bats 88 Bronco II Build Up aka Project Second Chance | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bats 88 Bronco II Build Up aka Project Second Chance

Glad you guys are Ok.
Too bad about the bushing, I junked two 1354 cases after trying to sell them for $50 each, not one call.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's true. And did ya hear about the two new inlets that opened up near joans beach and the east ebd of moriches? Also damn that's gots be a real pain for ya. I wish ya the best of luck!

I was at Smith Point over the weekend. The erosion is insane but it looks like we got a new surf spot. (Not that I surf.) Doubt the outter beach will be open in the spring. :(

The Bronco's been a mixed bag lately. I might be over tired from work and beat from working in the cold.

I had a brilliant stroke of luck and located the detent bushing that shot off the transfer case. Sitting pretty on top of one of the cabinets. Great! Put it back on. Applied my RTV and sealed that sucker up! Next morning I'm all excited that I finally get a manual t-case like the big boys aaaaannndddd it doesn't work. I moved the shifter to test 4wd engagement and couldn't get the front output shaft to turn. Fought with it for a while and said F it. Lucky it was still on my bench.

Bolted up the original eletric t-case from the Explorer, drive shafts and harness. Now I can't find the 4WD computer. It's here somewhere. Arg.

Put the James Duff xmember back on the transmission and loosened the brackets like when I put it on originally. Had an OH SHI- moment when Ifound half the hardware was loose. Thinking locktite when I put it back together.

Did some misc. cable and vac line connections then called it a day since the wind chill feels like 30* right now.

N Y S DMV Emissions testing.

Checked the testing requirement, because I am also thinking about doing some tinkering. Latest reg is right directly from DMV.

Some vehicles are exempt from the emissions inspection program. Your passenger car or light truck does not have to be inspected for emissions if it is:

Less than two model years old;
26 model years old or older;
Registered with historical plates; or,
Electric-powered only.

think the outer beach will be open in the summer?

Merry Christmas to all following, lurking and creeping in this thread!

Sorry there haven't been many updates lately. I'm moving up the ranks at work which means bigger workload, more travel and more money. The last bit is nice since I can afford new parts instead of second hand. Unfortunately, it takes a toll on my energy levels which are low enough already. Couple that with the damp cold that Long Island has been going through and it's no wonder movement has stagnated.

The engine swap part of the build is inching closer and closer to completion. When I get a chance to work on it, it's mostly been little stuff like making sure all the grounds are connected and making sure things are connected. So close yet so far.

The last major thing I did was the fuel lines. Now the Bronco II has 3 different things in the line with the fuel lines: a secondary pump, a fuel filter and a fuel recollecter? I forget what exactly the last one does but it's another canister on the return (?) line. Whereas, the Ex just has an inline fuel filter.

My solution was to start at the block and use the Explorer fuel lines from there back. Due to the location of the BII fuel pump, the Explorer lines didn't quite reach. Well they did but too much bending was involved. My solution was to use the plastic BII fuel lines from the pump and join them too the metal Explorer fuel lines.

All I did was cut off the EXPLORER quick disconnects and slip the Bronco II fuel lines over the metal lines and clamp them on. The Bronco II lines were prebent and lined up beautifully. The Bronco was fuel injected so I don't think the pressure will be a problem. It used the older style connects with the clips that held the lines on the fuel fittings. I think I should be ok.

So I finally had a free moment in between the festive hullabaloo to sit down and make a 2013 project plan. The main goal for 2013 is to get this ******* running reliably. I've already missed my Thanksgiving deadline but I'm hoping for March. By that time it should be able to move under its own power. After that, it's lots of clean up, ie putting the interior back in and other creature comforts.

I know people have hopes of the truck making an appearance at Carlisle. No doubt it would be awesome to see it on the show field/hill next year but I can't know for sure. Given the migration from All Ford Nationals to All Mustang Nationals, I don't know if it warrants a trip even it it is running.

But I digress, must be the egg nog. :confused: Either way I intend to see this build through to the running phase. Best laid plans often go astray but taking the long route will still get you there. 2013 has some exciting stuff planned so stay tuned...

Little steps are still steps

Given the nice weather this weekend (ie sunny and not gusty and frigid) I planned to put in some hours on the *******. That didn't happen on Saturday because I took an early morning trail ride out east with a friend of mine.

Today, however, saw some progress. Dropped the transmission pan to install a new tranny filter. Happy to report that other than a darkness in the fluid that settled to the bottom of the pan, all looks well. Was nice and red and didn't smell of burn. Cleaned up the pan, reinstalled and went inside and warmed up because my fingers went numb.

Once warmed up I started on the exhaust. I couldn't use the Bronco II y-pipe because the Explorer has 2 x O2 sensors. Drilled out the old bolts and and bolted it up. Originally I planned to use the Explorer cats and muffler but they were rusted out. I put the Bronco II cats up to the y-pipe and whaddya know, they fit! The plan is to just use the BII exhaust from there back. The muffler is less than a year old.

Didn't know that about the weldable 02 bungs. The Explorer setup worked just fine once I drilled out the f'in bolts. I've killed a small army of drill bits on this project. A few years ago, some one gave me one of those Walmart special sets of drill bits. Has something like 60 'super hard' bits of various sizes. I'm down to about 30. I got tired of snapping or dulling bits every minute so I picked up a handful of decent bits to get me through.

Exhaust went on with out a hitch since it was in the exact same place as before. New gaskets and bolts all around. Transmission pan was sealed up, that sucked. I realized once I tightened everything up that a little bit of the lip of the heat shield was caught in between the pan and the transmission. I loosened two bolts and pulled it out. Might have torn a little bit of the gasket but I'll wait and see what happens when I get juice in.

replaces all the clamps on the fuel lines. The ones I had there for mock ups were cheap chinese ****.

It's getting there. I think the biggest obstacle is the dashboard. I JB Welded the Explorer brackets into the BII. Lined up perfectly but they didn't have a clean surface so the damn thing fell off. Also, it looks like some sort of alarm was installed since there's a bunch of wires cut and spliced (poorly) into a relay and a little black box. Need to investigate what it is.

Also, it looks like some sort of alarm was installed since there's a bunch of wires cut and spliced (poorly) into a relay and a little black box. Need to investigate what it is.

Hope you don't find traces of fertilizer or any other substance that could go BOOM from some previous owner :eek:

My countdown to ignition list is getting shorter and shorter. Barring any major setbacks, March in entirely plausible for a run date.

This weekend I tackled the EGR tube. When removing the exhaust manifolds, I was unable to remove the EGR tube from it. I used a small pipe cutter and cut it off just after the bend. I had planned to just run some tubing to the new replacement I picked up but why cut up brand new parts?

Through some wiggling and squeezing, I was able to get my impact gun and a 1 1/16th deep socket on the nut and with some gentle persuasion from the torch and PB Blaster I got that sucker off. Got the new replacement in hand tight then my fingers went numb so I decided to warm up by the fire with some whisky.

This emissions stuff sucks but I'm that much closer. All that's really left after this is replace the tq converter nuts and the starter and figure out the under dash wiring cluster f.

i cannot wait to see this thing actually run, and possibly drive on the beach :O amazing

This weekend turned out to be a major head ache. We got hit with blizzard Nemo. I'm not sure of the proper nomenclature or when we started naming blizzards...

The big dig out yesterday was ridiculous. Shoveled the 4 cars out and THEN my dad finally gets the snowblower going. But I digress yet again.

EGR tube fixed, Just un bolted some stuff and had some one hold while I managed the bottom nut on.

Fuel line quick disconnect for return line wore out the spring. Probably just do a plastic replacement segment. Flare the metal line and double clamp like I did originally. God those things look like crap but they'll get me rolling.

I'm impatient.

Gave up on using plastic fuel lines. They kept cracking or bending despite my best efforts to tame them. Ended up going rubber high pressure hoses with fuel line clamps. Still not as neat secure as I want them but I'll take care of it once I'm running.

After that, I reconnected a few sensors and the computer and finally put a battery in! Used the screwdriver on the solenoid method of starting. First try the engine turned over as strong as ever!! :D

However, there's no spark and I still don't have the dash harness in place to do KOEO tests. Soon though. Soooooon!

Thudercats are gooooo!

Exciting weekend! Saturday I welded on the dashboard brackets. I'm a long way from welding my own roll cage but damn is that cool!

Today I was in overdrive. Explorer dash is mounted completely and 90% back together. Previous owner installed some kind alarm system and did a really ****ty job. Like wires zip tied together and then electrical taped. Tore out what I could and electrical taped it back up MUCH MORE NEATLY.

Topped off the fluids and went to turn the key. Lights and fuel pump but no crank. Used the screwdriver trick and and the first jump she sprang back to life!

So far no leaks other than a fuel line that I hastily clamped! Sounds nice. The door chime even works!

Didn't get to test drive because the trans is acting weird. Truck started in 1st gear (I think). The shift cable was broken so I crawled under and manually shifted into park (or what I think is park.) Truck still rolls. But I'll save that for another day.

I can finally get some rest.

I can finally get some rest.

*kicks bats otta bed, and cracks whip*

(said in soup nazi voice) NO SLEEP FO U!

AFN is only 74 days, 7 hours, 50 mins and one second away!!!!! get back to work!!!!!!! :frustrate

oh, congrats btw. hearing a motor come back to life in something else, is a great thing, isnt it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh, congrats btw. hearing a motor come back to life in something else, is a great thing, isnt it?

It's an indescribable feeling like seeing your new born for the first time (or so I would imagine). Tears were shed, bottles were popped and cigars smoked.

Back