1999 Ford Explorer XLT Will NOT START! :( | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer XLT Will NOT START! :(

I changed the In-line filter under the driver door. I can hear the pump trying to run, I think I may have a clogged filter again... Luckily I have a spare filter in my car. When I get off work I will throw the new one in and see what happens. If that's the case I will be dropping that tank again and doing a good cleaning! lol

Thanks for all the advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok after replacing the fuel pump assembly and the filter under the driver door this dang explorer decides it is going to start and run fine a day or two then randomly not start, then decide it wants to start and then a few days later leave me stranded again. It runs like a top when it runs, no check engine light or anything on... Just won't start randomly. But today it left me and my daughter stranded! I have no idea, time to take it to a mechanic! :/

Check the socket for the fuel pump and PCM relays--could be a bad connection there. Also, pull and re seat the fuel pump and pcm fuses.

I had this very same issue, turned out to be a bad connection where the pcm relay plugs into the power distribution box. I crimped the connectors, gave the relay tabs a slight twist to make them fit tighter and the problem went away.

Check the socket for the fuel pump and PCM relays--could be a bad connection there. Also, pull and re seat the fuel pump and pcm fuses.

I had this very same issue, turned out to be a bad connection where the pcm relay plugs into the power distribution box. I crimped the connectors, gave the relay tabs a slight twist to make them fit tighter and the problem went away.

Well I already broke down and had her towed to the ford dealership! lol If she can't be fixed now then I think it's time she is retired!

Thanks for all the help everybody! I will post my findings for future reference!

Well I already broke down and had her towed to the ford dealership! lol If she can't be fixed now then I think it's time she is retired!

Thanks for all the help everybody! I will post my findings for future reference!

So what ended up being done at the dealership? and did that fix the problem?

Back