Transmission Flush | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Flush

Yes the Explorer trans starting in 02 and up are seal units. You have to put the trans fluid using cooler lines. There is a special type of drain plug at the bottom of the transmission. I have 97,000 miles on my 05 Explorer and I have never changed a filter on mine. I don't think this trans has a filter because of the magnet. On regular driving you could probably go 100,000 if it is all highway driving. In city driving not towing you could go 60,000. I change mine at 50,000 because I tow a trailer quite a few times a year. I am due again for another one soon. Make sure you get Mercon V don't use regular dextron/mercon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the Explorer trans starting in 02 and up are seal units. You have to put the trans fluid using cooler lines. There is a special type of drain plug at the bottom of the transmission. I have 97,000 miles on my 05 Explorer and I have never changed a filter on mine. I don't think this trans has a filter because of the magnet. On regular driving you could probably go 100,000 if it is all highway driving. In city driving not towing you could go 60,000. I change mine at 50,000 because I tow a trailer quite a few times a year. I am due again for another one soon. Make sure you get Mercon V don't use regular dextron/mercon.

They are not sealed, they just do not have a dipstick. The fluid is added through the drain plug. There is a filter, and there is a magnet. These transmissions are rather sensitive to fluid, so a 50k mile change interval (with filter) is a wise choice regardless of driving conditions/habits.

We did not change very many filters at the dealer. We did a ton more flushes. According to Ford and the techs they were considered sealed units because you could not add trans fluid or check the level through conventional ways.

They are not sealed, they just do not have a dipstick. The fluid is added through the drain plug. There is a filter, and there is a magnet. These transmissions are rather sensitive to fluid, so a 50k mile change interval (with filter) is a wise choice regardless of driving conditions/habits.

This is what Ford and all the techs I worked with all consider this a sealed unit. This is a link and a ton of other websites also say the samething. Yes I wrong there is a filter. I hardly sold any filters on 02-05 explorers, we did almost all flushes unless we replaced internal parts. You can read more on this by clicking the link below and it does say the fluid is good for 150,000 miles. I personally change mine every 50,000 miles because I tow alot.

It depends on the yr of the vehicle. Earlier models, pre 2002, had a dipstick and you could check fluid levels and top-up the fluid. Later model transmissions are a 'sealed unit' and according to Ford are designed to go 150,000 m without a fluid change. (You can tell that you have this type of transmission as it has no dipstick)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_yo...your_Ford_Explorer_transmission#ixzz1v3zYGZhd

We did not change very many filters at the dealer. We did a ton more flushes. According to Ford and the techs they were considered sealed units because you could not add trans fluid or check the level through conventional ways.

Many people call it a "sealed" unit, but that is incorrect and gives the wrong impression to those less familiar with these transmissions.

Flushing the transmission fluid without changing the filter is like showering and not changing your underpants. :rolleyes:

Flushing the transmission fluid without changing the filter is like showering and not changing your underpants. :rolleyes:

Ditto. Like a partial engine oil drain and top off, or complete change and leaving the contaminated filter. Probably worse. :thumbdwn:

I am not saying it is correct but just going by Ford, techs, and parts people in the business call it. In my 4 years out of 18 in the parts business for a Ford dealer. We sold more trans filters for the older Explorer's 2000 and under because the the gaskets were cork versus reusable. Changing the filter will not hurt though. I just never sold that many personally. We flushed alot of those trans and did not have any problems with leaving the original filter in and I have done mine once.

I am not saying it is correct but just going by Ford, techs, and parts people in the business call it. In my 4 years out of 18 in the parts business for a Ford dealer. We sold more trans filters for the older Explorer's 2000 and under because the the gaskets were cork versus reusable. Changing the filter will not hurt though. I just never sold that many personally. We flushed alot of those trans and did not have any problems with leaving the original filter in and I have done mine once.

You are offering poor advice to other Explorer owners.

It's NOT a sealed system by any means. You just check it & fill it at the pan. No special tools are required.

Flushing a transmission without changing the filter & cleaning/inspecting the pan is a bad practice.

I am sorry for giving poor advice to Explorer owners as turborich pointed out. FORD calls it a sealed unit!! I am sorry that I use FORD'S wording. If you don't like it then call FORD and complain about the name of the transmission. What bad advice was I giving? What's funny is looking at my owners manual I could not find anything about how to change trans fluid in the manual. There is nothing wrong with changing your filter if you want. I guess working for Ford dealers in parts for 18 years doesn't count for anything. I personally never changed mine and at 97,000 it works great. My mom has an 03 she has 79,000 and never changed hers. We have flushes done.

You are offering poor advice to other Explorer owners.

It's NOT a sealed system by any means. You just check it & fill it at the pan. No special tools are required.

Flushing a transmission without changing the filter & cleaning/inspecting the pan is a bad practice.

Here is a link for a special adaptor you need to fill the trans. If don't believe me I wll call and get the Ford part number for you. I would check you advice of just fill and no special tools because that is incorrect. You need an adaptor and a suction pump of some kind to get the fluid in the trans.

This is a required tool to fill or add fluid to the 5R55W automatic transmission used on 2003 and newer Ford Explorers
Same as Ford No. 307-437
Operating instructions: remove fill plug from transmission, install No_OTC6604, fill transmission to correct fluid level, remove No. OTC6604 and reinstall fill plug in transmission

Dead Link Removed

OK... So should I just have the fluid changed or should I do a flush? I know that since I have owned my explorer I have not changed or flushed the trans fluid. From my understanding it is a bad idea to flush a transmission once you get into higher mileage. I'd really like to Keep this thing in good health.

Flushing the fluid is changing it in a way. You can ask the dealer because if you do not have the adaptor tool you need and a pump of some kind you will not be able to add the fluid to the trans. I do mine at 50,000 mile intervals because of towing. I would ask the dealer because my owners manual does not give any info on intervals for transmission fluid change just to be safe. A dealer might not check the trans pan or change the filter unless you ask them to. I believe you pay more in labor for that as a extra charge because that is usually not part of the trans flush service. I would take it to the dealer to do because they have the right tools nothing against the independents.

You have got to be kidding me?

You don't need any special service tool. All you need is a brass fitting that is available at any hardware store for about $3.00. The only other thing you need is a suction pump which is available at any auto parts store for $10.00.

I did a write up of exactly what is involved in changing the transmission fluid. If you use the search function then you will find it. It list the thread size and pitch of the $3.00 brass fitting.

Perhaps I will re-do the write up with photos so that it can be made into a sticky. These myths about special tools for serving the transmission come up all of the time and scare DIY'ers into going to a shop instead of doing the work themselves.

If you want to do a transmission flush without changing the filter then that's up to you. Would you change your engine oil without changing the filter?

How do you explain leaving all of the old clutch material and/or any metal shavings in the pan? A flush sure as heck doesn't remove any of this. Bottom line is that the pan needs to be removed to be cleaned & inspected along with the filter.

Ford can recommend whatever they want, look at how many of these transmissions have failed at the hands of Ford.

OK... So should I just have the fluid changed or should I do a flush? I know that since I have owned my explorer I have not changed or flushed the trans fluid. From my understanding it is a bad idea to flush a transmission once you get into higher mileage. I'd really like to Keep this thing in good health.

I would start with a filter and fluid change. Do it again in a few thousand miles and see how it is treating you.

A flush shouldn't cause any issues, but sometimes it is done poorly or improperly...along with the risk of it disturbing anything that had been dormant.

I changed it to an adaptor instead of tool. I agree that they say this to keep DIY's from doing it themselves. I would think you change the oil and filter because with having a dipstick you have a better chance of getting airborne dust plus the engine has more moving parts then a trans does. For example when you sitting in park or at a light the engine is running which means pistons, rods bearing and so on are still and have a chance to put more metal in the filter. Where as for the trans the toeque convertor is spinning but the gears aren't. If I am correct.

You need to monitor the temperature of the transmission fluid when filling it up. That's why the transmission shops/dealers always hooked it up to their scan tool. Using SCANGAUGE or an OBD scanner with transmission module always help. So you still need some special equipment to do it yourself. Although you could do it by feel, sometimes it's very subjective and could cost more repairs along the way..

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

You don't need a scan gauge or special equipment. You can use the OBDII scanner as you mentioned, use an non contact thermometer available at Harbor Freight tools for $30.00 or you can simply feel the trans pan with your hand.

It's not rocket science by any means. If you want to make this into a huge task that requires all of these special tools then go for it. Sometimes it's better to put the books down & be hands on. This is a very simple job.

You don't need a scan gauge or special equipment. You can use the OBDII scanner as you mentioned, use an non contact thermometer available at Harbor Freight tools for $30.00 or you can simply feel the trans pan with your hand.

It's not rocket science by any means. If you want to make this into a huge task that requires all of these special tools then go for it. Sometimes it's better to put the books down & be hands on. This is a very simple job.

Exactly. Hell, the worst that is going to happen is:

1) Underfill. The vehicle either will not move, or will have a hard time going from a hard stop. Take it home and add more fluid.

2) Overfill. The transmission fluid will make a mess coming out of the vent. It tends to foam, making a little fluid look like a big deal, but it is not an issue. It will evacuate the excess, and then you are good.

In all the times I have done it I really have not had any issues. Once or twice I was a little low or a little high, and it was easy enough to correct as stated above.

There will be absolutely NO under filling or over filling the transmission.

It is NO different than any other transmission. You simply check the fluid at the pan. You don't check the fluid with a conventional dip stick when the fluid is cold, you wait until it's warmed up. No code reader or diagnostic tool required for checking a "dipstick" This transmission is no different despite what you have read or have been told. Warm fluid slightly expands. This is true for any automatic transmission.

You are making this into a HUGE deal for no reason at all.

Do you know why Ford used this design in the transmission?

1 So you had to go to the dealer for service.
2 to prevent adding the incorrect type of trans fluid.

That's it, It's a regular transmission with a unconventional "dipstick" It's very easy to change the fluid & refill it.

Don't worry, you can have this thread to yourself and say whatever you want as I'm done here. Ford training or not, As a mechanic you should know better then leaving the old filter & pan unchecked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There will be absolutely NO under filling or over filling the transmission.

It is NO different than any other transmission. You simply check the fluid at the pan. You don't check the fluid with a conventional dip stick when the fluid is cold, you wait until it's warmed up. No code reader or diagnostic tool required for checking a "dipstick" This transmission is no different despite what you have read or have been told. Warm fluid slightly expands. This is true for any automatic transmission.

You are making this into a HUGE deal for no reason at all.

Do you know why Ford used this design in the transmission?

1 So you had to go to the dealer for service.
2 to prevent adding the incorrect type of trans fluid.

That's it, It's a regular transmission with a unconventional "dipstick" It's very easy to change the fluid & refill it.

Don't worry, you can have this thread to yourself and say whatever you want as I'm done here. Ford training or not, As a mechanic you should know better then leaving the old filter & pan unchecked.

Wow man, you need to throttle back. If you read my post, I was agreeing with you and stated "worst case" for a reason. I think you are getting me confused with the other guy, as I am not a mechanic and he worked the parts counter. Easy there, big fella. :eek:

Back