Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

I agree the video's pathetic - I never expect much from those guys, but I just thought it was interesting that the problem that many are having (i.e. the front bumper contacts) was shown in the video (like I said, at around 10-15sec mark).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like they already fixed this trim issue with the 2012 edition. The pics of the new X it looks much smaller and similar to TomTom's trim job.

looks like they already fixed this trim issue with the 2012 edition. The pics of the new X it looks much smaller and similar to TomTom's trim job.

I noticed that too. They also took out the opening for the cooling thing. I wasn't sure if that was for all or just the 4cyl trucks.

Off Road (soft beach sand)

I took the truck off road today on the beach. Despite the low profile stock tires it was fine. Although I will say that my Expedition handled the soft sand much better than this truck. Picture came out nice:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/p9180055copy.jpg/

So from my experience the truck handles the snow, rain, soft beach sand just fine and probably better with better tires. I can't go up in profile too much because I like the 20" rims. So my only other choice (on a stock lift) would be 265/50 or 255/55. I was also happy with the clearance and didn't have a problem as I was driving in the low tracks.

I also towed up to the 5,000 lb limit and again it was fine.

If you are looking to occasionally go light off road, this truck will work. But anyone that wants a mod truck and frequently goes off roading, this is obviously not the truck for you.

I doubt it. I'm noticing more and more SUVs are loweing the front of thier trucks.

It was easy. I marked where I wanted to cut (on the back). I took off the lower facia and used a utility knife to trim it. Reinstalled it.

TomTom,
Does the lower facia pop off easily?

I noticed that too. They also took out the opening for the cooling thing. I wasn't sure if that was for all or just the 4cyl trucks.

wrong....my 2012 v6 still has this. i've scraped it a couple times pulling out of a standard angled cookie-cutter home's driveway...and even bumped it on a parking spot before. i've just learned to drive/park it like i do when i'm in the 370z.

I wonder if the 2012 trim piece would fit the 2011 ex?

this was from another thread....

Hey guys,

I did some digging and found that there was no change to the lower front bumper lip for the 12MY. The 12MY changes include EcoBoost, SYNC availability, and new colors.

Cory

That's funny b/c I test drove a 2011 before I bought my 2012 and it scraped the lip when I parked the car on the concrete parking stop. I pulled my 2012 (purchased 1 week later) into the exact same spot and it didn't scrape.

I know it was the same spot b/c the curb was broken right in front of the space so I couldn't mistaken it... :dunno:

That's funny b/c I test drove a 2011 before I bought my 2012 and it scraped the lip when I parked the car on the concrete parking stop. I pulled my 2012 (purchased 1 week later) into the exact same spot and it didn't scrape.

I know it was the same spot b/c the curb was broken right in front of the space so I couldn't mistaken it... :dunno:

How many riders did you have in the while test driving compared to when you drove the 2012?

My 2012 easily scrapes parking stops. It looks identical to the 2011s my dealer has.

when i scraped in the 2011 it was only me (160lbs) and my wife (90lbs).
when i parked the 2012 in the same space, I had her get out to check if I was going to scrub but I cleared it by a decent little bit. So the car was 90lbs lighter if that would've made any difference..?

I'll be bringing my car in for my new car detail this week I think, and will see how much clearance I have over the same parking stop.

that 90lbs could very well be the difference. come to think of it, i i scraped on a driveway when i had a passenger (maybe 190-200 lbs)

Is it easy to pop off the lower piece and trim it as a DIY project? I think TomTom did it. I don't want to attempt it and then have a disaster on my hands. Thanks.

yeh, when i was walking up to my truck yesterday, i saw where i could trim it like he did. but i'm trying to think of how i'd ensure to get a clean straight cut.....maybe use a piece of wood for a guide to get a straight line.

Sad to say that it might have been the extra 90lbs that lowered the front. I just have learned not to get too close to the parking stop, and find nice long stalls with MY2012.

2012 body lift kit

Has anyone heard or seen of a body lift kit for 2012 explorer?

Aren't they unibody....?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slap a frame under it and you can go as high as you want.

r01ijl.jpg

Back