMD194 wedge bulbs. In the front dome lights I used bulbs with 9 individual LED lights on it and in the rear I used the shorter ones with only 5.

As for the removal of the 3rd row/ 2nd row without sunroof, you can pry a flathead screw driver under the side that doesn't have the "light on/off" button. It will simply pop out. However getting to the bulb is a whole different story. I havent figured out how yet.

Such in an inviting atmosphere!

Do they still dim?

LED light swap does wonders.

Looks great man. I can't wait to get a 2011 explorer.

Yes, the replacement bulbs are SMD194 wedge bulbs. In the front dome lights I used bulbs with 9 individual LED lights on it and in the rear I used the shorter ones with only 5.

As for the removal of the 3rd row/ 2nd row without sunroof, you can pry a flathead screw driver under the side that doesn't have the "light on/off" button. It will simply pop out. However getting to the bulb is a whole different story. I havent figured out how yet.

Page 82 of the owners manual says they are LED's with no replacement part number. It says to see dealer for replacement. I'd bet it's the whole assembly.

Do they still dim?

Yes they still dim!

AND unlike other LEDs in other cars that I've done this mod in, they turn off completely. In my previous car, due to the low electric current required by LEDs, they would retain a low dim even when turned off. This is not the case in the Explorer. One possible explanation is that I still have the original light in the trunk which might be sufficient to draw the necessary power to avoid the LEDs from glowing.

IMO this is what Ford should have done from the start with all their new vehicles, especially the upscale models like the Limited. It's just a more classy look. I really wish there was a manufacturer to make a replacement assembly for the puddle lights in the mirror since so far nobody figured out how to access the bulbs.

I dont have my Ex yet but do you have the part number for the LED bulbs or where did you grab them from

I really wish there was a manufacturer to make a replacement assembly for the puddle lights in the mirror since so far nobody figured out how to access the bulbs.

CDN look on Edge forum or taurus forum, they have done the mod on puddle lights.

Picked our x up this evening, parts manager ( I showed him in the manual) about the LEDs. No clue, I showed him the thread he said he would like to see the bulbs first, but offered to complete for me at no charge, maybe offer as an upgrade for others. CDN you get the commission!

picked our x up this evening, parts manager ( i showed him in the manual) about the leds. No clue, i showed him the thread he said he would like to see the bulbs first, but offered to complete for me at no charge, maybe offer as an upgrade for others. Cdn you get the commission!

nice!!

Thanks CDN_Explorer!
I ordered the same LED's as you and they look great. I actually ended up putting the lights w/ 9LED's in the tag light positition b/c I didn't like that it actually touched the plastic of the map light cover.

I actually took apart the 3rd row dome light and popped it apart. You just have to pull the center circuit board up while pulling the two sides outwards. When that is slightly loosened, you do the other side the same way and the whole circuit board pops out.

Problem is... the light in there is actually LED like someone mentioned. Would it be hard to change out the actual LED on the part?

(I've got a picture if anyone wants to see but I don't know how to post pictures onto here)

Also I've seen the puddle light mod on other forums and the ways I saw to get it off were either dremel, hot knife, or oven. I think this is next on my list.

Thanks CDN_Explorer!
I ordered the same LED's as you and they look great. I actually ended up putting the lights w/ 9LED's in the tag light positition b/c I didn't like that it actually touched the plastic of the map light cover.

I actually took apart the 3rd row dome light and popped it apart. You just have to pull the center circuit board up while pulling the two sides outwards. When that is slightly loosened, you do the other side the same way and the whole circuit board pops out.

Problem is... the light in there is actually LED like someone mentioned. Would it be hard to change out the actual LED on the part?

(I've got a picture if anyone wants to see but I don't know how to post pictures onto here)

Also I've seen the puddle light mod on other forums and the ways I saw to get it off were either dremel, hot knife, or oven. I think this is next on my list.

Mike just to be clear when you say 3rd row overhead interior light you're speaking about the one in the middle of the headliner just above the 3rd row seats correct?

Im trying to find a brighter bulb too because the lighting sucks back there and in the dark you can't read the switch pack that controls the PowerFold 3rd row seats.

That switch pack should be backlit, it's a very poor design. Apparently thats fixed for 13MY but Im not holding my breath.

A brighter 3rd row headliner lamp would be of great benefit.

@ Sgt1411: yeah that's the light I'm talking about in the center. It's not a bulb though, it's one square LED which I hope there is some way to change (color atleast) or add a bulb to make it brighter...
That's beyond my abilities though, that's why I'm hoping someone here can help with this

I put some LED's in my license plate lights but I am not getting all of the light going downwards onto the license plate. The light pattern seems to shoot across the plate on an angle with one bult and the other bulb points away from the plate. I may need to try some other bulbs for the license plate, or insert some foil wrap in the light fixture to get light to shine downwards ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

iagree.gif

Very disappointed with the map lights, you couldn't read a map if you had to much too dim! I would have expected more in my Limited.

Just a side note since we're talking about LED's...our X is the NEW CUV, yet the Edge got new LED DLR's, not our cars, another WTF.

Yes they still dim!

AND unlike other LEDs in other cars that I've done this mod in, they turn off completely. In my previous car, due to the low electric current required by LEDs, they would retain a low dim even when turned off. This is not the case in the Explorer. One possible explanation is that I still have the original light in the trunk which might be sufficient to draw the necessary power to avoid the LEDs from glowing.

IMO this is what Ford should have done from the start with all their new vehicles, especially the upscale models like the Limited. It's just a more classy look. I really wish there was a manufacturer to make a replacement assembly for the puddle lights in the mirror since so far nobody figured out how to access the bulbs.

Back