Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 173 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

Hey, Rick. Found your build thread a loooonnggg time ago on BroncoII.org and eventually found this one. There are a few pictures out of your thread that really inspired me lately to jump on a deal and put a HP D44 and 9" combo in my 88 Chop top. Keep on keepin' on.

Not to thread jack, but here's a couple pics of mine :D (Still need to get my 33's mounted)

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, must admit I had to do a double take at first lol.
5.13s with 33s going to be awsome.
Keep us posted on your proress.

that back window is fully *****in. is the bottom sealed as well?

threadjack

Yeah, it is. The top is a PITA to keep together though because of the flex of wheeling. Its the back hatch of the BII.

/threadjack.

DSC02333.jpg

Well like always when I don't post for some time it's either of two things, I've given up the Ghost or I'm hunting. And in this case the only thing that gave up the Ghost was that Spring Gobbler.
Only thing left now is to clean and deep fry the breast, talk about good.

Now back to Samson. ARB USA emailed me and said they were backed up on Dana 70s and 80s but good news is there on the boat :D
Should have by middle of month or end of month.
Not much going on other then getting ready for the All Ford Nationals at the Carlisle Fair Grounds in a few weeks. I'll be in the Trail Class Bronco division which like last year takes in the EB, B2s and full size.
I may be wrong but in the 20 years of this show Samson was only the 2nd B2 to win First place. FWIW. Those Early Broncos are tuff to beat.

DSC02385.jpg

Like a lot of people around the country, I'm getting ready for the largest Ford show in the country in a few weeks at Carlisle.
Thought I'd do like a lot of guys that got their truck in a magazine and make a display.
So I made a painters easel out of couple of 2x4s I had at the shop and some Plexiglas I got from my friend Gene. Actually the Plexi came out of a tanning bed that he was throwing away. And the backing board came out of an old crib that won't see anymore use ha ha.
Just stripped the 2x4s down the middle on my radial arm saw. Cut a 15 degree cut at each end of two of the stripped boards. Then placed the third one with no angle cut between the two 15 deg. boards and bolted together.
Then a board at the bottom of the display board to hold up.

Next problem I had was that I did not want to cut up the magazine to get the pages out. Now this was a first for me and I got to tell you, it came out better in looks and quality then the original mag pics.
I scanned each page and then loaded on photobucket. Next I went on line to Walgreen's and via computer sent them there. In an hour they were ready and looks great.
Now this will be set up in the judged show field next to truck which means I don't have to hang around the truck all the time, especially since this is judged by the people who paid to get in and there is no set judging time.

DSC02386.jpg

Here you can see the non angled board placed between the two 15 deg. cut boards.
Also brushed some stain on.

ARB Update

Well I guess the Old Adage "Good things come to those that wait" implies here.
Like I posted, it's been months since I ordered the ARB locker. Well I got an email this morning stating that it will be here next week. Doing happy dance now.
But I noticed the part number was different then what I ordered and did not match other ARB part #s.
And this brought to mind something that ARB mentioned to me months ago. That they're going through a major change, which I thought meant management. I was wrong.
After going online to their PDF files I see that they have implemented a new stronger two piece design locker that replaces the older 3 piece design. Not that they were weak to begin with. But it turns out to be a whopping 40% stronger and with quicker lock timing.
Just glad I did wait to order. So now that D70 just got a whole lot stronger.
Read for yourself
http://arbusa.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/unlocked-2/

yeah ive heard that ARB is offering a revised version that is way stronger, as if you needed it in a D70! haha thats cool man, do you set up your own gears?

yeah ive heard that ARB is offering a revised version that is way stronger, as if you needed it in a D70! haha thats cool man, do you set up your own gears?

Only thing I don't do is re-spline the axle shafts. I hope that don't sound smart ass. But yes I did the front D44. Had a lot of practice back in the day.

ARB on time

In Transit: On TimeIn Transit: On Time Your shipment is moving within the UPS network and should be Business
Day(s) Left1

Change Delivery »
Request Status Updates »
Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 05/15/2012, By End of Day
Last Location:
Departed - Jacksonville, FL, United States, Friday, 05/11/2012

Can't wait! Don't know why though, it's not like I got the new front and rear gears, narrowed d70 axles shafts, 37"s, all new rims, the d44 5 lug to 8 lug conversion and all the matereal for the double tri-4 links sitting in the corner lol.

I'll post up pics of the new 2 piece design. Wish I had a pic of the older 3 piece so I know what I'm looking at ha ha.

ARB is here :D

DSC02399.jpg

Well the waiting is over and with no doubt it is a two piece design. You can see where it joins together at the ring gear flange.

DSC02404.jpg

The exploded view of the D70/80 that came in the instructions clearly shows the two parts that make up the locker #5 & #11.

DSC02396.jpg

Documenting the model/serial # The old 3 piece # was 65 FWIW.

DSC02398.jpg

Looking inside the 35 spline locker with that huge cross pin bolt.

DSC02403.jpg

All the associated parts, solenoids, air line, rocker switches and such. Going to see if I can up grade the air line to something stronger.
And 4Wheel Parts still gave me the sale price on the 3 piece design which was $940 which is cheaper then the new design.

About the tires.
Really don't know right now, but they can not go outside the fender flares. I have 12" wide tires now and they pass inspection with no problem.

gmanpaint

As much as you like to post pics and such, would you mind doing a "How To" on the install of that ARB into your axle, and the compressor and switches?

Absolutely, mind you that it will be a little here a there as the money comes in. What I plan on doing first is to to get the gears and the locker installed in the axle housing before sinking all the money which I don't have right now anyway for the tires, rims, axle shafts and front bolt pattern changed to 8 lug.
So first I need to order the lower gears.

Nope, redoing the front to match the 5.13 that will be in the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DSC02419.jpg

Just because I don't have the major parts for the D70 build don't mean I can't get started...like in getting rid of years of scum on the inside of the housing. Has the consistency of Play Dough lol.
Using a product I get from Family Dollar, it's called Awesome and it really works and dirt cheap. Here I using full strength.

DSC02420.jpg

Removed a lot of crud down where the pinion shaft goes through the housing. Also the top rag is cleaning out the duct that carries fluid to the shaft.

DSC02406.jpg

Measured for the new shortened axles shafts.

DSC02425.jpg

One more cleaning and it will be done. Also going to put two Rare Earth magnets in the housing to collect metal particles. One in the bottom of the main housing and other in the smaller part where the pinion shaft goes.

DSC02427.jpg

Using a 1/2" x 13 tap to clean the bearing cap threads. This will insure a good torque reading.

DSC02429.jpg

Plus I just received my pre paid entry slip for the Ford Nationals.
I have a blast up there just shooting the breeze with all the other gear heads and 4x4 guys.

Back