Ceramic vs. Semi-Metallic Brake Pads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ceramic vs. Semi-Metallic Brake Pads

hoffz31

Reaction score
City, State
Glenville, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have 2005 Explorer Limited V8 4wd. It needs new pads and rotors all the way around. I was wondering what brand of brake pads and rotors people are using. My main concern is noise and stopping power. I will be doing some light towing (top soil in a utility trailer) with it in the future. I was leaning towards Hawk LTS pads and Centric Plain 120 Series rotors from the Tire Rack.

Any feedback is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have 2005 Explorer Limited V8 4wd. It needs new pads and rotors all the way around. I was wondering what brand of brake pads and rotors people are using. My main concern is noise and stopping power. I will be doing some light towing (top soil in a utility trailer) with it in the future. I was leaning towards Hawk LTS pads and Centric Plain 120 Series rotors from the Tire Rack.

Any feedback is appreciated
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From what I know and was told about ceramic pads is that they wear down your rotors faster because they are a harder pad than semi-metallic's. The ceramic material is harder. They are suppose to be a quieter pad and I am currently running them on the front of the vehicle. Wagner Thermo-Quiet. I've got a little over a year on them and around 6,500 miles so we'll see how long they last. Bought them by accident thinking the parts guy was giving me the Wagner semi-metallics, but I kept them anyhow. No problems with braking. Not crazy about the pad thickeness on them, semi metallics appear to be a thicker pad out of the box. I have also had good luck with Advance Auto Parts "Wearever Gold" semi metallic brake pads and they didn't make any unwanted brake noise. I usually buy the Wearever Rotors as well, but I may go Wagner rotors on the front when my current ones wear out. I guess it comes down to how much you want to pay for brake pads and rotors. Not familiar with the Tire Rack brands you mentioned here.

Thanks,

The Wagner Thermo-Quiet are ceramic pads then? The Thermo-Quiet are about $15 more than the Wear-Ever Platinum Ceramic Pads. My local mechanic is using the Wear-Ever pads and rotors. I am not sure if he is using the gold or Platinum ones.

Thanks,

The Wagner Thermo-Quiet are ceramic pads then? >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, the ones I bought were called that. Don't know if they make a Wagner Themo Quiet semi-metallic pad using the same name.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Thermo-Quiet are about $15 more than the Wear-Ever Platinum Ceramic Pads. My local mechanic is using the Wear-Ever pads and rotors. I am not sure if he is using the gold or Platinum ones.>>>>>>>>>>>

If you buy them from Advance Auto Parts, you can use online coupons for their store and you can get them from www.couponcabin.com. Just type in Advance Auto Parts into the search bar there and it will pull up the online coupons to use at their web site. Will even connect you to the Advance web site. If you are buying pads and rotors, you should be able to use the $40 off coupon on an order over a $100, which new pads and rotors will cost more than that. You can also use the coupon code on multiple orders, so if you have $200+ worth of parts to order, split the order into 2 seperate $100 or over orders and get $40 off each order. Decent discount though than paying store price. You apply the coupon code when ordering through the Advance web site and you'll see the discount during the checkout process. If you order from there, make sure you print up a copy of the online order and bring it with you to the store when you pick up the parts. You can order them online and select to pick them up yourself at the nearest Advance store location to you. The web site will also tell you if the parts are in stock at that particular store. BTW, I wasn't aware the Wearever brand now has a "Platinum" version, just knew they had the "Gold or Silver" quality rating.

I also have a heep at 16yr 190k mi. i put Wagner Thermo-Quiets and some super cheap rotors to keep costs down; they actually stop very well, great pedal feel, no fade, no dust for $80. This isn't driven very much so i no idea on how long they will last. If i had done the rears to it would have been about $200 total.

For the Ex at about 25k miles ago I went all out, researched it the heck out of it. So i bought top line Ceramic pads @4 for $160, rotors cost about $200 for 4, rear parking shoes where another $30, more or less cost $400 in parts. Pedal is softer, no fade, no dust, and still have more than 50% left.

For all $200 or so difference both work well but the heep stops better, go figure? There is a lot of Marketing out there. . . :dunno:

It's your choice. Ceramics have less dusting on your wheels and usually have a shim on the pad since it's a premium pad (less noise) I have ceramics on mine and they work just fine. They don't wear down your rotors any faster than a semi metallic. A heavy braking foot does this.

Back