2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4WD no reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4WD no reverse

VladTheHungarian

Reaction score
City, State
NEPA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT4.0 SOHC
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT with a 4.0 L SOHC with 4WD, 5R44/55E trans, all my forward gears shift , (up shift and down shifts smoothly automatically and manually smoothly) but I have no reverse, it sounds like it tries to move, I can hear and feel it try but it will not back up. Put it in any forward gear and it move no problem.
Fluid is up to level, clean and has no burnt smell, this problem just happened, no warning, no slipping, it just stopped going in reverse, the shift lever moves smootly between gear, no cluncks, no whining, no grinding.

I'm at a loss, been a mechanic for 30 years worked on cars, bikes and boats so I'm no stranger to rebuilding engines and transmissions but this one kinda has me stumpped, any help or directions for trouble shooting would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help, you folks have helped me before so I have faith that you'll be able to help me out again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The most common failure point is the valve body gasket blown out around the reverse servo. Thats what happened to 2 of mine.

Can I get to the valve body without droppin' the trans?

I gotta pull out my service manual look...

Drop the pan.... Its staring you in the face.

Edit:

Read all the 5r55e stickies at the top of the trans section. Everything you need to know about the valve body is there.

Drop the pan.... Its staring you in the face.

Edit:

Read all the 5r55e stickies at the top of the trans section. Everything you need to know about the valve body is there.

Thanks snoranger, I see you're in Jackson, I grew up in Woodbridge and Oldbridge so I'm familiar with your neck of the woods, used to do a lotta 4wheelin' in the Pine Barrens backin the 80s.

1 last question, (I've been readin' the stickies for the last few hours) with a fully equiped garage with a lift, what kinda time frame am I lookin' at, (I'll have another mechanic I trust as much as myself workin' with me)?

Thanks again for the quick resonses.

Thanks snoranger, I see you're in Jackson, I grew up in Woodbridge and Oldbridge so I'm familiar with your neck of the woods, used to do a lotta 4wheelin' in the Pine Barrens backin the 80s.

1 last question, (I've been readin' the stickies for the last few hours) with a fully equiped garage with a lift, what kinda time frame am I lookin' at, (I'll have another mechanic I trust as much as myself workin' with me)?

Thanks again for the quick resonses.

I grew up in Old Bridge.

It took me about 2-2.5 hours to pull the valve body, clean everything, replace the gasket and spacer with the upgraded, new filter, etc. (No lift, just really tall jackstands.)

I used to live by rt 34 by Cheesequake, Rural Auto body was across the st. and tommy's Angles was the Go Go bar next door, it was an old farm. now it's about 30 town homes.

BTW thanks for the info, I'll let ya know how I make out.

I lived over by where rt18 and 516/527 meet.

So Guys....it's been three years since this post originated and I am curious if the VB Gasket fixed the problem? I have the same Explorer/spec's and problem seems to be the same and need to know what I'm up against here. Do I scrap it or rebuild or just put the effort into a gasket and hope it fixes my problem. I have a very limited time and $ budget to expend on this truck and need to weigh all options very carefully.

Your fix/solution to your problem might just be the answer for me as well so if you could reply, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

McMuddy

I doubt it, most likely a broken reverse band. Why people dont have the courtesy to come back and explain the problem so others can learn is beyond me...

Thanks Bluestream....

I hear you, it would be nice but I guess once people have the problem fixed, going back is too much effort.

In any event, my truck issue is weird in that I have intermittent times when it will go into reverse and then nothing again for thirty or forty times trying and then once again and then nothing. Can't seem to figure out exactly how to make it go into reverse other than perhaps the slope I'm sitting on at the time, or the fact that the truck is cold perhaps or ????? Anyway, I'm surviving with just going forward in my life and never letting myself get into a situation where I have to reverse......it's just going to bite me in the ass one of these days.

Thanks for the input though....

McMuddy

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT with a 4.0 L SOHC with 4WD, 5R44/55E trans, all my forward gears shift , (up shift and down shifts smoothly automatically and manually smoothly) but I have no reverse, it sounds like it tries to move, I can hear and feel it try but it will not back up. Put it in any forward gear and it move no problem.
Fluid is up to level, clean and has no burnt smell, this problem just happened, no warning, no slipping, it just stopped going in reverse, the shift lever moves smootly between gear, no cluncks, no whining, no grinding.

I'm at a loss, been a mechanic for 30 years worked on cars, bikes and boats so I'm no stranger to rebuilding engines and transmissions but this one kinda has me stumpped, any help or directions for trouble shooting would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help, you folks have helped me before so I have faith that you'll be able to help me out again.
Hey I’m having the same issue, did the comments below fix your problem?

Back