Replacing Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 2004 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 2004 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Message Bump... Any one have these pics??

My 04 Explorer with a flex fuel 4.0 V-6 (120k) was dying, idling rough, emitting black smoke (extremely rich mixture) after it would warm up (about 6 miles) and of course a check engine light. The 1st code was P00900, ("Fuel Rail Pressure Switch). It needed to be replaced, the part is about $125.00 from the dealer. The thing is you have to remove the intake manifold to access it. Not a big deal, I am mechanically inclined and an average gear head, it took me 2 hours. You will need a Torx T-27 bit, I bought one for a 1/4" drive socket driver from Lowes. I used an 8 inch extension and was able to remove all 8 intake manifold bolts with it. The tools needed were flat screwdriver, T27 torx bit, extension and ratchet, needle nose pliers. Because your are removing the intake go ahead and buy some new gaskets (O ring style) from the dealer while your there. The intake is plastic and lifts off easily, thankfully, the eight intake manifolds bolts stay in place on the manifold while removing and installing so you don't have to thread them through the manifold and into the engine.

Follow the steps below and save yourself some money. BTW, make sure your remove the pressure from the fuel line before dis-assembly.

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Need to replace the Fuel Pressure Rail Sensor on my 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0

Yep, hardest part is getting to the rear two intake manifold bolts. But it's easily doable in an afternoon. That sensor went out on mine around 100K.

Is there a video on this?

I had pictures , diagrams and instructions posted on this thread, but because of a couple forumite smartazzes didn't like to hear an differing opinion on Ford and some it's products, I chose to no longer share them.

Thank the resident forum idiots for that.

It ain't hard to change sensor, google around. Some of the peeps here just pay Ford to fix their stuff.

LOL :D

Back