2006 Explorer Console Disassembly Procedure | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Console Disassembly Procedure

Thanks for the reply, I am not going iPod route as I have a Motorola Droid and an iPod so I need to go headset jack. Yes this is the CD changer so space could be an issue, but thanks for your location suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my adapter installed, GREAT INSTRUCTIONS/PHOTOS!!

- but what a pain trying to get the headunit and the additional wiring harness back in... that takes the most amount of time!

I just installed a Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD in the dash of my 2006 Explorer XLT. One thing that helped me get the dash out was taking off the bottom panels next to the drivers pedals. I was able to get better leverage on the dash panel and pop it off. I had lots of fun trying to find screws that I accidentally dropped down to the bottom of the shifter. I used the Metra Install kit from Best Buy and a Scosche wiring harness. When I pulled the old radio out, it had the wiring harness and a second smaller harness. I don't have the Audiophile stereo nor do I have a sub woofer. I have no idea what the smaller plug was for.

Hi -- getting ready to replace standard stereo with factory nav unit.

Question, why do I need to disassemble the console to get the wood trim off around the radio?

Just trying to understand this before I do it.

Thanks.

-Pat

You need to pop off the center consol to get under the center bezel so you can pry it up. Once it pops off, I shift the car into 1st and pull it off and move it to the passenger side. It is very easy.

Thanks for the reply.

Also, I will be installing a used factory nav unit in place of the standard stereo in there now.

Few questions:
1. Is the existing Sirius module somewhere behind the radio now and just needs to be connected to the nav unit somehow ?

2. I heard that I need to find some VSS lead for the Nav to work, and it is not part of the existing wiring harness? If that is true, how do I do this?

Thanks much in advance.

-Pat

Pac install tips:
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Blue/Red
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/Blue
http://www.modifiedlife.com/2006-ford-explorer-car-stereo-wiring-diagram/
Getting radio to fit without screaming and jamming radio into dash. Don't install PAC unit behind radio, route the PAC wire to the back and to the left out the radio sleeve towards the drivers footwell. Then wire the PAC from underneath the drivers side. Best way!

I am thinking of getting the Avh-p3200dvd for my 2006 XLT. Are you still pleased with it? Did you get a back up camera for it? Do you have any pictures?

I love the AVH-P32000DVD and I am planning on getting a backup camera on ebay in the Spring. I listen mostly to music on my SD card. Make sure you lookup on youtube for the relay switch so you can watch DVD's while driving...errr have the DVD playing while driving.

Is it possible for someone to update the pictures? Thanks Just got an 06 and looking to add some iPod functionality to it. Awesome site btw!

Just another picture!

6939488asq.jpg

Do any of these adapters allow you to keep the cd changer functioning? I can't understand why the AUX button is there with no jack?.

Do any of these adapters allow you to keep the cd changer functioning? I can't understand why the AUX button is there with no jack?.

My aux input is on the side of the factory DVD screen. A set of rca inputs.

If I replace my factory stereo in my 06 Limited, I'm assuming I will lose my factory sub, but will I lose anything else (info center, etc.)?

There are two wiring harness/interface's you can use to keep factory sub, retained accessory power, etc.

Scosche FDSR
or
PAC C2R-FRD1

From what I can tell, they are the same thing, just different names.

I have purchased the FDSR myself, and I am trying to figure out how it makes the factory sub work. I was hoping somebody here could explain that to me.

This is the link to the wiring for the FDSR: http://www.scosche.com/ecom/download/FDSR.pdf

Do I need to just plug the subwoofer RCA's, that are coming off the FDSR, into the aftermarket head unit??

The FDSR's instructions say that it provides a 5 volt regulated amp turn on for factory subwoofer....I just am not sure where that comes from.

Any help would be appreciated.

>>>>>EDIT<<<<<<

I have discovered the answer, for anybody else who may be severely over thinking this....like myself.
The 12 volt amp turn on from the aftermarket head unit (blue/white wire for my pioneer) connects to the blue/white amp turn on wire coming from the FDSR harness. The FDSR interface then converts the 12 volt signal to a constant 5 volt signal and sends it out to the amp/sub via the purple/green subwoofer RCA's coming off the FDSR harness.

Hi! I have the 2006 Explorer Limited also...Just wondering will the Pioneer model AVH-P3300BT fit into my Vehicle? According to Best Buy, it should fit. Will I lose my volume / radio controls on the steering wheel? Will the DVD console for the back still play videos? Thank You in advance for your answers and comments.

Hi! I have the 2006 Explorer Limited also...Just wondering will the Pioneer model AVH-P3300BT fit into my Vehicle? According to Best Buy, it should fit. Will I lose my volume / radio controls on the steering wheel? Will the DVD console for the back still play videos? Thank You in advance for your answers and comments.

To keep steering wheel controls, you'll need this

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=210&CategoryID=29

or this

http://www.metraonline.com/part/ASWC

To keep the rest of it, you'll need one of these two....

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/1686

or this

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=280&CategoryID=26

You can get any of those for way cheaper on ebay or amazon. I got the FDSR and PAC SWI-PS for my 2006, and I'll be installing it all the next warm day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fonicsmonkey,
Thank you for the info...I plan on having someone professional install my system....I could do the install...But time is a factor and the NJ weather also...I also noticed a newly released Pioneer system I have my eye on...The Pioneer Double-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver - AVH-P3400BH...I looked it up on the Pioneer site and it will fit the Explorer Limited...Again, Thank you for the valuable information...

Best,

Clubbsoda

Back