My '94 extended cab | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '94 extended cab

forgot to post the pics. here you can see the dryrot cracks in it. so when its filled up it leaks out like 10oz of gas. and why i smell gas while driving prob cause it sloshes out and leaks. no more leaking or gas smell now :)
IMG_20120901_190340.jpg

IMG_20120901_190323.jpg

IMG_20120901_190347.jpg

i also flushed the hell out of the rad/engine/heater and replaced the thermostat. this was taken for my maintenance record im keeping. but ill post it
IMG_20120902_134510.jpg

edit: oh yea. ~14.5mpg city. sometimes nice, sometimes launching it.
21.59mpg highway. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should get better than 14 in town... I beat the hell out of mine a lot and it doesn't get below 17mpg in town.

I did a plugs/wires/ syn oil change on mine when I first got it to take it from 14 to 17.

Just my $0.02.

He has a auto,3.05 gears and slightly larger than stock tires.but i do agree he should be getting better.i see you have a 5speed,what gears and tire combo you got?

He has a auto,3.05 gears and slightly larger than stock tires.but i do agree he should be getting better.i see you have a 5speed,what gears and tire combo you got?

235/75/15 and open diff 3.27 gears

3.08s!!!! 3.08s jd! haha

and yes, i should be getting better. it seems like some plugs and wires would help. seems sluggish, but then again, 3.08s lol. i mostly see ~14.5mpg. and i got 15.43mpg once. but with my slight tire size difference i have to add 0.05% to that. so i actually get ~15.5mpg. and the auto tranny deff hurts me.

hopefully my plan comes together. jd gonna help pull the exploders engine. gonna rebuild it and drop it in the ranger with an e-fan. do a shift kit on the a4 and throw in an 8.8 with 373s and discs. that should help a lot :D

3.08s!!!! 3.08s jd! haha

and yes, i should be getting better. it seems like some plugs and wires would help. seems sluggish, but then again, 3.08s lol. i mostly see ~14.5mpg. and i got 15.43mpg once. but with my slight tire size difference i have to add 0.05% to that. so i actually get ~15.5mpg. and the auto tranny deff hurts me.

hopefully my plan comes together. jd gonna help pull the exploders engine. gonna rebuild it and drop it in the ranger with an e-fan. do a shift kit on the a4 and throw in an 8.8 with 373s and discs. that should help a lot :D
3.0***whatever!!still way to high,or atleast i think.you def need a tune up and maybe cats.even on the highway i would think you would get better than 20 but the stress uf getting up to speed and staying there could be killing you also.
so 28.9" & 3.27 vs 28.03" & 3.08. your 5-speed makes up the difference on that. plus a tiny bit more gear to make up for the weight differnence
5speed makes huge difference. and that tiny extra big of gear in the rear probably makes a huge difference.o and he said the lowest he got was 17.wonder what he gets on the regular?i would think rangers got around 18ish city 25ish highway or better.

his gear difference makes up for the fact of hes heavier pretty much.

i no longer think i need cats. gas smell was the filler neck. underpowerment is the gearing and needing of some engine tlc.

i was considering shifting manually just to see what a difference it would make in stop and go traffic.

5speed makes huge difference. and that tiny extra big of gear in the rear probably makes a huge difference.o and he said the lowest he got was 17.wonder what he gets on the regular?i would think rangers got around 18ish city 25ish highway or better.

Are you referring to 87 octane? If you are, that is all I can afford to run at this point.

I was really wanting to swap to 3.73's with the gen 2 disc axle, but $$$ is short right now.

I had 3.73's on my old 94 ranger that had the 2.3/ stick/ 2wd.... with the gutless 4 banger it needed the 3.73's. My ranger got 22 and 25 for fuel economy.

Are you referring to 87 octane? If you are, that is all I can afford to run at this point.

I was really wanting to swap to 3.73's with the gen 2 disc axle, but $$$ is short right now.

I had 3.73's on my old 94 ranger that had the 2.3/ stick/ 2wd.... with the gutless 4 banger it needed the 3.73's. My ranger got 22 and 25 for fuel economy.

No.you said you got 17mpg when you drive hard.i was wondering what mpg you got with regular/normal driving?

i wouldnt have minded a 4banger. put a nice turbo on it. i cant handle a stick tho, im to lazy to shift and use a clutch haha.
thats some crazy mileage with that setup tho. i think a fresh engine, shift kit, 373s and if i can ever find anymore for sale, an underdrive pulley kit, would make me happy.

i did get 15.4mpg once, on a 260mile fillup. havent been able to do it again. same gas station i always use to.

No.you said you got 17mpg when you drive hard.i was wondering what mpg you got with regular/normal driving?

Driving easy netted 18.5 one time.... I have too much rage to drive slow all the time though. :D Too many f***tards on the roads around a military installation. (I know y'all around VA Beach know this all to well). My ex-wife is from Portsmouth, so I got to experience the SE VA driving situation.

Driving easy netted 18.5 one time.... I have too much rage to drive slow all the time though. :D Too many f***tards on the roads around a military installation. (I know y'all around VA Beach know this all to well). My ex-wife is from Portsmouth, so I got to experience the SE VA driving situation.

Hahah yea i hear yea, tourist are the freakn worst!.that's still pretty good mpg.we will have to wait and see what xeek gets after we swap the rear end out,then motor:eek:

i cant handle a stick tho, im to lazy to shift and use a clutch haha.

thats some crazy mileage with that setup tho.

LOL I refuse to drive anything but a stick.... pretty much why I hate the new cars, I say that it takes away from the excitement of driving.

My main reasoning for the stick is, I have had too many auto's fail due to dumb stuff, never had a manual break on me, in 14 years of driving a stick, I have had 3 clutches die (2 when I first started out on diff vehicles, and my X)

Granted living in a big city where you do a stick wouldn't be all that exciting, and FWIW an auto is better for off-roading on hills.

As for the mileage, the 2.3 wouldn't get out of it's own shadow power wise, good thing it was in a light truck.

wait and see what xeek gets after we swap the rear end out,then motor:eek:
:)

LOL I refuse to drive anything but a stick.... pretty much why I hate the new cars, I say that it takes away from the excitement of driving.

My main reasoning for the stick is, I have had too many auto's fail due to dumb stuff, never had a manual break on me, in 14 years of driving a stick, I have had 3 clutches die (2 when I first started out on diff vehicles, and my X)

Granted living in a big city where you do a stick wouldn't be all that exciting, and FWIW an auto is better for off-roading on hills.

As for the mileage, the 2.3 wouldn't get out of it's own shadow power wise, good thing it was in a light truck.
yea id love the durability and long life of a stick, but im just to lazy to use it as i said haha

as for the 2.3 being slow. try a 2.2 non-turbo perkins 4cyl diesel in the first gen rangers. someone on youtube has a 0-60 that took just under a minute lol

well im on a mission for a b2 1" rear sway bar and a 87-88 ranger stx 1 1/8" front sway bar. ddint find either at the junkyard today, but atleast i picked up a set of stock brackets to hold the bar to the axle. since my truck didnt have a sway bar lol

i also picked up some stuff that has to do with a 2nd gen exploder and a ranger thunderbolt. ill be doing that later on.

and i finally got my ohc wired. just the map and dome lights so far lol
stock 3 bulb ranger light
IMG_20120914_205747.jpg

stock 3 bulb ranger light + 2 bulb exploder ohc
IMG_20120914_210101.jpg

side view with both on. this side view when i had just the stock ranger light was completely black.
IMG_20120914_210208.jpg

of course its brighter then the pics make it seem. but my phone doesnt have a really nice camera in it.

i found a 94 4dr exploder at the junkyard today with the same seats my ranger has. except buckets. so i grabbed the drivers seat and swapped the tracks. note swapping tracks is not necessary between the two trucks, BUT, the tracks were broken on the exploder so i kinda had it. but it wouldve bolted in otherwise.

IMG_20120916_152329.jpg

now the question is: full length 2nd gen exploder console. or short 1st gen exploder console, leaving me with 4 cup holders? lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha. yea i was really thinking the short one. i dunno about having 4 cup holders tho. i just like the stock one in there now due to the big cubby in it. plus theres a hole in the carpet right there. so i have no choice but to keep it

Back