Differences between the Sport and Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between the Sport and Limited

NY1PR2012

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
There have been many discusions about the options that you can get in the Explorer Limited that are not available in the Sport. While many of us can live without many of those options in the Sport there are those that are still confused thinking that some of these options are also available in the Sport. I have taken the time to summarize them so everyone knows what you can have in the Limited and not the Sport.

These are not available options in the Explorer Sport.

1.Active Park Assist
2.Lane Keep Assist
3.Rain Sensing Wipers
4.HID HeadLamps with Auto High Beams
5.Heated Sterring Wheel
6.PowerFold Third Row Seats
7.Second Row Center Floor Console
8.Luxury Seating Package

In the Sport as well as the Limited you can order Second Row bucket seats but in the Sport you can't order the center console because it is only available in the Limited and in the Sport is what Ford calls "Pass Thru"

In Both the Limited and the Sport you can order them with ,

1.Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Warning System with Brake Support
2.Bliss( Blind Spot Information System) with Cross Trafic Alert
3.Heated and Cooled front row seats
4.Power Tilt Telescoping Steering wheel
5.10 way passenger seat
6.Power liftgate
7.Voice Acativated Navigation System with SiriusXM travel link and Rear View Camera
8.Inflatable Rear Seatbelts for Second Row Outboard Seating Positions
9. Dual Panel Moonroof
10.Trailer Tow package
11.Ambient Lighting Package
12.Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start
13.Power Adjustable Pedals with memory
14.Remote Start System

and of course the few things that you can't get on the Limited but you can get on the Sport are,

The 3.5L Ecoboost Engine Direct fuel injection and twin turbochargers,the Charcoal Black Sienna Interior Seats with Contrast-stitched, leather-trimmed,the sport-tuned independent front and rear suspension systems that help provide a smooth and comfortable ride and also helps deliver precise handling,Unique interior and exterior accents, Distinctive headlamp and taillamp blackout treatment, Performance paddle-shift interface that provides the ease of an automatic transmission with the lively acceleration of a manual which works in concert with the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 to provide enhanced performance.A Bold, Distinctive Look,Unique black grille,Exclusive Explorer badging,Embossed black liftgate accent,Lighted front scuff plates.

I think I have covered everything but if there is anything I did not mention please feel free to ad or correct me if I have made a mistake.

Best regards to all,

Carlos

My 2013 Explorer Sport Photos,
D73-0220BBB21BAE-1439-0000008DA465B1AC_zps193bf47d.jpg

ExplorerSport25_zps6da2054c.jpg

ExplorerSport22_zpscfb94721.jpg

ExplorerSport30_zps42cd8cfa.jpg

ExplorerSport31_zps08532977.jpg

ExplorerSport6_zpseed6eb3a.jpg

My 2012 Explorer Limited,

DSC04521.jpg

DSC04530.jpg

DSC04527.jpg

DSC04520.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

DSC04514.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

was these specs you list for the 2013 model? The 2014 Sport states the 2nd row console is now an option. Just want to try to clarify. Thanks!

was these specs you list for the 2013 model? The 2014 Sport states the 2nd row console is now an option. Just want to try to clarify. Thanks!

I just ordered a 2014 Sport with the second row bucket seats and the center console. The center console wasn't available for the Sport in 2013 thus why I waited.

Oh - and the wheels :) :) :)

The Sport's steering gear is solidly mounted to the front subframe and Ford replaced a bushing at each rear-wheel knuckle with a bearing. Larger brakes. 1/2 wider wheels. Specifically tuned all-wheel drive.

Is that all? Lol

True - and one thing we noticed last night @ a red light next to a new limited...
the sports are 2 to 4 inches lower than the Limited's...

a result of the better springs, etc... giving it better handling...

True - and one thing we noticed last night @ a red light next to a new limited...
the sports are 2 to 4 inches lower than the Limited's...

a result of the better springs, etc... giving it better handling...

We are the corner carvers ;)

hmmm did you tweak your stock front license plate holder on the Lmtd?

All

I am considering a move from 2012 Limited to 2014 Sport and wondered if these differences still exist as below or if these are now options on the 2014 sport ?

Thanks

WC

There have been many discusions about the options that you can get in the Explorer Limited that are not available in the Sport. While many of us can live without many of those options in the Sport there are those that are still confused thinking that some of these options are also available in the Sport. I have taken the time to summarize them so everyone knows what you can have in the Limited and not the Sport.

These are not available options in the Explorer Sport.

1.Active Park Assist
2.Lane Keep Assist
3.Rain Sensing Wipers
5.Heated Sterring Wheel
8.Luxury Seating Package

In the Sport as well as the Limited you can order Second Row bucket seats but in the Sport you can't order the center console because it is only available in the Limited and in the Sport is what Ford calls "Pass Thru"

In Both the Limited and the Sport you can order them with ,

1.Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Warning System with Brake Support
2.Bliss( Blind Spot Information System) with Cross Trafic Alert
3.Heated and Cooled front row seats
4.Power Tilt Telescoping Steering wheel
5.10 way passenger seat
6.Power liftgate
7.Voice Acativated Navigation System with SiriusXM travel link and Rear View Camera
8.Inflatable Rear Seatbelts for Second Row Outboard Seating Positions
9. Dual Panel Moonroof
10.Trailer Tow package
11.Ambient Lighting Package
12.Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start
13.Power Adjustable Pedals with memory
14.Remote Start System

and of course the few things that you can't get on the Limited but you can get on the Sport are,

The 3.5L Ecoboost Engine Direct fuel injection and twin turbochargers,the Charcoal Black Sienna Interior Seats with Contrast-stitched, leather-trimmed,the sport-tuned independent front and rear suspension systems that help provide a smooth and comfortable ride and also helps deliver precise handling,Unique interior and exterior accents, Distinctive headlamp and taillamp blackout treatment, Performance paddle-shift interface that provides the ease of an automatic transmission with the lively acceleration of a manual which works in concert with the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 to provide enhanced performance.A Bold, Distinctive Look,Unique black grille,Exclusive Explorer badging,Embossed black liftgate accent,Lighted front scuff plates.

I think I have covered everything but if there is anything I did not mention please feel free to ad or correct me if I have made a mistake.

Best regards to all,

Carlos

My 2013 Explorer Sport Photos,
D73-0220BBB21BAE-1439-0000008DA465B1AC_zps193bf47d.jpg

ExplorerSport25_zps6da2054c.jpg

ExplorerSport22_zpscfb94721.jpg

ExplorerSport30_zps42cd8cfa.jpg

ExplorerSport31_zps08532977.jpg

ExplorerSport6_zpseed6eb3a.jpg

My 2012 Explorer Limited,

DSC04521.jpg

DSC04530.jpg

DSC04527.jpg

DSC04520.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

DSC04514.jpg

Hi Wildcat-1

Tonight I turned in my 2013 Limited full load for the factory ordered full load 2014 SPORT

The SPORT is awesome Im glad I made the change but there are a couple things I miss.

1. Heated Steering Wheel will be missed

2. PowerFold 3rd Row will be missed but I didn't know until tonight the 2nd row buckets in the SPORT don't have the button for AutoFold, its 100% manual.

3. Lane Keep/Departure system was excellent and will be missed.

4. Auto Park Feature I used a couple times to show people then never again. I think this feature is something that really depends are where you live. I never need to parallel park, but if your in an area where you do then its important. I wont miss it.

5. HID's are something I will miss but an OEM upgrade might be a possibility.

6. Rain Sense wipers Im pretty sure are on the 2014 along with 2nd row console as I have one.

7. I wish 2nd row buckets in SPORT were heated too.

8 My SPORT has the Luxury Seat Package standard, there's no upgrade from the SPORT seats. I love the contrast stitching.

So bottom line is.....whats more important to you, driving dynamics or creature comforts?

Too me after having a Limited and driving a SPORT the decision was easy.

The SPORT is so much fun to drive there's no comparison.

Two more things I noticed,

When a text message comes in to MFT on the Limited I could hear it with steering wheel controls as the GUI appeared in the right side DIC screen but in the SPORT its only in the main MFT screen

Also in the SPORT there is no ability to control Climate from the steering wheel in the right DIC, like the Limited

1.Active Park Assist
2.Lane Keep Assist
3.Rain Sensing Wipers
5.Heated Sterring Wheel
8.Luxury Seating Package

SGT

Thanks so much for your reply, I had no idea there was still such a big gap between fully loaded limiteds & sports. Like you however I am interested in the peppier engine so do plan on driving both before deciding.

I also wanted to ask what phone you were using with your Explorer as with the iPhone I don't think I've ever noticed the screen etc that you mentioned on the limited Explorer..

I also have a question regarding lane departure, is this meant to kick in whenever you go across a line without indicating etc or only if that lane is occupied by another vehicle ?

Thanks

WC

Also in the SPORT there is no ability to control Climate from the steering wheel in the right DIC, like the Limited

Actually, Ford removed the Climate Control option from the right side of the main dashboard on ALL Explorers for 2014, not just the Sport Model. Have no idea as to why, most likely as they want people to use the Climate Voice commands more and look at the dashboard less.

SGT

Thanks so much for your reply, I had no idea there was still such a big gap between fully loaded limiteds & sports. Like you however I am interested in the peppier engine so do plan on driving both before deciding.

I also wanted to ask what phone you were using with your Explorer as with the iPhone I don't think I've ever noticed the screen etc that you mentioned on the limited Explorer..

I also have a question regarding lane departure, is this meant to kick in whenever you go across a line without indicating etc or only if that lane is occupied by another vehicle ?

Thanks

WC

Im using iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.4 and there was always a duplicate phone answer or text message screen for me in the right DIC in the 2013 Limited. Im guess this is removed for all 2014 models like right side DIC Climate GUI.

Lane departure is a camera mounted up on the windshield just in front of the rearview mirror. It reads lane markings both right and left lane markings.Even in hard rain which I think is amazing.

It will move the vehicle back center in the lane, it has two settings, steering wheel vibrate and lane centering. It cancels if you use your turn signal to cross the lanes. If you take your hands off the wheel it displays a message not to let go of the wheel.

It works flawlessly, I was very impressed and miss it on my SPORT.

SGT
So lane departure is meant to work regardless of another vehicle being in the lane you are drifting into ? The reason I ask is that I have it on my 2013 limited but it never seems to do anything even with steering wheel feedback set to aggressive. When I brought it up with the dealer they stated only works when another vehicle is in the lane you are moving into, this didn't seem to ring true for me as it is 'lane departure' not 'lane departure into other traffic' ;)

Thanks

WC

One small change to your details list of differences. The Limited offers a 10 way passenger seat while the Sport gives you a 6 way power seat in the 2014 Sport.

I like many Sport owners are a bit frustrated that Ford doesn't have a 402a package (mirror of the 302a package of the Limited) giving you the option to get many more features, especially the safety features. With Ford Explorer's, you really can't have it all! That's frustrating because in 2009, I could have it all (all options that is) with my Ford Escape.

SGT
So lane departure is meant to work regardless of another vehicle being in the lane you are drifting into ? The reason I ask is that I have it on my 2013 limited but it never seems to do anything even with steering wheel feedback set to aggressive. When I brought it up with the dealer they stated only works when another vehicle is in the lane you are moving into, this didn't seem to ring true for me as it is 'lane departure' not 'lane departure into other traffic' ;)

Thanks

WC

As usual the dealer is completely wrong, I have used it on a Freeway with no one around and it centered the vehicle in the lane.

Go to a different dealer, that one is misinformed.

One small change to your details list of differences. The Limited offers a 10 way passenger seat while the Sport gives you a 6 way power seat in the 2014 Sport.

I like many Sport owners are a bit frustrated that Ford doesn't have a 402a package (mirror of the 302a package of the Limited) giving you the option to get many more features, especially the safety features. With Ford Explorer's, you really can't have it all! That's frustrating because in 2009, I could have it all (all options that is) with my Ford Escape.

I agree

Heated steering wheel, rain sense wipers, HIDS as a minimum but lane keep, powerfold seats would be nice.

Im told if they added that they would be around a $60,000 Explorer and their marketing research says no one will pay that.

SGT
You weren't wrong ! I went to the dealer today and tried a 2014 Sport and my goodness do I like the punch that engine has ! I was looking at the red and it really offsets the black nicely.

Now the big decision as you mention is, is it worth dropping features for the sport. Some of the nice to haves in the limited I can do without but as others have mentioned the safety features would be nice. Really is a shame they don't add the features from the limited. I know you mentioned it would hit around $60k but I think it would be worth it.

At least you get the power telescoping wheel :)

Decisions, decisions.

WC

Hi Wildcat-1

Tonight I turned in my 2013 Limited full load for the factory ordered full load 2014 SPORT

The SPORT is awesome Im glad I made the change but there are a couple things I miss.

1. Heated Steering Wheel will be missed

2. PowerFold 3rd Row will be missed but I didn't know until tonight the 2nd row buckets in the SPORT don't have the button for AutoFold, its 100% manual.

3. Lane Keep/Departure system was excellent and will be missed.

4. Auto Park Feature I used a couple times to show people then never again. I think this feature is something that really depends are where you live. I never need to parallel park, but if your in an area where you do then its important. I wont miss it.

5. HID's are something I will miss but an OEM upgrade might be a possibility.

6. Rain Sense wipers Im pretty sure are on the 2014 along with 2nd row console as I have one.

7. I wish 2nd row buckets in SPORT were heated too.

8 My SPORT has the Luxury Seat Package standard, there's no upgrade from the SPORT seats. I love the contrast stitching.

So bottom line is.....whats more important to you, driving dynamics or creature comforts?

Too me after having a Limited and driving a SPORT the decision was easy.

The SPORT is so much fun to drive there's no comparison.

Two more things I noticed,

When a text message comes in to MFT on the Limited I could hear it with steering wheel controls as the GUI appeared in the right side DIC screen but in the SPORT its only in the main MFT screen

1.Active Park Assist
2.Lane Keep Assist
3.Rain Sensing Wipers
5.Heated Sterring Wheel
8.Luxury Seating Package

Explorer, the 401a package on the sport states it adds 10 way power seat, is that wrong ?

Thanks

WC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All

I also heard that on the limited switching out the stock air filters for K&N can help improve the pickup of the limited, anyone tried this ? Certainly don't expect this to do miracles but letting the vehicle breath more should enhance something (not expecting SPORT performance) :)

WC

Back