Gear Shift Stuck in Park | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shift Stuck in Park

Not yet, I bought the car used not to long ago. Being in Canada we are a little slower then the rest of the world.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just found this thread after posting a new thread. On the other hand, no one offered a solution to my problem here anyway. The recall for the circuit board is only on selected vin #s and the service bulletin on the brake switch does not apply to the 2006 explorer, only up to 2005. The brake switch on the 2006 is actually not under the dash by the steering column but it is within the gear lever box itself. ANY HELP?

Well, I finally brought the car into the dealer to get a leaky rad fixed and got them to take a look at this shifting issue as well. Well, they want $475 for parts and labor to replace the entire shifter.

I want to give this shifter solenoid thing a try as when the issue occurs I can't hear it working. When it is working when I press on the brakes I can hear the solenoid working. Does anyone have the Ford OEM part# for this part?

Any help is appreciated.

Recall

Did you not get a recall notice for it?

I had the same problem on 2006 ford explorer Eddie Bauer. The dealer fixed it under a recall for no charge.

Read my post # 3 and take a look at the first pic in post 4. See that little micro switch at the top right? I suspect when I pulled back on the shifter (with the brake released) it would engage that switch and allow the system to operate. It worked every time until I had the dealer fix it under 3/36.

Hence, maybe all that is required is an "adjustment" to that switch (FWIW).

The problem she described is exactly the problem im having, but I have an 01 sport trac. And its not the brake switch, I just replaced it to no avail.

Is there an electric shift interlock on my truck? Or is my problem something else entirely?

ok same problem took cover off like picture showed found switch broken moved it forward and taped it in place can get shifter at junk yard for about 250.00 but why waste money only thng it i can shift with key truned off let dealer i trade into fix it forum was alot of help and saved me alot of money by fixing my self thanks guys

try what i did once open you willl see plastic switch like picture showed or youcan disconnect with screww driver if not broken good luck

i had the same problem...i took myexplorer in and the dealer said there is a recall for the shifter to schedule an appt. to have repaired... so i scheduled it for the following week...when i took my explorer in the dealer informed me the recall had expired the day after i origanally went in... i asked why they didnt tell me that and their answer was they dont keep track of the recall experation dates...

Man that really sucks. I brought mine into the dealer to get this issue fixed, and apparently its not covered under my extended warranty and they wanted somewhere around $500 to fix it. Needless to say I told them not to even bother. Now I just carry a flat head screwdriver with me as a "Just in Case".

i had the same problem...i took myexplorer in and the dealer said there is a recall for the shifter to schedule an appt. to have repaired... so i scheduled it for the following week...when i took my explorer in the dealer informed me the recall had expired the day after i origanally went in... i asked why they didnt tell me that and their answer was they dont keep track of the recall experation dates...
I’m really sorry to hear that the program had expired. I have your Explorer’s details from previous messages and I wanted to know if you would send me the most updated details with your concern to I can review this. Thank you.

Cory

Man that really sucks. I brought mine into the dealer to get this issue fixed, and apparently its not covered under my extended warranty and they wanted somewhere around $500 to fix it. Needless to say I told them not to even bother. Now I just carry a flat head screwdriver with me as a "Just in Case".
It’s unfortunate that your extended warranty didn’t cover the repair. I’m not sure what can be done, but I recommend contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center (1-800-565-3673) to see if this can be reviewed for you.

Cory

It’s unfortunate that your extended warranty didn’t cover the repair. I’m not sure what can be done, but I recommend contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center (1-800-565-3673) to see if this can be reviewed for you.

Cory

I have a 2007 that this is happening with. Is there a recall on 2007? Eddie Bauer v8. Thanks.

yea i remember there being a recall issued for this problem, my dad received it on his explorer when he first bought but never bother taking it to them

My ST has the same problem. Warranty is now out and there are no recalls for my VIN. When I had warranty the dealership were a bunch of dicks. I told them about the TSB and said I was lying. So I pulled a print out of my pocket and showed them. I asked if they could come out and see the problem in action. The manager said no and if I wanted it to looked at it would cost $50+ per half hour. I was the only person there and did not look busy at all. I went home and examined the problem myself. I popped the lever out and no don't have the problem. Link to video that shows the problem in acation.

My ST has the same problem. Warranty is now out and there are no recalls for my VIN. When I had warranty the dealership were a bunch of dicks. I told them about the TSB and said I was lying. So I pulled a print out of my pocket and showed them. I asked if they could come out and see the problem in action. The manager said no and if I wanted it to looked at it would cost $50+ per half hour. I was the only person there and did not look busy at all. I went home and examined the problem myself. I popped the lever out and no don't have the problem. Link to video that shows the problem in acation.

I don't know if it will help any, but I'd report that dealership to Ford.

I agree with willied. BTW, nice video. I wish I knew how to do that.

Hey guys/gals, I just replaced the brake pedal actuator on my 2006 Explorer in an attempt to fix the "Stuck in Park" issue. I haven't driven much with it in yet so I cannot say for sure that it has fixed the issue but so far things are looking good.

I have attached the below photos of the part and packaging which will give you some Ford part numbers. The part itself was ordered from Tousley Ford and only costs about $30 with about 20 minutes of installation time. I hope this helps anyone with this extremely frustrating issue.

IMG_0726_zpsad41e74a.jpg

IMG_0725_zpsa24310d9.jpg

IMG_0724_zpsbac53ea5.jpg

I agree with willied. BTW, nice video. I wish I knew how to do that.

That was a great video, now it's gone! :(

It was an animated GIF if I remember correctly. Next time I'm in the console, I'll attempt the same images. Really helped understand what was going on in there.

I'll post what little I have of the mechanism, but it's no substitute for that video:

307-05-1.gif

307-05-2.gif

307-05-1lg.gif

So PEAR0119, was your old switch physically broken? When you use the screwdriver to override the shifter push button, what does it press on? I guess I don't understand how that switch keeps the lever from moving back. As I recall, a cable from the brake pedal pulled a plastic unit forward, which allowed the shifter to move back.

Edit: Whew, the images I remember were from the beginning of this very thread:

Awesome, they should be part of the shop manual!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So PEAR0119, was your old switch physically broken? When you use the screwdriver to override the shifter push button, what does it press on? I guess I don't understand how that switch keeps the lever from moving back. As I recall, a cable from the brake pedal pulled a plastic unit forward, which allowed the shifter to move back.

Edit: Whew, the images I remember were from the beginning of this very thread:

It wasn't that the actuator itself was broken, it was still intact when I took it out. It was just that when I pressed on the brake pedal the actuator would not move thus not allowing me to pull the trigger on the gear selector.

I have never used the screwdriver method, I never had to go that far. I did however have to play with it for 5-10 minutes before it would finally work. My best guess is that you are not pushing a button with the screwdriver but rather manually moving the plastic piece out of the way allowing you to pull the trigger on the gear selector.

In 4th gens there is no cable, its all run by electronics. From what I can gather, when you press on the brakes you activate the brake switch which then sends a signal up to this actuator as well as the rear brake lights. Once the signal is received the actuator moves out moving the plastic piece on the right out of the way allowing you to pull the trigger on the gear selector.

Back