01STrunner's Sport Trac D44 SAS/SOA | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01STrunner's Sport Trac D44 SAS/SOA

A little planning and 4 months later, my Sport Trac finally has a solid axle in the front.

Current Look:
6D0453F1-35E9-4A89-B970-DF0C03BCD82C_zpsrluzy84u.jpg

Front Axle

- Low Pinion Dana 44 from a 1988 Grand Wagoneer
- 6x5.5 bolt pattern
- 4.88 gears (still open diff for now)
- Superwinch manual hubs
- Disc brakes
- Custom spindles tapped for hi-steer
- Custom 1.5"x.25" wall DOM drag link and tie rod
- Stock Grand Wagoneer 7leaf pack flipped to SOA
- Bilstein 5100 shocks (originally for Jeep JK with 6" lift)
- Ford Super Duty steering box (pre-drilled for hydro-assist in the future)
- Drop pitman arm for Super Duty with 4" lift
- Front stainless brake lines for stock Jeep TJ
- Custom sway bar end links
- New Moog ball joints and bushings
- Grand Wagoneer track bar mounted to frame rail

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great thread!
IMO it was worth every bit of it though because of all the awesome looks and questions I get about. Not to mention the reaction Jeepers have on the trails when I follow them up places.

:thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Let me ask you this then... so i honestly LOVE my mounty. but with maxing out the TT/ shackles with 32's (yes i could do body lift with 33's) it did great at bundy hill but it was quite obviously because of small lift and long wheelbase that my friends wrangler was kicking my butt.
Is it worth spending 2-4 grand on a SAS/ SOA which would give me the lift i want, a 4 door offroad vehicle, and bigger tires to clear a lot more trails. or would it be better to just buy a 4door wrangler and build the crap out of it? I cant decide i do love the 4doors but if i could get my mounty to do the same thing and not have to buy a brand new vehicle that would be ideal! (i mean heck my truck hasnt even hit 150k yet (i expect 250k out of it easily)... and if i get into the state police i will have a take home car, and a street bike for DD's. so could make a pretty BA mounty.
Would just need to find someone to assist in the build. so what you think would that be worth all the work to do it? or would it be better to jsut get a newer jeep.... also mine is AWD V8

I agree with MidnightRebel. The Mounty, especially since you have the 5.0, would be a great trail rig. It's got a fairly short wheelbase with short overhangs that will definitely make a huge difference on the trails. Look at it this way, a very large number of Jeeps try to extend their wheelbase not only for even smaller overhangs but also because a little longer wheelbase is more stable. Personally, I would rather have a Mounty than a 4 door JK. The new 3.6L Jeep engines just arent as proven as the old 4.0 high outputs, and most people I've met with JKs dont like the new engine as much. The Mounty will be a bit more roomier and forgiving on the street as well. It's just my opinion but I would say spend maybe $4k instead of dropping 3 or 4 times that on a jeep you'll still have to build up anyway.

This truck looks awesome, did you have this at Truck Nationals last year? the truck its self looks pretty familiar.

Yeah I met up with another member on here that has a black ST on 33s. When I was in Carlisle, it only had the TT/shackles and BL on 35s.

I'd shop around. Look around and do a lot of research in the SAS registry section here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63.

Your fist decision will have to be whether you want full width (from a 1/2 ton+ truck) or narrow width (Early Bronco or Full SIze Jeeps) axles. You will need a front axle with a drivers side drop to line up with a transfer case. You'll have to swap in one from earlier F150s. (90s era I believe but I dont remember the year range or the tcase model but it's a somewhat common mod for 5.0 AWD guys) I'd suggest starting a thread in the modified 2nd gen forum and you can ask questions and have a specific place to keep track of part numbers and decisions/ideas. That's what I did and it made it a lot easier to go through and get parts.

I agree with MidnightRebel. The Mounty, especially since you have the 5.0, would be a great trail rig. It's got a fairly short wheelbase with short overhangs that will definitely make a huge difference on the trails. Look at it this way, a very large number of Jeeps try to extend their wheelbase not only for even smaller overhangs but also because a little longer wheelbase is more stable. Personally, I would rather have a Mounty than a 4 door JK. The new 3.6L Jeep engines just arent as proven as the old 4.0 high outputs, and most people I've met with JKs dont like the new engine as much. The Mounty will be a bit more roomier and forgiving on the street as well. It's just my opinion but I would say spend maybe $4k instead of dropping 3 or 4 times that on a jeep you'll still have to build up anyway.

honestly... i think this is the route i will go! it sounds more practical for my needs. i mean like i said my truck really is in pretty good shape still. And if the engine last then really it would be perfect. it did great offroading only issue was bottoming out one time and being a little big for a couple of the trails (may have been ATV only trails haha)...

Would you be up to help me do this? If i get into Indiana State Police, and save up the money during academy i would be ready to do it spring of next year.

Yeah I met up with another member on here that has a black ST on 33s. When I was in Carlisle, it only had the TT/shackles and BL on 35s.

Yup, thought that was you, was with my wife and daughter walking around. Are you going to have it there again this year? Comfortable with it enough to take a highway drive with it?

honestly... i think this is the route i will go! it sounds more practical for my needs. i mean like i said my truck really is in pretty good shape still. And if the engine last then really it would be perfect. it did great offroading only issue was bottoming out one time and being a little big for a couple of the trails (may have been ATV only trails haha)...

Would you be up to help me do this? If i get into Indiana State Police, and save up the money during academy i would be ready to do it spring of next year.

I'd love to help but a lot of it is really over my head. I had a buddy that owns a shop line it up and do the steering. I know what you mean but wanting the help. I was in the same boat earlier this year. I wanted to know that it would hold up going down the road at 75mph.

Yup, thought that was you, was with my wife and daughter walking around. Are you going to have it there again this year? Comfortable with it enough to take a highway drive with it?

It's cool that you recognize the truck from the show. I'm not so sure if I'll be headed up there this year or not. I'd love to but I'm not sure if I'll have the weekend free. And yeah I can drive it on the highway no problem. I keep it to about 70 but I could go faster if I didn't care about fuel mileage at all.

I'd love to help but a lot of it is really over my head. I had a buddy that owns a shop line it up and do the steering. I know what you mean but wanting the help. I was in the same boat earlier this year. I wanted to know that it would hold up going down the road at 75mph.

Yea thats my only issue. its kind of my life, family, and friends lifes that are on the line if i EF it up. But yea i think starting in januaryish if i get into the academy i will start a thread start too locate some parts and what not and then go from there.

You think your buddy would be up for doing another one? I would be willing ot pay obviously, what you think he'd charge. (also sorry for jacking your thread :( )

Yea thats my only issue. its kind of my life, family, and friends lifes that are on the line if i EF it up. But yea i think starting in januaryish if i get into the academy i will start a thread start too locate some parts and what not and then go from there.

You think your buddy would be up for doing another one? I would be willing ot pay obviously, what you think he'd charge. (also sorry for jacking your thread :( )

He might be willing, I'm not sure but I think theres a few guys on here closer to you that have done a couple SAS's of their own.

He might be willing, I'm not sure but I think theres a few guys on here closer to you that have done a couple SAS's of their own.

yea ive been emailing a few shops to see what they would charge. I also PM'ed a few guys in michigan to see if theyd be up for the challange.

I appreciate you pointing that out to me Jerry. I like how simple that thing is, just hard to judge if it would clear my driveshaft and of course it is pouring outside right now so I can't look at mine to see how it would look. That build is ridiculous by the way. I can't imagine getting everything twice over and then just going with rockwells.

Looks good man, I would actually like to swap my sas/soa, bumpers, winch, sliders, etc from my 97 sport and put it in a sport trac some day.

Thanks. The longer wheelbase and overhangs kinda hurt but having the bed is great for camping.

Thats a sweet looking rig. I didn't know a Nissan could look good lol. Crossmember is done and I'll be putting pictures up soon as I can get photo bucket to work with my phone.

The front driveshaft is finally in!! With the track bar removed and the sway bars disconnected this thing just soaks up ruts and rocks. Also this is the first time I've used Low range since the 4.88s and it is really low compared to the 4.10s! No action shots as it was too cold to get out of the truck a bunch.

Not the greatest weld but we also went over every weld twice to make sure there were no gaps.

C880E393-6F32-438C-8086-D634465D8414_zpsu8fehefr.jpg

E0A31676-38C4-49B2-9C91-42C768269226_zpsqekljp57.jpg

1E57845A-8974-43B4-B803-211AFE1D944D_zpsvjxd7rya.jpg

Back