Exhaust sizes? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust sizes?

Hi i am looking to buy a dynomax ULTRA FLO WELDED muffler.
Do you guy's think its a good muffler ?
the sound looks awsome and the price is even nicer.

If not tell me why and what would you buy ?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know about the Ultra Flow but I love my Dynomax Super Turbo. I'd imagine the Ultra Flo would be louder. I've had mine about a year so I can't say much for it's durability, but I'm satisfied with my first Dynomax so far.

Video on photobucket:
th_ExhaustClimb2.jpg

V8 exhaust

I was wondering if anybody knew what a direct muffler replacement would sound like. I don't want to have to re-pipe in front of or behind the muffler. Thinking magnaflow but idk what are your opinions

Don't know about the Ultra Flow but I love my Dynomax Super Turbo. I'd imagine the Ultra Flo would be louder. I've had mine about a year so I can't say much for it's durability, but I'm satisfied with my first Dynomax so far.

Video on photobucket:
th_ExhaustClimb2.jpg

im sold on this muffler,what did you need to do to get it on? did a shop do it or just swap the oem out?

A shop did it for $30. It was worth my time and money to just let them do it as I don't have access to a lift anymore and I will never clamp a muffler again, so getting under my truck and welding didn't sound fun. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow evening.

I have to warn you, though, this muffler is pretty quiet at idle. A little deeper at idle, but barely noticeable from the cab. When you get into the throttle, it's obvious it's not stock. You won't mistake it for a FM 40 series, though (which I think sounds like a struggling engine on the 4.0). I'll also try to get video of it at higher revs tomorrow.

Sorry, I didn't get it today. It was dark before I got off work. Hooray overtime. I didn't forget, though. I'll try tomorrow.

A shop did it for $30. It was worth my time and money to just let them do it as I don't have access to a lift anymore and I will never clamp a muffler again, so getting under my truck and welding didn't sound fun. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow evening.

I have to warn you, though, this muffler is pretty quiet at idle. A little deeper at idle, but barely noticeable from the cab. When you get into the throttle, it's obvious it's not stock. You won't mistake it for a FM 40 series, though (which I think sounds like a struggling engine on the 4.0). I'll also try to get video of it at higher revs tomorrow.

so thats on OE pipes? that sounds pretty dang good

i bought my muffler off amazon but i realized i got 2.5 inlet outlet one when the oe pipes are 2.25, the shop will still be able to work with that right?? i was just gonna get a 2.5 tailpipe installed with it but if thats how mine will sound with oe pipes i might just blow it off.

And here's inside the cab, windows down, going down my driveway. All that torque's just trying to rip up the hard packed dirt. :D

th_MVI_3346.jpg

im sold on this, gonna take the resonator off I think but that there sounds damn good, I just want it to sound like a fricken truck not a car but I dont wanna wake up the world when I come home at night or leave on a fire call at 3am

yup exactly what im gonna get done. although i did get the larger muffler instead. gonna get it installed saturday, ill let yall know how it goes

what are the pro's and cons of clamping a muffler, i figure I could do that myself and then just buy a piece of straight pipe and run it out the back, save on the shop costs.

I've clamped mufflers before. As a matter of fact, the ones on my '69 Cougar were clamped until a couple months ago. I say "were clamped" because when I backed it off the trailer, the clamps caught on the edge of the trailer and ripped both of them off the pipes. I saw it coming and didn't care. The full exhaust is getting replaced.

But that's one of the downsides. A good rock may rip it apart. Not a real big deal because you can just crawl back under there, reseal and clamp it back up.

Another down side is that I was never able to get a perfect seal. I used every product I could find to seal it, with muffler repair kits over top of that, then clamped...I just never got a perfect seal. Again, not a big problem, just something that I noticed on my Cougar. Probably had more to do with the rusty pipes I was using.

The good thing is that it is really easy. It also serves its purpose.

Really, though, it cost me $30 to have the shop weld it. If it was $30 for them to clamp it, I may have still considered letting them do it just to save me from having to break out the sawzall, sealing, and clamping underneath without a lift. I don't have a lift anymore or I would have welded it myself. It took less than a half hour and they did a solid job. I'm betting the shop costs are worth your time and effort for this project.

When I had my exhaust put on the guy installed the clamps sideways to keep that from happening.

Like this (O[

Doh! That would have been smart. Why did you have an exhaust guy clamp on mufflers though? Can he not weld? Or did you prefer clamps?

Actually, after looking at mine, there is still a clamp at the inlet of mine even though it's welded. Eh, I've never paid much attention to exhaust.

what are the pro's and cons of clamping a muffler, i figure I could do that myself and then just buy a piece of straight pipe and run it out the back, save on the shop costs.

Well. I kind of figured it would not be as good a seal and when I was sitting in deep mud or water, it would leak into my muffler so when I change my muffler I'm difinately getting it welded in place.

Well. I kind of figured it would not be as good a seal and when I was sitting in deep mud or water, it would leak into my muffler so when I change my muffler I'm difinately getting it welded in place.

never thought of that,this is why I love this forum. I always stick mine in mud or water and muddy water haha. maybe ill weld it myself my grandpa has a welder I could use

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doh! That would have been smart. Why did you have an exhaust guy clamp on mufflers though? Can he not weld? Or did you prefer clamps?

1. It's a Gibson cat-back and came with clamps.
2. It wasn't done by an exhaust guy, rather at my bud's transmission shop because he has a lift. I gave him a pair of $20's and some donuts and me and him had it done in a half-hour in the morning before he started on his regular stuff.

Back