Seriously getting ready for an Expedition.. | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seriously getting ready for an Expedition..

I may have missed it while perusing 17 whole pages of all of this neat stuff; but one thing I didn't notice mentioned yet is something to take care of the one thing you really do truly need during a expedition if things go wrong - even before food, or first aid, or tools, or etc.

This will always be in my trailkit. And it works fabulously.

http://www.rei.com/product/786393/sawyer-complete-water-filter-system-2-liter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...That's what this thread is for..Sharing all this good information..:biggthump

..I have been keeping my eye open for the military water purification systems but they go so darn fast..:shifty_ey

..Keep them coming..

Well, since you guys are letting us add stuff here.....

I just decided to set up our newest tent we picked up at Sams Club a while back for this springs meet in MO.

It's a little smaller than the one we already have, but for the ease of setting up, and the solid top, it's a nice trade off. Rain fly's are a PITA to me. They are hard to use in high winds, do not allow to heat the tent, and in a hard downpour, they leak and let water accumulate in a sag.

14'L x 9'W x 6'4"H - 8 man tent - optional 2nd room - Solid canvas top - thick tarp flooring - shelving storage - large windows on all sides - sturdy center hanger for lanterns, fans, etc...

0081742701000_A?wid=206&hei=200&op_sharpen=1.jpg

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5250206

Out of the packaging box, out of the bag, set up completely, torn down, packed back in the storage bag by myself in less than 10 minutes. :thumbsup:

HD Storage bag has cinch straps with locking clips, strong handles, and a dual zipper that opens one end completely for ease of inserting tent. Storage bag is smaller than most due to the tents telescoping poles, which is a major plus for packing.

...have been keeping my eye open for the military water purification systems but they go so darn fast...

I don't know what the military ones are like, but can testify that this thing is great. No pumping or anything, and it filters water really fast.

..I'll definitely give it a look for sure before I purchase one..Positive feedback and ease of purchase is always a plus too..:biggthump

Fuel and Water containers..

..For all those looking for Fuel and Water cans, these are the latest and greatest things to hit the market..I saw these popping up all over King of the Hammers this year..

..The product line is called RotopaX, made here in the States (Utah), shipped Internationally, and their site and info can be found here..;)
http://www.rotopax.com

..They are also EPA and CARB compliant...

RotopaX ARE THE ONLY EPA AND CARB COMPLIANT FUEL CONTAINERS AVAILABE FOR SALE IN THE UNITED STATES! THIS IS THANKS TO A PATENTED THREE LAYER ROTO-MOLDING PROCESS, ALONG WITH SPECIALLY FORMULATED PLASTIC BARRIER MATERIAL TO MEET THE GOVERNMENTS NEW EXTREMLY LOW PERMABILITY REQUIREMENTS.

..These videos are not from their site but they do explain their products and I like this girls accent plus, it will give our Aussie friends a place to find them too..:biggthump

Fuel and Water containers..

..Their mounting hardware..

I've seen these, there pretty cool. They also make first aid kits and general storage ones. I've been thinking of something like these now that I have this big empty storage space in between the back seat and my storage boxes.

I was checking them out at KOH and TDS when ORW (enough acronyms?:p:) had their tent set up with merchandise. Although kinda pricey they are nice and compact. I did notice a jeep had a couple of the red gas containers and the color had faded pretty good. Typical of anything red I suppose.

..That's right it was ORW, the "High Dollar Tent"..:rolleyes:

..:shifty_ey ..I've been talking back and forth with their Manuf. (Great Outdoor Products) and with RotopaX trying to find who has these in stock instead of retail places you have to order them from.

..Rebel Off Road has them..
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=rotopax

...but I didn't know it till now but, 4wheelparts has them too..You might have to check their inventory and they may only have them in the national warehouse in Carson.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/parts/ma...aspx?ptid=11104&mid=ROT&subCat=188&kw=rotopax

..Now I'm trying to find out who has what for pick up and at the cheapest price..:scratch:..Rebel has discounts on different offroad forums and will beat other prices, so far...;)

..Just got back from the "Moab to Monument Valley" trip and myself and hopefully the others will share their yay's and nay's reviews on items we were using in the back country..:popcorn:

Everything I brought along worked great for 7 days in the backcountry-

Cabellas Fold-a-privy Privacy Shelter - I only used it for showering this trip and it had plenty of room. It set up fast and folded back down fast. I only had it up in a slight breeze and it did fine. Next trip I will add a couple of clothes pins inside the carry bag to secure the towel and clothes. I didn't have a problem but I could see the potential for the towel falling off the towel rack/line attached to the side of the shelter

My Homemade shower and shower mat - worked great and it was so refreshing to get a shower. The mat kept the dirt off my feet and the shower had enough pressure to rinse off the soap. No improvements planned.

My Tarp Awning - I only set it up 2 or 3 times during the trip and it worked well. The HF glow in the dark line worked well as a rope. I didn't leave the awning up at night to really test the glow properties but the lines were more visible than regular rope around dusk.

Trasharoo- this was my first trip with the trasharoo and I am glad I had it. It kept the propane bottles and trash bags out of the cabin the entire trip. It did settle a little so I will need to adjust the straps again. I drove all the way home with it on the back of my tire with no issues. It did get a really small hole rubbed in the backside of it though.

..A couple things I want to add to your input, on your items..:D

..First, get a hold of Dave at Trasharoo ASAP about that hole worn into your bag on the first trip..I'm sure he will be interested in this problem and if I can help on anything let me know..;)

..as for the glow in the dark line..It did glow bit but there were a couple things I liked about it...The visibility was definitely a lot better than standard white line and it appeared to stay cleaner in the dark soil..:biggthump

Re: Moab trip w/TBars and Brian1 and the rest of the group. What worked/or not.

All of my kit worked as I expected, although the desert wind that came up at night when I had my awning up...... well I won't do that again, had to get up and take it down what a PITA. Not so much a work or not work but I did pick up a small inverter for my cameras battery at a truck stop on the way home. I must say that my Edgestar 43 qt. fridge worked like a charm even tho I un pluged it each night as I run only one battery and wanted to avoid starting issues next day. It remained more than cold enough. I would like to see about cold retention on a real hot night tho when unpluged, will see this summer. Still working on dust proofing the topper, however I do have a new plan to try. mjmcdowell

All of my kit worked as I expected, although the desert wind that came up at night when I had my awning up...... well I won't do that again, had to get up and take it down what a PITA. Not so much a work or not work but I did pick up a small inverter for my cameras battery at a truck stop on the way home. I must say that my Edgestar 43 qt. fridge worked like a charm even tho I un pluged it each night as I run only one battery and wanted to avoid starting issues next day. It remained more than cold enough. I would like to see about cold retention on a real hot night tho when unpluged, will see this summer. Still working on dust proofing the topper, however I do have a new plan to try. mjmcdowell

Good luck with that!!!!

..Update on the Rotopax..It is now commonly sold with all it's accessories at 4 wheel parts..;)

..Another item which I don't believe has been covered yet is shoes...

..Whether you plan on doing some hiking during your trip, you are getting out of your vehicle to evaluate the terrain, or there is an emergency that gets you out of your vehicle in the back country, what is on your feet can play a very important part on your trip..

..Having tennis shoes on will not make for a pleasant experience...You need a shoe that first of all has traction for rocks and steep slick hills, not counting you want them to breath and also be comfortable in desert heat or in wet winter conditions..

..You don't have to go out and get a $100 pair of hiking boots..I commonly find them around the $20 range and this pair was $24 bucks..Well worth the price..:biggthump

0629121047.jpg

New Cook Station

Seeing as I end up cooking for more than just me on these expeditions, cooking on multiple single burner backpacking stoves has some limitations.

So, I acquired a 2-burner stove. I wanted to stay with white gas, to match most of my other appliances, but the propane stoves are a little smaller (thinner) and burn hotter (aside from the convenience factor.)

I need to get a Lodge griddle, then I will be able to cook more than one pancake at a time!

Attachments

• Stove.JPG
    Stove.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 531

..:scratch:..I don't know why you don't just use that big 'ol Weber there in the background...:p:

..It's that time of year to score some deals and camping and expedition items..:popcorn:

..I happened upon these 2 packs at a $1 store..They are hard enough to find and when you do they are usually the 10' wraps..

..These are the 2.5' super glue e-z fuse tape P/N 15410

..:scratch:..$2 bucks?..What the heck...:D

IMG_20120916_165133.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I decided to build in my fridge as a remodel to the "X"..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369695

..And while I'm in the middle of the fridge build I happened across a deal I couldn't pass up and this is something I've been wanting for a while..An offroad GPS..

..This is the Lowrance Baja 540c GPS..(sellers pics)
540c_1.jpg

540c_2.jpg

Back