Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sarah rocked the show on a 20 year old horse. July 16-27 we will be in Albuquerque NM for the Arabian Youth Nationals.

Cool, congrats to her! You will be less than a half mile from my house. If you have any questions on the area before or during the event feel free to PM me. If all goes according to plans I will be tearing into a 2nd gen starting a SAS on it around that time.

Looking forward to following your progress

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Cool, congrats to her! You will be less than a half mile from my house. If you have any questions on the area before or during the event feel free to PM me.

Thanks, I will take you up on that.

If all goes according to plans I will be tearing into a 2nd gen starting a SAS on it around that time.

Looking forward to following your progress

Cool, start a thread when you get started and send me a link.

...You old retired guys have all the fun..:p:

...Sorry to hear about your plumbing problem though..:thumbdwn:

Thanks, it sucks.:( But, I won't have that to worry about for the next 20 years.

As far as retired, I have never been so busy. All the "honey-do's" and projects, and two part-time jobs. I have talked to a bunch of retired guys and they all say its the same; no time to relax.

Tom R.;
You can be my tool handler, chair holder down guy, and beer fetcher.:D

How about next week? I'll be your wingman any day.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Tom R.;
You can be my tool handler, chair holder down guy, and beer fetcher.:D

How about next week? I'll be your wingman any day.

Nothing will get done until I get back from New Mexico towards the end of next month. I have to focus on getting Sarah and the horses there and back. Its a royal pain in the you know what, but its my daughter's dream fulfilled.

Nothing will get done until I get back from New Mexico towards the end of next month. I have to focus on getting Sarah and the horses there and back. Its a royal pain in the you know what, but its my daughter's dream fulfilled.
This what I have look forward too....x2:eek:

Ok, where in New Mexico?

Lets see if we can all get together and maybe go to Big Bear later on in the year. Maybe start a thread.

Ok, where in New Mexico?

Lets see if we can all get together and maybe go to Big Bear later on in the year. Maybe start a thread.

Try to keep up, Tom.;)

I am taking Sarah to Arabian Youth Nationals, which is at the Expo New Mexico, which is located in sunny Albuquerque. Leaving July 15, coming back on the 29th.

Back to the SAS:
I was looking at the Duff track bar / panhard mount.

http://www.dufftuff.com/SAS_Track_Bar_Bracket_Bronco_II_Ranger_Explorer_p/5410.htm

It would solve the problem of having to plate the frame on the left side and then weld a mount without blocking the steering box bolt holes. The only issues is the panhard mount is directly below the frame, which would make it a few inches shorter than a mount located outside the frame rail, and I could not locate the new axle a inch or two forward like I was planning.
I have seen a few who have done an SAS with this mount with no reported problems. Once its bolted in place, the plan would be to weld it in, which would keep it from ever coming loose, and reinforce the engine cross member. Then, plate the cross member from the end of the track bar mount to the other frame rail and cut off the front of the cross member where it hangs down. It should stiffen the frame up in the front, which is an issue since I don't have the cross brace that used to be located between the transmission brace and the engine brace. It got in the way of the drive shaft, so it went away. It would also give me more diff clearance without the "lip" of the engine cross brace.

Sound like a plan??

I would move the axle forward. If I was you would make the mount out of card board how you want it then take all the dimensions and send them to myself or Brian1 and have them cut on a cnc plasma table so you get exactly what you want.

I would move the axle forward. If I was you would make the mount out of card board how you want it then take all the dimensions and send them to myself or Brian1 and have them cut on a cnc plasma table so you get exactly what you want.
I agree. Even just an inch or two forward makes a big difference.

How does moving the front axle forward one inch help? I can see where it would help with clearance, but nothing else.

If I was going another route, I would get Ballistic's mount, plate the frame and then plate the engine cross brace. I need to call Duff and see if their bracket will work and allow me to move the axle an inch forward.
Today the FedEx guy showed up with all the rear brake parts. Need to get this started sometime this summer...

I just PM'd one of the people who used this mount. Its a no-go.
I am not using Duff's spring brackets and it is designed to be used with it.

..I vote we pick a weekend and all head down to your house and have an old time build party on this thing..:biggthump

..Plus we will get to see Matt again and I can unload these Koosies..:p:

..I vote we pick a weekend and all head down to your house and have an old time build party on this thing..:biggthump

..Plus we will get to see Matt again and I can unload these Koosies..:p:

IN! :thumbsup:

I am blushing like a little school girl.
Thanks for the support.:biggthump

Back