2 door rust repair panels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 door rust repair panels

Okay, you 4 door guys seems to have it good for replacement panels. Is there anyone who stamps out rust repair panels for the 2 door?

I'm looking for lower quarter sections (i.e. rocker) behind the door and in front of the rear wheels for a 2 door.

Thanks
Brett

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately, I don't think they are available. For some reason, you have to buy the full quarter panels to do the sport doglegs...:rolleyes:. I searched all over the place when I wanted to do mine and never found them. I ended up doing my repair with a combination of sheet metal and fiberglass cloth.

That's what I'm finding out. I've looked all over for a nice set of used ones that I could cut off of a truck.

I'm actually looking at buying the 4 door dog leg section and sectioning in what I need to repair the rust. Has anyone tried this approach?

Thanks,
Brett

That's what I'm finding out. I've looked all over for a nice set of used ones that I could cut off of a truck.

I'm actually looking at buying the 4 door dog leg section and sectioning in what I need to repair the rust. Has anyone tried this approach?

Thanks,
Brett

They are significantly different. The 4 door rear door encroaches on the wheel well whereas the 2 door does not. You wouldn't be able to use much of it...

So are there any updates to this? I need to replace both doglegs and rocker panels on my 01 sport.

As time goes on, it is much less likely anybody is going to produce 2door dog legs. I have given up all hope and am waiting to get the energy to do the passenger side of mine with a rocker panel, sheet metal, wlder, and some fiberglass and coat everything with Ashphalt undercoating

I have a really low mileage 2001 mountaineer and despite this it is still a 12 yr old truck now. The rear bumper and rear wheel wells have just started to rust through. I was wondering for the future what to do to fix this? I know that there are a few options such as cutting out the area once it gets worse. and fit a new piece of steel there and bondo it all up or just grind off the rust down to the original metal and just bondo tht afterwards?

replacement done properly is and always will be the best course of action.

Otherwise rust never sleeps.

Every one that has this problem needs to come visit Texas. Ill take yall to the Junk yard where we have tons of 2dr explorers with no rust on the rockers.. Just gotta bring a sawzall and about $40 bucks

Oh Man, Austin is Heaven and now you say it is Explorer Sport Junkyard Haven too!

Yeah the junk yard here has a lot of clean rust free explorers. Its quite nice. :)

Every one that has this problem needs to come visit Texas. Ill take yall to the Junk yard where we have tons of 2dr explorers with no rust on the rockers.. Just gotta bring a sawzall and about $40 bucks

Hey Kris,
If you feel up to it, could you cut a pair of 2 door rockers off one in the yard for me? I'll definately pay you for your time, shipping, and parts.

Brett

you would need to show me where on the truck i would need to cut. If I can do it, I will

Hey Kris,
If you feel up to it, could you cut a pair of 2 door rockers off one in the yard for me? I'll definately pay you for your time, shipping, and parts.

Brett

Cut it about 12" in front of the factory seam in the rocker, through the floor, and about 12" up the wheel house.

Thanks
Brett

This is truly the most frustrating problem out here from the sounds of things and it is truly weird that no one wants to stock these prestamped replacement panels because all ford explorer owners know that those driver side rear quarters are gonna go and the rockers go too because those plastic beauty strips hold all the road slop that we here in Pennsylvania are so privileged as to have to run our poor trucks in all winter long. Well I guess it will be off to the local sheet metal/fab shop to see if I can find me some metal to cut and mold to suit myself...my poor 99 sport is dying and in need of major help. I found rocker panels real cheap at rockauto.com for it, but there's nothing else out there.

I'm unable to travel for parts. Is there any way to make arrangements to get both right n left quarters for my 01 sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the same problem on a 94 Sport from Kentucky. Rusted low from rockers to front quarters. No luck finding anything but rockers.

Back