BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

i dont know how many times this has been asked and answered on here but, if i skip the relay and just ran the two brown wires straight to the switch what are the downfalls if any? pretty much just wondering if the relay is a must because i dont have a relay but i pretty much just put a switch between the two pieces brown wire?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know how many times this has been asked and answered on here but, if i skip the relay and just ran the two brown wires straight to the switch what are the downfalls if any? pretty much just wondering if the relay is a must because i dont have a relay but i pretty much just put a switch between the two pieces brown wire?

You do not need the relay, the switch will be fine.

The risk with running w/o a relay is:

1) over-driving the switch. Switches can only handle so much power until they are overloaded, which could lead to a meltdown and/or fire.
2) depending on the switch design (material, etc..), electricity could go through the operator.

Not saying that these things will happen, but they are risks and with risks, percentages is the game.

going on about 2 years since ive done this mod. never used a relay and havent burned up the switch or melted the wiring

Same here, just not as long as Kazer. Somewhere in here someone said there wasn't enough power going through switch to justify a relay. I like it, except the part when my wife keeps asking "what's that thing for again". Lol

You have the same risk of getting shocked with or with out the relay. And if you get a 10 amp swich and it melts you need to take it to a shop the specializes in electrical work. You car is going to catch fire the wire isn't thick enough to carry that kinda load.

I don't know what the fuse amp rating that carries that load is but it seems if you got a switch and wiring that would match or exceed that rating you'd be okay. So if it's a 20 amp fuse, you'd need a switch that's rated for 20 amps or more and wiring that would carry that load (plus a little extra maybe).

So I've read through this whole thing and still have a couple questions. Will this work on an 06 with the RSC or do I just need to hold down the traction button for the 5 seconds or whatever to completely disengage before i'm fully able to let the rear tires spin completely after doing the mod? Also is there a complete disengage for the RSC to where it's just off all the time no matter what? Thanks for everyone's help!

ok I have seen this question has been asked countless times in the over 5.5 years of this thread and 23 pages and it has only been answered with speculation. has anyone that has completed this mod noticed or gotten an increase in mpg?

ok I have seen this question has been asked countless times in the over 5.5 years of this thread and 23 pages and it has only been answered with speculation. has anyone that has completed this mod noticed or gotten an increase in mpg?

While this falls back to speculation since I have not done the BMW, I can say with 100% confidence that in no way, shape or form will you gain MPG from the BWM.

The only thing the BWM is doing is stopping the motor on the transfer-case from engaging 4x4 when the wheels slip. Otherwise, everything that was moving before when you are cruising down the hwy is still moving after you do the BWM.

but you would think since its not activating the front drive at all that just like any other 4wd you would get 5-10 mpg increase over driving around in 4wd..

but you would think since its not activating the front drive at all that just like any other 4wd you would get 5-10 mpg increase over driving around in 4wd..

If a 2wd Explorer got on avg 5-10 mpg better than a 4x4, I would have converted mine to 2wd or would have bought a 2wd a long time ago. The difference in MPG between a 2wd and 4wd would be no more than 2mpg at best IMO.

Secondly, when you are driving, the CV shafts and front driveshaft are still rotating, it's just free spooling at the transfer case. That's why the BWM will have zero effect on mpg. Make sense?

Lastly, while I agree that getting the best mpg possible is always nice, I knew when I bought my Explorer that getting great mpg was the least of my concerns.

going on about 2 years since ive done this mod. never used a relay and havent burned up the switch or melted the wiring

I did this MOD today, and it works perfect without a relay. I really doubt there is much going through this wire, nor do I think it will burn up. the wiring for it is not a big guage to start with. ill argue to the fact there is no risk of burning your Ex with a decent switch and same size wire.

Can I do this mod with my '04 AWD? I'm gonna guess I can't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.. lol

You cannot as your vehicle is running in 4wd all the time hence the All Wheel Drive name.

I did this MOD today, and it works perfect without a relay. I really doubt there is much going through this wire, nor do I think it will burn up. the wiring for it is not a big guage to start with. ill argue to the fact there is no risk of burning your Ex with a decent switch and same size wire.

I did mine on the weekend just gone, and once again didn't use a relay since it only has less than 10A going through the switch.

I wired in a light again, and when the switch is on, the light "just" lights up (pretty faint, but it is on). When I start the truck and then switch to 4X4 High, the light comes on properly. Also comes fully on if 4X4 low is selected (car in neutral, foot on brake).

When in 4X4 Auto, I can now tell hen 4WD is engaging by looking at the light (as well as "feeling" it engage - especially at low speed doing sharp turns) - ie when taking off quick in the wet, or when travelling at speed over loose gravel.

With switch off, light is also off, and only 2WD is possible.

I need to do this mod but I am so lazy... lol I feel like paying someone else to do it!

picture aren't valid try updating them please!!! thank you!

The OP hasn't been on the forum in 5 years. I doubt he will update the pics.

If you do the mod, take pics and post 'em. I'm sure it will help people in the future.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back