clutch and flywheel replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clutch and flywheel replacement

A manual transmission is much easier to remove if you have a body lift, My explorer has a 3 inch body lift and I didn't have to remove the exhaust as you are able to lift the transmission up and over it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about sports, but it is possible to drop the trans without removing the exhaust on a 4 door.

Good write up. I am one of the unfortunate ones that does not have a car lift. I did this on the floor and thank goodness for my body lift as mentioned above. I had to remove my exhaust though. When installing it I had to remove my front wheels and lower the front end down on a 4x4 beam and muscle the tranny with the transfer case up and in. The next time I do the job I will be buying a tranny jack.

Not sure about sports, but it is possible to drop the trans without removing the exhaust on a 4 door.

I am assuming that this is with the body lift on the 4 door models?

Because I removed my exhaust to do the job.

Good write up. I am one of the unfortunate ones that does not have a car lift. I did this on the floor and thank goodness for my body lift as mentioned above. I had to remove my exhaust though. When installing it I had to remove my front wheels and lower the front end down on a 4x4 beam and muscle the tranny with the transfer case up and in. The next time I do the job I will be buying a tranny jack.

I know what you mean here. Had it not been for Ft. Campbell's self help auto shop for us to use I'd've been pretty miserable trying to do this in the driveway.

I am assuming that this is with the body lift on the 4 door models?

Because I removed my exhaust to do the job.

I know what you mean here. Had it not been for Ft. Campbell's self help auto shop for us to use I'd've been pretty miserable trying to do this in the driveway.

Nope no body lift, I was able to wiggle mine out in my drive way. used a ratchet strap to pull the exhaust towards the frame and some careful floor jack positioning and it came right out if I recall correctly. Getting it back did require an extra set of hands to rotate and position it correctly. Once again floor jack to position the motor just right really helped to get it stabbed. Bottom line with a helper and some creativity it shouldn't be a problem, and in my case much easier than removing 200k+ mile rusted exhaust bolts.

. Bottom line with a helper and some creativity it shouldn't be a problem, and in my case much easier than removing 200k+ mile rusted exhaust bolts.

LOL my clutch "died" at 200,816... and being a NC truck, rusty exhaust wasn't an issue.

I can't imaging trying to do this on a northern vehicle.

just did the clutch an flywheel an replaced the whole thing.. now when i tryed shifting for the 1st time, 1st and 2nd dont go in, but the other gears do... an there recognized right i need help
please

just did the clutch an flywheel an replaced the whole thing.. now when i tryed shifting for the 1st time, 1st and 2nd dont go in, but the other gears do... an there recognized right i need help
please

Did you replace the slave cylinder? If so what brand, and did you bleed it?

Im waiting on my new fly wheel to show up. How do you put the ring gear on it?

For those of you who buy a new flywheel and it didn't come with the sleeve to for the pilot bearing, I have found it out.

It's Ford Part # F5TZ6K389AA

It took me a couple weeks of scrounging sites and forums, finding mislabeled websites when ordering, and finally a diagram with it. $10 part plus shipping is what it cost me. Worth it to me instead of going to a junk yard to drop a transmission just for the sleeve.

Anybody have any idea what the size of the nut and bolt are on the exhaust crossover pipe? Can't get mine off so I have to cut them and want to know what to look for before I do it.

Anybody have any idea what the size of the nut and bolt are on the exhaust crossover pipe? Can't get mine off so I have to cut them and want to know what to look for before I do it.

1/2 / 13mm or 9/16 / 14mm I can't quite recall at the moment.

Anybody knows what happens "if" the Pilot bearing is installed backwards?

I may or may not have done this. I can't tell a difference in which is which direction. LOL!

I cheated, then again I always wondered what it did, so I asked google .

The pilot bearing/bushingsupports and centers the transmission input shaft and clutch disc. When the clutch is disengaged, the pilot bearing/bushing allows the flywheel to maintain engine RPM while the input shaft is slowing down and stopping.

I cheated, then again I always wondered what it did, so I asked google .

The pilot bearing/bushingsupports and centers the transmission input shaft and clutch disc. When the clutch is disengaged, the pilot bearing/bushing allows the flywheel to maintain engine RPM while the input shaft is slowing down and stopping.

That's it's purpose, but I am wondering what happens if it is in backwards. Mine looks the same on either orientation to me. Everything I have read says to make sure it goes back in the same way as removed, but I haven't read why, or what happens if installed backwards.

I am having a hard time stabbing the trans back in, and wondering if the pilot bearing is in backwards, and stopping the shaft from going in. More then likely, it works, and I am just having a hard time getting it lined up straight by myself laying on the driveway.

That's it's purpose, but I am wondering what happens if it is in backwards. Mine looks the same on either orientation to me. Everything I have read says to make sure it goes back in the same way as removed, but I haven't read why, or what happens if installed backwards.

I am having a hard time stabbing the trans back in, and wondering if the pilot bearing is in backwards, and stopping the shaft from going in. More then likely, it works, and I am just having a hard time getting it lined up straight by myself laying on the driveway.
The last transmission I was a part of that gave us hell was a 97 Firebird. That was a combination of wrong clutch and a bent input shaft, and a few other issues. There was several different sets of eyes on it and it still gave us grief. This was in February this year.

In May 2016 I played hell with my Z71 manual transmission, that was a binding issue and a wiring harness that dropped in the way.

Back