2005 Explorer mystery beep... any clue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer mystery beep... any clue?

gofster

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Please see the post below. : )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try this again

I think I messed up my initial post, which is why I'm not getting any responses. lol!

Anyhow, this is a weird mystery beep that started a few months ago in my 2005 Ford Explorer. At first it would only happen when it was cold, then it would stop after about 10 minutes. It's slowly gotten worse to where it now beeps all the time, even after the truck has warmed up. There are no dummy lights or other warning lights on, and I've shown it to at least 4 mechanics, none know what the beep is.

If you know or have an idea, please post in the comments or drop me an email. I appreciate it! : )

beats the **** out me...
i've never heard such noise and i have owned a bunch of explorers. does yours have remote start or some other add on? also, does it change/go away when you're messing with your climate control dials? grasping at straws here...

Possible that the truck had some type of GPS or Lo-Jack system installed in it at one time (maybe from the previous owner) and the Li-Ion battery is going out? Normally these are hardwired in, but most have a battery backup in them (just like a CPU in a computer....) and that may trigger the beeping?

That sound would drive me nuts :banghead::banghead::banghead:

beats the **** out me...
i've never heard such noise and i have owned a bunch of explorers. does yours have remote start or some other add on? also, does it change/go away when you're messing with your climate control dials? grasping at straws here...

Thanks for the response, yeah, it's crazy! Nope, no remote start or other add-on's that I know about other than a DVD player for the kids where the dome light was in the center of the ceiling.

And no, it doesn't go away after messing with any of the controls. Yeah, it has me baffled too. It seems to be centered in the center console just off of where the cup holders are.

The sound is almost constant now and only stops after I've been driving the truck a lot in one day and it's really warmed up.

Possible that the truck had some type of GPS or Lo-Jack system installed in it at one time (maybe from the previous owner) and the Li-Ion battery is going out? Normally these are hardwired in, but most have a battery backup in them (just like a CPU in a computer....) and that may trigger the beeping?

That sound would drive me nuts :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thanks! Yeah, it DOES drive me nuts! lol! That's a thought, it's worth looking into. A friend suggested that it might be some kind of alarm for the air bag.

I just bought the truck last year. It has 165K on it, but I think they're mostly highway miles because the rest of the truck is in beautiful condition.

is it louder looking under the hood? possibly the belt or any of those components connected.

Nope, it's all located inside the cab, no exterior noise at all. It's a puzzling one for sure! lol!

Not a sound that I have ever heard of in my 05. I 2nd the after market device idea.
Subscribing... Let us know if you find it...

It's gonna blow!!

That's a bummer, but I'll 3rd the after market device. Good luck finding it.

Do you have that progressive snapshot? I had it that thing beeped sometimes . I also don't recommend it at all because it destroyed one of my O2 sensors also read online people had the same problem with it.

I had a similar issue a few years back. Mine turned out to be an open rear hatch window. I had probably pressed the rear hatch button on the key fob by accident one day. The hatch just released enough to intermittently operate the alarm switch. I just re-closed the hatch window and end of problem. I understand that a defective side door latch switch can also cause an intermittent beep. My beep seemed to be coming from the right dash area but hard to narrow down.

Do you have that progressive snapshot? I had it that thing beeped sometimes . I also don't recommend it at all because it destroyed one of my O2 sensors also read online people had the same problem with it.

No, Progressive Snapshot. That's a good thing to remember though, thanks.

I had a similar issue a few years back. Mine turned out to be an open rear hatch window. I had probably pressed the rear hatch button on the key fob by accident one day. The hatch just released enough to intermittently operate the alarm switch. I just re-closed the hatch window and end of problem. I understand that a defective side door latch switch can also cause an intermittent beep. My beep seemed to be coming from the right dash area but hard to narrow down.

I accidentally did this once myself too, but it didn't make any noise, it just said open tailgate in the status gauge. I've gone through and open and closed all the doors, windows, and any other thing like that. No luck.

One thing I have wondered about is whether it could have something to do with a blown fuse or something like that? Is that possible?

It's gonna blow!!

That's a bummer, but I'll 3rd the after market device. Good luck finding it.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder myself if it's going to blow! lol!

Not a sound that I have ever heard of in my 05. I 2nd the after market device idea.
Subscribing... Let us know if you find it...

Thanks JP, I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully, with all of your help, I can figure out what it is. I certainly appreciate all of your help, thanks! : )

Run a carfax on your ex. I'm curious if it was a rental car in the past. I bought mine used from a wholesale dealer. They had to remove some tracking device they said was causing problems before I could have it. Although I don't know what the problem was or if it was beeping. I did confirm with the dealer that after I saw the car fax and saw my ex was a rental car in the past that the tracker was from the rental company.

Run a carfax on your ex. I'm curious if it was a rental car in the past. I bought mine used from a wholesale dealer. They had to remove some tracking device they said was causing problems before I could have it. Although I don't know what the problem was or if it was beeping. I did confirm with the dealer that after I saw the car fax and saw my ex was a rental car in the past that the tracker was from the rental company.

The tracking device is a GPS that some high-risk car dealers (as well as rental car companies) typically use. Which brings me back to my post above and theory that this is what is actually beeping in the truck.

AHA!!!! I finally figured out what it was last week. there's a DVD player installed where the dome light was, but one of the special features is that there's a panel on the back end of the center console where you can plug in a game console like an Xbox, so the kids can play video games as well as watch movies.

Anyhow, there's a power switch on that panel and it was in the On position. I discovered it after trying to trace the sound and taking a closer look at the center console.

So yes, those of you that suggested that it was some aftermarket type thing were right. : )

Thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it!! : )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the update. Glad you found it.

Back