Seriously getting ready for an Expedition.. | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seriously getting ready for an Expedition..

..I ran across this little item up in Victorville today..

..A 12v crock pot..:eek:
IMG_20121016_181146.jpg

..I never did catch the price but I just looked it up and it's about $30..

..Could you imagine making your own home made chili or beef stew while heading down the Mojave Road?
http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-cooking/12-volt-portable-slow-cooker-crock-pot.htm

12-volt-slow-cooker-crock-pot-plus.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder how it would hold up on while bouncing down the road?

Crock pot.....

You might be able to use some foam or such to minimize the shock of bad roads.... I dunno tho it might be usable in our situations, Ted, you gonna be the tester? :D Michael

..:scratch:...I might just get one next week just to try it out..

..I tend to make a chili at home in the winter season before a trip but this would be a big change..Although it only holds 48 oz. it might just be a perfect size to make the correct amount on trail...

..My only worry would be if my chili spilled it would slowly eat a hole in the floor board..

..:shifty_ey ..and I'm waiting for Brian1 to check in and say he already has one and already did an article about it somewhere...:D

I think I'd cook up the food at home, and use the "mobile" cooker to reheat.

..:shifty_ey ..and I'm waiting for Brian1 to check in and say he already has one and already did an article about it somewhere...:D

Haha! Cant say that I have. Im a bit skeptical about it, I dont like eating my food off the floor. :eek:

I would think that would be a big power hog because it has to have some sort of heating element in it.

And why stop at just a crock pot? You can outfit your Explorer/Ranger into a mobile kitchen with all of their products, just bring extra batteries or a huge alternator!
http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-cooking/12-volt-cooking.htm

And just for Scott:

portable-pizza-maker-thumb-300x250-325.jpg

http://www.jcwhitney.com/12-volt-pizza-oven/p2003227.jcwx

..The power draw wouldn't be much of a problem when driving but I wouldn't run it while sitting for a day with the fridge and all..

78 Watts (6.5 Amps)

..As for the pizza ovens, I know AdventureDuo and a few others already have the pizza ovens of choice in their trailers..I think Adventure Trailers also sells them as an accessory for their offroad trailers..Dave (of AdventureDuo) did some cooking at an event last year or so to show off the new appliance..:D

Ovens and such.........

You guy's are a cast of "Characters" for sure, always something :D Michael ( Scott, boy does that Scout shoot!!!)

..For those looking for storage solutions in their vehicle, this thread may hold what you are looking for..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372632

Hey, thanks for the plug. . .

So here's something I thought the followers of this thread might find interesting, and yes, I realize it's incredibly lame to take photos of "Expedition Stuff" inside your garage, but here goes . . .
GrillSM.JPG

Just a vehicle mounted grill - - if any of you are also boating enthusiasts, you've seen similar set-ups to this on the water. "Table" is wood plank made to fit the base of a Coleman stove.
Grill TableSM.JPG

Uses the standard marine mounts and marine stove "arm". All components fit in the REI Camp Bag. . .
GrillinSM'.JPG

Paul
'91 Sport

...It's looking awesome...

Thanks. . .

Good looking tank (and close by), but sure it was snatched up before I even saw the post. . . IIRC tanks have a 12 year use life, so not sure how old that one already was. . . and only $20 off retail. . .

So, after the uber-expensive drawer project, how about an inexpensive way to transport soft goods on the trail . . . ? ? ?
View attachment 71741

About $5 worth of SS snap-links and $.09 of zip ties. . .
View attachment 71742

Paul
'91 Sport

...Just a heads up for those looking for Roto-Pax 2 gallon fuel containers...

..4WP will be having a sale (12/1/12-12/31/12) 20% off holiday sale on them so they will be $47.99 pl tx ea...;)

Tent Peg Hammer

Before last year's expedition, I bought an inexpensive rubber mallet for the express purpose of pounding in tent stakes. As anyone there will attest, the head snapped off the handle while pounding in the 2nd stake. It was a long 2 weeks...

After a many months long, non-exhaustive search, I decided on this one - a Vaughan RM 24. It has a 24 oz. head, and replaceable rubber tips. I have several other Vaughan hammers, and they are top-notch product. I have every confidence that this one will not fail!

Attachments

• 31P4NHXD2RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31P4NHXD2RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 568

Peg hammer..........

I remember that, and the mice.......... :D Michael

Before last year's expedition, I bought an inexpensive rubber mallet for the express purpose of pounding in tent stakes. As anyone there will attest, the head snapped off the handle while pounding in the 2nd stake. It was a long 2 weeks...

After a many months long, non-exhaustive search, I decided on this one - a Vaughan RM 24. It has a 24 oz. head, and replaceable rubber tips. I have several other Vaughan hammers, and they are top-notch product. I have every confidence that this one will not fail!

Scott, that looks like a flooring hammer/mallet that is used for installing hardwood floors.

Scott, that looks like a flooring hammer/mallet that is used for installing hardwood floors.

Yes, it does. The white rubber tip is non-marring.

What I do know is, this one is about 1/3 the cost of the Snow Peak mallet.

..I'm hoping to add 1-2 new mods to the X before next months trip across the Mojave Desert..:D

...I definitely will have the dual battery set up completed as I've got all the parts and I was hoping to have an easier install with the body lift but I'm still an 1" or so short some I'm going to try and mount it a certain way that I'm not 100% sure on but it will get tested on the Mojave Trail..

..and with any luck the X will have a new efan swapped into it for this trip also...

..This area we will travel is not the most rugged and it will be under 100* this time of year but it will all definitely get tested, fixed and/or accepted, before this summer's heat arrives..;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I added to my tire repair kit.

This tool set will remove and replace a valve stem while the tire is seated! I have not tried it, but seeing the video, it takes less than a minute.

Here, you can see the tool set, then my entire tire repair kit.

Attachments

• TireKit1.jpg
    TireKit1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 580
  • TireKit2.jpg
    TireKit2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 570

Back