• Register Today It's free!

Error Messages

Loren R

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV and volunteer at: GRSM, GRCA, ZION, GRTE and YOSE
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Sport Trac Limited V8
On a somewhat regular basis, I get an error message that my RR Turn Light is out. It's not. I turn off the key, re-start the engine and suddenly my LR Turn Light is out. (It's not either). I re-start again and its back to RR Turn Light out. After a couple of tries, the problem clears and works normally for a week or two then it happens again.

My rig is wired for towing behind my motorhome, and I installed diodes to run the lights from the motorhome. I've checked the wiring, and everything is clean and connected properly.

Any suggestions on what else I might check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not an electrical engineer and I do not fully understand electrical circuit concepts but I do have a very very rudimentary understanding of the concept of an electrical circuit. I agree that if you faithfully followed the instructions for adding to your rear light circuits then you should not have a problem. The questions that come to mind are:
1) Did the circuit modification instructions come from a reputable source (no offense intended if you are an electrical engineer)?
2) Is it possible you overheated an electrical component during the soldering process which may produce the faults in the circuit test (again no offense intended if you are an experienced electrical engineer or technician)?
3) Do the lights work correctly even when the error is displayed?

Was there a problem with the error codes prior to the rewire?

I am not an electrical engineer and I do not fully understand electrical circuit concepts but I do have a very very rudimentary understanding of the concept of an electrical circuit. I agree that if you faithfully followed the instructions for adding to your rear light circuits then you should not have a problem. The questions that come to mind are:
1) Did the circuit modification instructions come from a reputable source (no offense intended if you are an electrical engineer)?
2) Is it possible you overheated an electrical component during the soldering process which may produce the faults in the circuit test (again no offense intended if you are an experienced electrical engineer or technician)?
3) Do the lights work correctly even when the error is displayed?

Thanks for the input Tico... Yes, the installation instructions come from Roadmaster, maker of towing accessories, and I've done two other vehicles prior to this one. There is no soldering, just crimp connectors to install diodes. The diodes prevent backfeed to the vehicle system so both lighthing systems are seperate and stand-alone. I protected the connectors from corrosion with Tel-Co sealant, which prevents any moisture from getting to them. And, Yes, the lights work during the error messages, but they blink at a fast rate. The Sport Trac's don't have turn signal flashers, the power junction box controls everything. There is a little speaker in the dash that makes the "clicking" sound a flasher unit would make if there was one installed. So when the computer thinks a light is out, it makes the flasher sound faster, like a real flasher unit would if a bulb was burned out. But, because the bulbs are not burned out, they just blink real fast.

I don't know if the problem existed before I installed the lighting system, as I bought it used and installed the lighting system in the first week I owned it. I bought the ST while I was on the road, so I had to ready it for towing immediately. This is the third time this has happened in the last year. It only happens for one day when it appears, but it just drives me crazy because I can't see any reason for it to be happening.

I guess it's just one of those things we have to expect with computer boxes in vehicles.

Thanks for the input. Loren

Was there a problem with the error codes prior to the rewire?

I've had no other electrical problems at all, never had a problem with the message center either. I checked the OBD connection and found no error codes in the computer. It's just the turn signal message, goes from RR to LR and back to RR again. Then it just goes away the next time I start the engine. I've searched for answers on several different forums and Ford sites, but never found anything like this mentioned anywhere else.

Did I miss this Loren or is it just a message error or are the corresponding lamps really out?

You have mail also.

Hey Steve, got your mail. I'll let you know what I find.
Yes, the lights still function but they blink fast, not normally. That's why I'm trying to figure out what's happening. Seems to me that there must be something electrical causing the problem, but everything I've checked seems fine.

Gremlins.

Yes, the lights still function but they blink fast, not normally. That's why I'm trying to figure out what's happening. Seems to me that there must be something electrical causing the problem, but everything I've checked seems fine.
Try changing the light bulb first, they can short out. After that try changing the flasher and the RR socket. Those are all things that I've seen make the light blink fast.

Try changing the light bulb first, they can short out. After that try changing the flasher and the RR socket. Those are all things that I've seen make the light blink fast.

Well, see, that's kind of the problem with the Sport Tracs... There is NO flasher. Its just the smart junction box hooked to a little speaker that makes the flasher noise, so you can't just change something that isn't there.

The bulbs are fine, and the sockets are clean and tight. I'm reading some information on the SJB now that might give me a clue, hopefully I'll find something there. This only happens about every 3-4 months or so, and only happens in the order I explained. Just phantom error messages for a problem that doesn't exist, then they just go away all by themselves. I was thinking it might be related to the diodes I installed for the tow package, but if one of the diodes had failed, the lights wouldn't work on one side or the other. Both sides of all the diodes are working perfectly. Just trying to identify the gremlin....

I had wondered if anyone else had suffered this problem, as most problems on this forum have usually happened to multiple people. Apparently I've discovered a problem that is unique to me alone, so my thinking is that it must be caused by something I've done. (dammit)

Well, see, that's kind of the problem with the Sport Tracs... There is NO flasher. Its just the smart junction box hooked to a little speaker that makes the flasher noise, so you can't just change something that isn't there.

The bulbs are fine, and the sockets are clean and tight. I'm reading some information on the SJB now that might give me a clue, hopefully I'll find something there. This only happens about every 3-4 months or so, and only happens in the order I explained. Just phantom error messages for a problem that doesn't exist, then they just go away all by themselves. I was thinking it might be related to the diodes I installed for the tow package, but if one of the diodes had failed, the lights wouldn't work on one side or the other. Both sides of all the diodes are working perfectly. Just trying to identify the gremlin....

I had wondered if anyone else had suffered this problem, as most problems on this forum have usually happened to multiple people. Apparently I've discovered a problem that is unique to me alone, so my thinking is that it must be caused by something I've done. (dammit)

A couple days after reading your post, I got the same message... Check LR Turn Signal... bought two bulbs at Wal-Mart for $5.00 Put the LR bilb in... worked great. Went for a drive and got a new message "Check RR Turn Signal"... Went home and installed the second bulb. Works properly now, but I'm hoping these so-called phantom messages do not reappear.

The bulbs could appear to be fine but that type of warning message is triggered by resistance readings so a bulb that is on its way out could trigger the code. Not had this issue on my STA but experienced something similar on an MGB GT I owned back in blighty - no computer of course but my flasher relay kept getting mad at me until I replaced a seemingly good bulb with a new one. It's a cheap fix if it works & either way it eliminates one of the suspects. After that you need to move on to your crimp connectors - these things are notorious for causing electrical gremlins......it would be worthwhile to solder those joints and cover the join with liquid rubber to insulate.
If all else fails it could be the SJB has a solder point that's drying out & causing an internal issue.

As always with electrical issues start with the cheap & easy options, if nothing else to eliminate them from suspicion. Good luck :)

IDK about these Gen2's but that is a common Gen1 problem from wiring being pulled loose from the MFS connectors due to tilting the wheel up and down.

Back