All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

thanks for the reply...have looked can't even find a plug in for it...have took the door cover off to see if the keypad was plugged in or if they might of put on a replacement door,everythings plugged in...is there anywhere else the rad could be or is that the only place they put in on a 96??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cannot believe this... I've had my truck for about 8 years and never knew this. I knew a dealer would charge money, so I just planned on never using it. I'm finding out so much stuff now, just because I happened to be researching for other stuff. Thanks!

Door lock codes

I have been on this Forum for a while now and can truly say it's the best forum ever. I have received so much help and information it really is appriciated how everyone participates and assists each other. I would like to say Thank You to everyone for there help.:salute:

Great info makes life easy when you know where the code is

I have a 1998 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC. I have one original remote for it that works fine. I want to program a second one that I recently purchased. I have tried everything that I have read on this thread (and more) and it will not go into program mode...any ideas?
I have disconnected the battery for 10 min to let it reset several times as well during this pain in my tail...please help.

This is a DUMB question but, when entering a keypad sequence is it 1 push for the first digit of the button and 2 presses for the second digit of the button?

I never used a ford keypad before, and I already got my factory code from the RAP device in the rear.

thnx

* edit, nevermind i figured it out. One press is for either number.

Yep, Its right where you said it was and it works!!! Thanks. BTW, I just bought my 00. Now I'm waiting on a keyless remote from someone on ebay. They said it is real easy to program. I hope. So if you press 5/6 after the code the trunk will open???

Thanks

xan thanks for posting this info on remote programing it worked like a charm do you know if there is an alarm with this suv 99 ford explorer xlt

My actual keypad seems dead. It doesn't light up at all, none of the button clicks seem to register and all the buttons feel 'flat/non-moving' except 1|2.

Is there anything I should try for troubleshooting before I replace the pad? Is it possible/feasible to replace the pad? Expensive? Junkyard item?

Thanks Xan! I always wondered how you would program the remotes if I need to replace one. Unfortunately I paid to get the keypad entry and then the former owner found the original tags a week later!...Oh well! Thanks for letting me know where I can find the keypad code in case I lose those tags again.

thanks for putting this up...like the others, this was a huge help.

Thanks Xan!

Thank you for this info! My keyless entry in my 1995Eddie Bauer I got from the previous owner who had kept all of the original keys and that along with the owners manual and complete servicing schedule. It has already saved me once as I got out of the car with the engine running and the doors auto-locked! Wish they wouldn't do that! Fortunately, I had already gotten the codes otherwise I might have been in some trouble there! Of particular interest was on how to program the remote in case I need to program another one in the future. Thanks for this Xan, very helpful information!

thanks

I think this might be one of the most useful posts Ive ever read great job.

programming a remote

I'm fairly new the site, and I've already got some very useful information here.
I purchased a 99 explorer and I didn't come with a remote. We've been using the key to unlock the doors for the past 5mo. I've always been curious how to program these things. Just for kicks I tried programming one of our 03 mustang remotes and it worked! Thanks for the post!

I programmed a remote using these procedures today on my X. Good news!!
The remote works, but now the truck won't start...all I hear is the solenoid click.

Is it possible that this computer is somehow telling the main one NOT to start??

I had it towed to my mechanic tonight for him to take a look at it...I'll know more tomorrow.

I am more inclined to think that the inability to start is something in the starter circuit! I've had those click and no start with several Ford vehicles and it's usually a relay up on the firewall in the starter circuit causing it. I am not totally up on how the security systems controls the starter circuit in these Explorer's yet since I haven't had any problems with that.

Thank you for the info was very usefull, and it was kinda hard gettinf the number since the space is very limited i had to grab a kid from the street and i asked him to try to read those numbers for me, hope he dose not steal my truck now!! lol...

Thank you

Greetings from Mexico.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I programmed a remote using these procedures today on my X. Good news!!
The remote works, but now the truck won't start...all I hear is the solenoid click.

Is it possible that this computer is somehow telling the main one NOT to start??

I had it towed to my mechanic tonight for him to take a look at it...I'll know more tomorrow.

I am more inclined to think that the inability to start is something in the starter circuit! I've had those click and no start with several Ford vehicles and it's usually a relay up on the firewall in the starter circuit causing it. I am not totally up on how the security systems controls the starter circuit in these Explorer's yet since I haven't had any problems with that.

No worries...it was the starter. The fact that it happened right after programming the remote had me thinking that perhaps it had disabled the starter. While it was a bit costly to repair, it's back on the road now.

Back