Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB

doney67

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT 4WD
Is there a TSB for hard shifting?

It's probably been posted here before or not, but here it goes I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with about 16k miles every once in awhile i get a hard shift from not sure which gear it comming from but it happens when im slowing down and when i accelerate i get that bump in the transmission it doesnt happen often but when it does its a lound "clank" sound when it goes to gear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably been posted here before or not, but here it goes I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with about 16k miles every once in awhile i get a hard shift from not sure which gear it comming from but it happens when im slowing down and when i accelerate i get that bump in the transmission it doesnt happen often but when it does its a lound "clank" sound when it goes to gear.
There have been posts regarding several problems with transmissions. I did a search on TSB and found the following in a thread entitled Transmission Problems?

I had this issue. I referenced a TSB related to this issue when I went in and was able to get my car fixed, even though they were not able to reproduce the condition while I was there. From what my service guy said there is a check valve in the transmission that randomly sticks and causes it to slam into gear. After the fix I haven't had any problems with the transmission.

Here's the TSB:

2011 Ford Explorer Power Train Service Bulletin 286479

NHTSA: Action Number: 10039121 Service Bulletin Number: 286479
Report Date:
May 10, 2011Component:
Power Train
Summary: Ford: there may be a sluggish acceleration or hesitation feeling when rolling to a stop. This will be followed by a harsh bump. *rm

Not sure if that comes close to what you are experiencing.

Peter

...I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with about 16k miles every once in awhile i get a hard shift from not sure which gear it comming from but it happens when im slowing down and when i accelerate i get that bump in the transmission...
doney67,

I’m available to help with your concern by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can lend a hand, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Peter that is what exactly what im getting thanks for the info!

Had this TSB addressed this week. Here are the part numbers taken from my receipt:

FMC BT4Z 7Z490 B
Plate & Gasket Asy
$4.41

FMC 7T4Z 7Z490 D
Plate & Gasket Asy
$17.61

FMC XT 10 QLVC
Oil- Automatic Tran.
6 units at $7.31/unit
$43.86

Operation
111210A
3.0 units
$318.75

Total
$384.63

Covered by warranty.

Trans seems better. Much better? Not sure yet. Let's see how this goes.

Thanks for the information.
I probably need to get this done since my wife is reporting that the trans is getting an occasional "bump" after coasting and re-accelerating. My fear is the dealership will state the usual: "if we can't reproduce the issue, we can't fix it".
Was this your case? what the bump recurrent enough for the dealership to "verify"

Thanks for the information.
I probably need to get this done since my wife is reporting that the trans is getting an occasional "bump" after coasting and re-accelerating. My fear is the dealership will state the usual: "if we can't reproduce the issue, we can't fix it".
Was this your case? what the bump recurrent enough for the dealership to "verify"

Not an issue. I don't think they "varified". Dealerships LOVE warranty work. They get paid. Next.

I'd not experienced this until last week, but have now had it happen twice. Will have to monitor and see if it gets worse.

I'd not experienced this until last week, but have now had it happen twice. Will have to monitor and see if it gets worse.

the problem with this is that it keeps happening to more people and i dont know why. the tsb addresses this up until the 4/11 production date. i have @ 2012 explorer with a 9/11 manufacturer date so they wont perform the fix.

what sucks even more is that the description for this tsb is exactly what's happening to me!

Someone in the manufacturing process is definitely trolling. Think there might be a GM worker trying to sabotage these Fords. Either that or Ford just doesn't learn about the issues people are having.

I've had the transmission bump 3 times over the course of one year. Two times where the transmission literally slams into gear and donkey kicks everybody in the car. Tried to get them to reproduce it but they refuse to fix it so I'm just going to wait until my transmission basically falls off or something and they have to give me a new tranny. I hope they like to do that instead.

Happens to me after coasting when I apply light pressure to accelerate, the "knock" can be felt and heard. I was starting to think it was a driveshaft issue. I'm gonna get this looked into. My truck is a 2012 Explorer Limited 4x4.

Hey guys,

I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t already, send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Hey guys,

I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t already, send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Cory,
I have already gone the CSM route with this issue and received the expected cannot duplicate response. My CSM says she has deferred to the dealership mechanic's expertese. She says I can continue to monitor and bring it back if/when it happens again. Since my Explorer is a 2012 like the other folks here it is not covered by the 2011 TSB, although it sounds like the same problem.

Respectfully,
xplanfan

Cory,
I have already gone the CSM route with this issue and received the expected cannot duplicate response. My CSM says she has deferred to the dealership mechanic's expertese. She says I can continue to monitor and bring it back if/when it happens again. Since my Explorer is a 2012 like the other folks here it is not covered by the 2011 TSB, although it sounds like the same problem.

Respectfully,
xplanfan

aaarrgh! This kills me to read this because you and I are in the same boat!!!!!!:mad:

aaarrgh! This kills me to read this because you and I are in the same boat!!!!!!:mad:

It is frustrating. It seems to me since Ford identified the problem and a TSB fix for the 2011 Explorer then our 2012's should have had this fix in their baseline configuration. So, either we did not get the fix, we got the fix but it was not a complete fix, or our problem is actually a different problem with similar symptoms to the 2011 TSB problem. Unfortunately, it appears the only way we can help to get a fix is to keep complaining about it.

Cory,
I have already gone the CSM route with this issue and received the expected cannot duplicate response. My CSM says she has deferred to the dealership mechanic's expertese. She says I can continue to monitor and bring it back if/when it happens again...
xplanfan & mtz,

I still have your Explorer’s info so please don’t hesitate to send a PM if you’d like me to forward any details.

Cory

I have felt this bump a few times, i was wondering if it had to do with the fact the front wheel drive with the motor sideways in the engine. I will have to pay attention more

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have felt this bump a few times, i was wondering if it had to do with the fact the front wheel drive with the motor sideways in the engine. I will have to pay attention more

Since cars have used the transverse engine layout for decades I can't imagine this bump would be related. I have felt a milder version of a bump during shifts, but to be clear about the bump we are referring too here is more like a transmission slip followed by a lockup or "bang". Thankfully this has only happened three times to my truck or I would not drive it. Ironically, I almost wish it would just break or at least be repeatable so I could tell Ford "there's the problem now fix it".

Back