2004 V8 4.6L right time to timing chain/band change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 V8 4.6L right time to timing chain/band change?

Col

Reaction score
City, State
Bogota, Colombia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited V6 3.5L 2014
Hello guys, as you saw in the Subject I need to know if tje V8- 4.6L 2004 Explorer has a timing Chain or timing band?.. How many miles to have a preventive change?, if the band or chain breaks the engine will be rip off?....

Thanks for your help!!!!..

Col. AKA: JorgeA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Turdle, i saw it and the engine has chain so it is not like small cars with belt timing with high risk to break and damage the internal parts of the engine.

Col.

Just curious - is replacing the timing chains something a 'shade tree mechanic' could do? It looks like a 4.6 timing set (chains, sprockets and guides) plus gaskets is less than $300 in parts. I've done a few timing belt replacements - it's time-consuming, but always turned out OK - just took my time and made sure everything was positioned correctly before bolting the covers back on.

Just curious - is replacing the timing chains something a 'shade tree mechanic' could do? It looks like a 4.6 timing set (chains, sprockets and guides) plus gaskets is less than $300 in parts. I've done a few timing belt replacements - it's time-consuming, but always turned out OK - just took my time and made sure everything was positioned correctly before bolting the covers back on.

Yes, it is something a shade tree can do. You have to remove a bunch of stuff that takes about 3 hours or so, depending on your pace. I wouldn't worry about the chains if I were you. I would just change out the guides, the tensioner, crank oil seal, and gaskets.

Harbor Freight has a real cheap and easy to use power steering pulley remover that helps.

You will also need two special tools to set the timing correctly. They are OTC 6020 and OTC 6009. When you take off the chain, the cams become spring loaded sheers just waiting for the perfect opportunity to take one of your fingers off clean. Experienced career technicians can come up with alternatives, but for a shade tree, don't mess around with this one without getting those two special tools.

Jayton, OTC 6020 & 6009 are what tools exactly? by description? is one the engine holding fixture? and the other the rocker/lash adjuster removal tool?

its not a difficult jobm just time consuming and requires some dedication to accuracy, I am about to mine next weekend once all the parts arrive.

Rob

Tools

On the amazon link above it also mentions an otc 6024 (crankshaft positioning too). Is this another necessary tool?

Also, which timing set did you guys buy and from where?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Back