Adding a backup / rearview camera | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a backup / rearview camera

That's weird. You'd think for efficiency's sake they'd just produce one wiring harness and only use the bits that are required. Hard to believe the cost of maintaining separate stock, etc. would be less than a couple wires and connectors.

Unless there is one style harness for base, XLT, and LTD. Maybe that's the case.

And how are things in STX? Armstrong family still own the Ford dealership?

I Lived there in the early 90's. Haven't been back in years.

St Croix is good... eternal summer... hence the Solstice...

Metro Motors has not changed much...

I have yet to rip open the lift gate to see for sure. I do know that the connector is different on the licence plate light (four pins) without camera, with camera 8 pins. However the size is not different, so the cabling from the connector to the connector at the roof line may include all wires. From the rear roof line to the front is just one part number, so all wires needed should be in there. Only problem would be in the dash finding the wire ends deep behind the radio unit. The wireless at $30, outweighs the risks opening that can of worms. I did check the harness in the rear bumper. I have base, no parking sensor, with trailer option... the pigtails for the parking sensors are there... it would seem one harness does all in this case, SO, if you have parking sensors and no trailer option, the trailer wiring IS in that harness...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I agree about the price, the only thing is that I dont want to drill a hole in the back of the car, I want something that I can mount, just like the OEM one.

So id like to get a camera that I can mount, hopefully using the mounting points of the OEM one, something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-R...ultDomain_0&hash=item1c1f004d84#ht_4522wt_853

It looks like this would work very well. A little tweeking to match what is here with the insert plate that covers where the OEM camera mounts, and you're away... add a $30 wireless transmitter directly to the camera connectors, grab a power feed from reverse light circuit from the stock harness top of tailgate... at roof line. Set up receiver and monitor up front -- you can do it for under $100 at that rate...

St Croix is good... eternal summer... hence the Solstice...

Metro Motors has not changed much...
The government, schools, and health care probably haven't either. :( That was the pity. Beautiful island, crappy infrastructure.

But I do remember floating around off Shoy's beach on Christmas day. Always a plus!

That's cool. They've probably been out for a while, but I've never looked.

Althought it doesn't help you since you don't have MFT, there is another thread about a software product that will turn the 8"screen on in video mode while driving. I'd love to have a rear view camera off of the enclosed trailer I tow. That would seem to be the way to easily get video from the trailer to the dash, and then just plug it into the video input. :thumbsup:

Althought it doesn't help you since you don't have MFT, there is another thread about a software product that will turn the 8"screen on in video mode while driving. I'd love to have a rear view camera off of the enclosed trailer I tow. That would seem to be the way to easily get video from the trailer to the dash, and then just plug it into the video input. :thumbsup:

Where is that thread ? we have, on the base model a smaller screen, maybe there is a way to transmit the video to that small screen also.... that would be cool

IMG-20110927-00415.jpg

The government, schools, and health care probably haven't either. :( That was the pity. Beautiful island, crappy infrastructure.

But I do remember floating around off Shoy's beach on Christmas day. Always a plus!

That's cool. They've probably been out for a while, but I've never looked.

Yeah, Shoy's is good, or Cane Bay or :cool:... there is always a beach for any occassion... or day for that matter...

As for requiring MFT... no big deal... the wireless alone system allows one the option to select from a number of monitors on the market. My choice is a 4" monitor located in close view level on the A pillar, eye level proximity with the outside mirror, so both can be easily watched.

Here is an image of the OEM camera within the mounting frame.

camera%20close.jpg

Second picture shows how the camera wiring harness is integrated into the back up light harness. Both end in the orange connector.

camera.jpg

Four connector pins without camera, 8 connector pins with camera. What I don't know yet is if the Lift gate harness has all wires anyway.

Is there a way to transmit the video from the camera, to the small screen that comes on the base model ?

Maybe using the AUX port ? Could that work ? Is that screen capable of showing video ?

IMG-20110927-00415.jpg

Another question..... should the aftermarket camera be NTSC or PAL ?

Ok, I ended up buying a rearview mirror with a 3.5 inch display and wireless camera.
Ill post some pics once I get it.

Where you planning to mount the screen

Where you planning to mount the screen

I think the screen is mounted in the rearview mirror itself. I had an Outback loaner with this feature and it is pretty cool.

I think the screen is mounted in the rearview mirror itself. I had an Outback loaner with this feature and it is pretty cool.

Yes, the screen is inside de mirror, when is turned off, you cant notice is there.
Something like this...

en_Rear_View_Mirror_GPS_With_Bluetooth.jpg_200x200.jpg

Here is an image of the OEM camera within the mounting frame.

camera%20close.jpg

Second picture shows how the camera wiring harness is integrated into the back up light harness. Both end in the orange connector.

camera.jpg

Four connector pins without camera, 8 connector pins with camera. What I don't know yet is if the Lift gate harness has all wires anyway.

Have you installed you back up camera? What looks like in your rear gate panel? How difficult to open it? Is there a backup light wire existing there? I plan to install a wireless camera there, and don't know where I mount the camera and east to connect to backup light wire. Thanks

Adding backup camera to base

Is there a way to add a backup camera to a base explorer so that the image appears in the radio display screen ? I have seen this in a factory installed version of an Edge. Curious if its possible and what might be required. We just bought my wife a 2013 model and I would like to keep her from mowing over as many things as possible since she is used to driving a Mustang !!!

No, that screen its not capable of displaying video

I had a generic camera (with night vision) installed on the original spot, and images are displayed on an aftermarket rearview mirror, it does its job just fine.

did you ever get the wire diagram? if so i am looking for the same thing Perhaps you can share it

Yes, and I did discover that the wiring inside the lift gate is different with and without OEM rear camera. The camera wiring is not present unless the vehicle is so equipped from day one. So basically you are left with doing a wireless setup of fishing a new wire overhead. Also you will need to fish a wire from the camera to the backup light circuit to turn camera on. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Were you able to this to your Explorer? if so do you have Pics you can share

Back